: Warranty question

Carvone
09-27-12, 07:13 PM
I have a GMPP Major Guard warranty on my '07 STS, today I took the car into the dealership because both of the front struts are leaking and I wanted them replaced. They called me an hour ago agreeing that they need to be replaced but said they are not covered under the warranty? I will call GMPP in the morning as they are closed for the evening and try my best to change their mind but from my research they seem to only approve
about half of the struts under warranty, no idea why.
I would like to know if anybody here has had this problem and what you did or said to make them change their minds and get it approved. Cadillac never talked to the warranty company, they just put the part number in
the computer and it comes back approved or not approved, seems they don't care either way.

DG2
09-28-12, 08:37 AM
I have a GMPP Major Guard warranty on my '07 STS, today I took the car into the dealership because both of the front struts are leaking and I wanted them replaced. They called me an hour ago agreeing that they need to be replaced but said they are not covered under the warranty? I will call GMPP in the morning as they are closed for the evening and try my best to change their mind but from my research they seem to only approve
about half of the struts under warranty, no idea why.
I would like to know if anybody here has had this problem and what you did or said to make them change their minds and get it approved. Cadillac never talked to the warranty company, they just put the part number in
the computer and it comes back approved or not approved, seems they don't care either way.

I had the Major guard on my STS and had to use a couple of times but not fir struts. The plan was great never an issue.

Unless there is a waiver in the policy fir Struts I cannot imagine they would not cover. My STS now needs front struts too but I am way past my warranty ( 179,000).

Carvone
09-28-12, 08:49 AM
Well, it appears we do not have struts on our cars?? If there is an upper control arm it is considered a shock,, and the sts has upper control arms. The service guy agreed with me that he thought they were struts but their warranty manager said they are indeed shocks. Seems they do this for warranty purposes only. GMPP will warranty struts but they only go by what the dealer calls it, and they call it a shock? I think I am done with Cadillac.

My advice is - don't invest in warranties.

Ludacrisvp
09-28-12, 09:05 AM
Try a different dealer??

malatu
09-29-12, 07:58 AM
Well, it appears we do not have struts on our cars?? If there is an upper control arm it is considered a shock,, and the sts has upper control arms. The service guy agreed with me that he thought they were struts but their warranty manager said they are indeed shocks. Seems they do this for warranty purposes only. GMPP will warranty struts but they only go by what the dealer calls it, and they call it a shock? I think I am done with Cadillac.

My advice is - don't invest in warranties.

That's why its important to know exactly what a particular warranty "doesn't cover".

Car warranties are a "crap-shoot", but they do serve a purpose.

EChas3
09-29-12, 01:53 PM
The MRC shock/strut is covered under OEM & CPO extended warranties. I thought the GMPP did, too. It's a very important question to ask if your STS is so equipped. Do you have wires connected to the tops of them?

Carvone
10-15-12, 11:36 AM
Update time....I called the other Caddy dealer across town that I bought our Escalade from, they were more than helpful and went out of their way
to make sure I was satisfied, night and day experience. They replaced both front struts (F55 suspension), one upper control arm, both upper ball joints and realigned the front end. They also found the left motor mount to be bad and replaced it. I had them drop the Transmission pan and replace the filter and fluid while it was there as that was the only fluid left in the car that hadn't been replace with new.
I thought the car was great before but I never knew it could feel as good as it does now, literally handles like it's on rails. So in the end it was not the warranty that was bad, it was yet another shady dealer trying to burn me. You know where I'm buying my next Caddy...

Pjazz
10-15-12, 04:45 PM
Wow thats alot of work. Have you had the car long. Someone must have hit a hell of a pot hole.

EChas3
10-15-12, 08:08 PM
It's amazing how some dealers get bad attitudes. They may not make quite as much on warranty repairs, but they do still make money.

You'd think in today's economy. they would be happy to have jobs...

Carvone
10-16-12, 11:27 AM
Wow thats alot of work. Have you had the car long. Someone must have hit a hell of a pot hole.

My car started out as a GM corporate vehicle for about 12 months up in Michigan, then a rich petite lady in her 60's from South Georgia drove it until I bought it last December. It has only been serviced at Cadillac dealers, which I really liked about it. You could tell this car was babied and never drove hard. I think those repairs are pretty much in line with 80K miles on these cars, sad really but it seems to be case on here.

----------

It's amazing how some dealers get bad attitudes. They may not make quite as much on warranty repairs, but they do still make money.

You'd think in today's economy. they would be happy to have jobs...

I was talking to one of the service advisers at the good dealer and he was telling me that he used to work at the "bad" dealer that I went to first. He said that is the way they have always done business, their warranty adviser intentionally shoots down repairs in hopes that you will pay for them out of your own pocket, that way they can charge twice as much. As you we all know, warranty work pays set prices for parts and set allowable time for the repairs, this place likes to gouge on the parts and charge double the time apparently.
I agree though, with the economy the way it is and GM yanking floor plans I'm surprised there are still these kind of dealers out there. I gave them a bad review on dealerrater and it looks like I wasn't alone from reading the other poor reviews.

Pjazz
10-16-12, 05:15 PM
I didn't know you had that many miles. I also thought if you babied the car the ball joints and control arms would last a while longer.

EChas3
10-16-12, 07:49 PM
My favorite dealer always gives me cookies, a pen or something in addition to the carwash and asks, "Please let us know if you are less than completely satisified with our service." It's no surprise to me the survey's all ask contain that phrase. (Too bad I eschew surveys.)

They are very good. Sometimes I bring donuts!