: Return Grille to stock?

Jayfrigginjones
09-26-12, 07:16 PM
Hi guys, I'm just now realizing the previous owner of my V painted the front mesh(s) black. The upper one still looks fine but the lower is chipping pretty bad.

Any suggestions on getting the paint off?

Thanks in advance
Jay

gsandhu
09-26-12, 09:38 PM
Hi guys, I'm just now realizing the previous owner of my V painted the front mesh(s) black. The upper one still looks fine but the lower is chipping pretty bad.

Any suggestions on getting the paint off?

Thanks in advance
Jay

I'll send you my stocks lets trade .. I just bought it 2012 so mine are clean send me pics of yours

Jayfrigginjones
09-27-12, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I would suggest dipping your grille. Once I get the chipping paint off mine I will probably redo it; just better :)

Captain McFunk
09-27-12, 01:42 PM
dip will fill the chips. Just respray with a couple of coats and you'll be fine ;)

gsandhu
09-27-12, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I would suggest dipping your grille. Once I get the chipping paint off mine I will probably redo it; just better :)

When u say dip you mean plasti dip? What do u suggest I do?

Captain McFunk
09-27-12, 05:38 PM
yes, plasti-dip, just spray the grilles and it'll cover chips. no need to take it all off. take off your front bumper (10 minutes) then take off the grilles and spray them. You'll be good to go!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/29-1.jpg

Jayfrigginjones
09-27-12, 06:47 PM
yes, plasti-dip, just spray the grilles and it'll cover chips. no need to take it all off. take off your front bumper (10 minutes) then take off the grilles and spray them. You'll be good to go!

That looks way better than my painted pieces. Sold me. I'll give it a shot this weekend...unless you can only get the stuff online? Who might stock plasti-dip?

Jay

NathanScott
09-27-12, 07:08 PM
Lowes and Home Depot

gsandhu
09-28-12, 01:15 AM
When u say dip you mean plasti dip? What do u suggest I do?

????

gsandhu
09-28-12, 01:17 AM
Lowes and Home Depot

Did u take off the grille? How many costs? Did you spray the trim above it too? Above the grill?

Purple87SS
09-28-12, 08:42 AM
Here you go...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-appearance-mods/267266-grille-dippd.html

No need to remove the front clip, just cover overspray areas and you will be fine. What pieces you spray are up to you. I left the chrome surround untouched. Either way the dip peels very easily if laid down if 5 or 6+ coats.

M5eater
10-02-12, 12:48 PM
Here you go...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-appearance-mods/267266-grille-dippd.html

No need to remove the front clip, just cover overspray areas and you will be fine. What pieces you spray are up to you. I left the chrome surround untouched. Either way the dip peels very easily if laid down if 5 or 6+ coats.

Make sure you cover the entire front fascia.

The aerosal cans of PD use a crude tip and even with 6-8" of cover spraying 7-8"" away I overshot as much as 2-3' from the surface.

Purple87SS
10-03-12, 08:48 AM
I concur M5eater.

luderchris
10-05-12, 12:10 AM
Make sure you cover the entire front fascia.
I overshot as much as 2-3' from the surface.

2-3' or 2-3" ???

LV_V
10-09-12, 11:08 PM
You will be buffing the overspray off your paint if you don't cover a MINIMUM of 3 feet from the area you are spraying. The shit floats in the air...

Jayfrigginjones
10-29-12, 05:06 PM
Just dip'd my previously painted (and chipping) grills. Made some errors but just yanked it off and did it again! This is an amazing product so far, the real test will be next wash...

larry arizona
10-29-12, 08:15 PM
I would throw a couple old sheets over the entire car beyond what you tape off. Overspray is always a bitch.

M5eater
10-29-12, 08:54 PM
I really hope you had something behind the grille.

Plastidip over spray is legendary.

That's why. I always recomend removing the front fascia and the separate grills. Honestly I bet it doesn't even add any time if you take into account it's taking you 30 minuites to mask off and cover the fascia keeping it on.

Jayfrigginjones
10-30-12, 10:56 AM
Project came out great. The grill was already black so I only needed a few coats. I have zero overspray on the car.

I will probably spray the middle section of the front splitter as well to cover some rock chips.

I do have one tip for smoother spray: warm the spray can. After my fist coat, I set the can on the S/C lid which was still hot from driving. The warmed fluid laid on like butter and congealed to a fantastic finish. Disclaimer! Don't warm it too much or you'll have a plastibomb.

CVP33
10-30-12, 06:42 PM
Disclaimer! Don't warm it too much or you'll have a plastibomb.

You owe me a new microwave.

McGuffy
10-30-12, 07:40 PM
Plasti-Dip can be repaired without a full strip down as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0jEvxxTzE