: Just had to vent...

creeker
09-26-12, 06:18 PM
I went downtown for a few things, there was a guy tailgating me for about a mile in a 40 mph zone, I pulled over to the side of the road and let him go by me, I then pulled back onto the road and he was tailgating the next car in front of him, he then changed lanes , he was halfway into the lane when he did the obligatory half blink of his turning signal. Is it just me or does this kinda stuff frustrate you too?.

Submariner409
09-26-12, 06:25 PM
You need to come southeast and drive the Washington, DC Beltway -------- or any other metro beltway in the U of S. Your driving encounter was mild by comparison............ How about people backing up a 65 mph exit ramp ????

creeker
09-26-12, 06:39 PM
You need to come southeast and drive the Washington, DC Beltway -------- or any other metro beltway in the U of S. Your driving encounter was mild by comparison............ How about people backing up a 65 mph exit ramp ????

My wife and I used to go to the oregon coast a lot in the 80's and 90's, but driving through washington state was becoming too much for me, I live in a small town,
so I guess I'm not conditioned for driving under crowded conditions.

Submariner409
09-26-12, 06:47 PM
Personally, I absolutely detest heading west of here (rural) to go to DC (Navy Medical) or down I-95. ............ and this is all too stereotypical, but the little blonde in the red Corolla with a latté in one hand and a cell phone in the other, doing 75 in a 60, is the rule rather than the exception. Another is the guy who has the newspaper on a clipboard attached to the steering wheel (same 75 in a 60).

CadillacLuke24
09-26-12, 06:58 PM
Sometimes I wish I had a Silverado with a 572 and a drill pipe cattle guard mounted on the front. That way, if people made me mad, I could MOVE them out of the way, traffic laws be damned.

orconn
09-26-12, 06:59 PM
It's not about crowded conditions it is about courtesy and the rights of others. What one notices driving in the Greater Washington, DC area (and to only a slightly lesser extent the Mid-Atlantic coastal areas) is the total lack of regard for the needs of traffic in general and other drivers in particular. Tailgating is the rule in the Mid-Atlantic. I once drove my son 10 miles down Route 7 in Northern Virginia to pick up a new car for him. During this short trip to Tyson's Corner we witness ten multiple car collisions .... all of them caused by tailgating! The LEO's don't deem to be interested in enforcing existing "Tail gating" laws and would prefer to go after a lone speeder than tackle a scofflaw tailgater.

As far as signaling lane changes or even turns .... can't be bothered. "Hey, the emergency lane was put there just for me!" seems to be a birthright among the young and highly educated young of the middle class, two family income, newly "bourgeois" that are attracted to the Washington, DC area. I was never so happy as the day we got out of "NOVA."

creeker
09-26-12, 07:00 PM
Personally, I absolutely detest heading west of here (rural) to go to DC (Navy Medical) or down I-95. ............ and this is all too stereotypical, but the little blonde in the red Corolla with a latté in one hand and a cell phone in the other, doing 75 in a 60, is the rule rather than the exception. Another is the guy who has the newspaper on a clipboard attached to the steering wheel (same 75 in a 60).

That sounds scary, how does she manage to put on her makeup?, I guess she's doing the best she can, everyone waits till the last minute to do things, get out of bed 20 minutes earlier than usual and enjoy reading your newspaper with your coffee at the table.

The-Dullahan
09-26-12, 07:32 PM
Doesn't frustrate me. My car is always bigger. Especially the work truck. This can be surprisingly effective of a means to deal with these idiots.

The Cadillac is particularly fun. It has all of the fun options/standard model features wig-wags, siren, PA, CB radio. I could be just as much of an a**hole to someone else if I really wanted to. I do not tolerate idiots driving like that.

Of course, there is always this method. They say to always drive "defensively" they also say "the best defense is a good offense". Therefore, you should drive on the offensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgSd4O7gsY

cadillac kevin
09-26-12, 08:15 PM
Doesn't frustrate me. My car is always bigger. Especially the work truck. This can be surprisingly effective of a means to deal with these idiots.

The Cadillac is particularly fun. It has all of the fun options/standard model features wig-wags, siren, PA, CB radio. I could be just as much of an a**hole to someone else if I really wanted to. I do not tolerate idiots driving like that.

Of course, there is always this method. They say to always drive "defensively" they also say "the best defense is a good offense". Therefore, you should drive on the offensive.

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgSd4O7gsY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjgSd4O7gsY)

LMAO. Reminds me of one time when my dad and I were in his E350SD van. The right lane went away, and a nissan sentra from the late 80s thought it could muscle past the van (the bottom mount of the vans trailer mirrors were above the roofline of the car). The guy not only went past there the lane officially ended, he drove about 80 feet past then until he ran out of room (i.e. he could not longer drive 1 inch from the side of the van), and hit the brakes, went up on the sidewalk, and missed a lamp post by a foot. He then had to wait for everyone to go by for him to get back on the road. Later, when we got home, I looked at the van. There was a 2 foot black line in the paint from the guys car. Oops. LOL.

creeker
09-26-12, 08:56 PM
The reason I pulled over and let the tailgater go is to avoid what happened in that video, they not only put themselves at risk but other people too, I must
be maturing. (it's about time).

Ranger
09-26-12, 09:42 PM
I have the most fun with tailgaters by stepping down the CC 1 MPH. If he's still there after a mile or so, he gets another 1 MPH step down. It's fun to watch him chew on the steering wheel until he gets the message.

creeker
09-26-12, 10:02 PM
[QUOTE=Ranger;3098281]I have the most fun with tailgaters by stepping down the CC 1 MPH. If he's still there after a mile or so, he gets another 1 MPH step down. It's fun to watch him chew on the steering wheel until he gets the message.[/QUOTE

I'll remember this for the next time, what I dont understand is that it must be a need on their part to not be behind another car,their not going to gain anything
because theres another bunch of cars ahead of them after they pass me, I dont get it.

cadillac kevin
09-26-12, 10:35 PM
What I love is when a tailgater gets blocked in on the highway with a slower car in front and a slower car on the side pacing each other. They're in too much of a hurry to slow down and go around the slower cars because that would mean they're behind the slow people for a couple seconds.

truckinman
09-26-12, 10:43 PM
Oh god, if I could list HALF the pet Peves I'v acquired since I became a truck driver nearly 5 years ago, you'd crap a brick. It's unworldly to me that some of these drivers even have a license.

Recently, I had a kid in a ford excursion, the big 3/4 ton SUV, pull right out in front of me while I was driving 60, in the semi with 43k lbs in my trailer, and I actually locked up the trailer brakes with all that weight over those axles. I was FURIOUS! What pissed me off was he actually sat at his stop sign and waited for me to get closer then pulled out. A part of me wishes I had hit him just hard enough that he woulda had to explain what he did to the police.

As a trucker, we are actually trained so that when people so that, so you don't put others at risk by jack knifing, we are trained to hit the car that pulls out and to nit slam on your brakes bc that's how you jack knife, which in turn could kill an innocent driver going the opposite way. But instinctively you wanna hit your brakes. What people like that kid just don't realize is, even tho they may be in the biggest CAR you can buy, my semi would still treat it like a red headed step child. That 8k lb SUV has nothing on my 80k lb truck.

creeker
09-26-12, 10:52 PM
,, Thats the same as when a responsible driver leaves a safe amount of distance between himself and the car in front,some jerk will pull inbetween them, I've had it happen to me lots of times, a friend of mines dad used to drive a cement truck, he said never pull sharply in front of a cement truck,especially in the rain.

truckinman
09-26-12, 11:12 PM
,, Thats the same as when a responsible driver leaves a safe amount of distance between himself and the car in front,some jerk will pull inbetween them, I've had it happen to me lots of times, a friend of mines dad used to drive a cement truck, he said never pull sharply in front of a cement truck,especially in the rain.

Oh yea, they will. There is no winning for a responsible driver out here. I've actually had people pull in front of me on the interstate when I've been minding my own business, cruise is set at 67 (my semi is governed at 67) and for NO reason at all, slam on their brake after pulling back into my lane. And they will do it over and over and over like I'm an ******* simply bc I'm a trucker. I've had to call the cops a few times for that crap. And then, the second I'm able to move into the other lane, they take off like a chicken s%#t bc they know I can't catch up. Talk about a world class coward. If you're going to have the balls to do that to a trucker, you'd better have the ball to take what's coming to ya too.

One time after a guy did that, his plan to get away backfired on his ass! And I got next to him and "helped" him onto the shoulder of the interstate.

The-Dullahan
09-26-12, 11:42 PM

When you drive a truck (Or even a large 8klb vehicle with no ABS, hint, hint) it is almost like people TRY to jump in front of you.

Also, as with trains, the dimensions of the vehicle (lengthwise) make many people misjudge how quickly the vehicle is moving. Haven't you ever seen that one idiot who jumps in front of a commercial truck and quickly realizes he has to change lanes or he's dead? Dealt with one today in the rain on the ever-crowded Highway 50...in a construction zone...who peeked his nose out to make a U-Turn, realized he was not clear, then just kind of stopped, half in the left lane. Wtf.

Had an issue in the past where some idiot did something similar, darting past the closest (left) lane and into the middle lane, then froze when he realized I was there, completely sideways, blocking traffic with no chance to move out of my way. In retrospect, I should have hi him, instead of darting through a tiny gap to my right and over the curb (As I would have hit the car to my right if I did not keep moving over) and if I could go back again, I'd hit my brakes, grab the wheel firmly and hope for the best. I'd still hit him, but hopefully not bad enough to knock him into other cars.

Another time crossing through the downtown area of Orlando in my truck (Incident above was my Cadillac. The guy is lucky, as my truck would have had no choice to plow through him and I would NOT have jumped the curb and sidewalk in any of the three coupes) when some idiot apparently new to something called a "standard transmission" and "Standard Brakes" bogged out in a little POS Corvair, tried to rectify it by speeding off (Or maybe was just speeding in the rain like an asshat, just because), took off like a bat out of hell and realized he had to slam his brakes, because there was a line of seven cars right in front of him, as they were waiting at a red light. The brakes seized, the car slid across three lanes, ended up backwards and came to rest. My truck was only doing about 25, at the time, as I was approaching the red light myself (My lane was empty all the way top the light) and I managed to brake just quick enough to avoid pinballing the idiot into the intersection. Shame, because from the ones I am familiar with (Particularly one specific good friend of mine), Corvair drivers are normally civilized enthusiasts, typically elderly people and don't like putting their antiques under the bumpers of Mack trucks, because they forgot how rain works.

Had to wait for the a**hole to restart his car and make something like a 5-point turn in traffic and get out of my lane. What did they do? Sped right off once again.

Had a similar incident last weekend, when some idiot "powerslid" had van around a corner in the rain, to make the light (Which flashed to red right as he approached the line). Avoided hitting traffic on the other side of the intersection, minding their own business in the turning lane, simply because the lightpole in the middle happened to catch him first. Got this asshat on video, too.

I look forward to a Post-Apocalyptic world with Mad-Max cars running around where in the unlikely event I see something else on the road, no one but the other driver is going to care that I don't slam my brakes when they cut me off.

77CDV
09-26-12, 11:55 PM
I went downtown for a few things, there was a guy tailgating me for about a mile in a 40 mph zone, I pulled over to the side of the road and let him go by me, I then pulled back onto the road and he was tailgating the next car in front of him, he then changed lanes , he was halfway into the lane when he did the obligatory half blink of his turning signal. Is it just me or does this kinda stuff frustrate you too?.

Wait, when did you move to LA? :rofl:

oldcaddybuyer
09-27-12, 01:53 AM
Non-drivers frustrate me just as much.

10+MPH below the speed limit in the left lane
Coming to a complete stop at a yield sign (nothing coming)
Stopping in an acceleration lane (failure to understand the concept of merging)
Refuse to turn right on red (when legal)
Won't enter the intersection to turn left (waits through another light cycle)
Cutting across 2 lanes in a last ditch move to exit or turn
Not paying attention to the light so sit through half the cycle (only a few make it before it turns)
Passing on the right then reduce speed below the person you just passed
Brake happy: applying the brakes every 10 secs when nothing is ahead and not speeding

Give me a bat outta hell anyday over a non-driver.

The-Dullahan
09-27-12, 02:32 AM
Today, I got stuck behind some idiots coming back from whatever bullcrap I got into. One was doing around 35, the other was going between 45 and 30, but never giving me enough room to pass. Small road, no median, two lanes either way. PA system.
From the left lane, I said to the car on the right (the 30 mph one), obvious debadged ricer trying to look like some sort of Porsche. No idea what it even was, but it's LED A-pillar gauges weren't making it any faster.

Said, rather clearly "Get that piece of crap off the road." fed up with waiting behind these two cars, catching every single light at least once and watching every other car ahead of us disappear out of view, while the line behind me piled up.

He responded by immediately braking. This gave myself and two-or-three other cars the opportunity to maneuver around him. eventually, we got to three lanes and he caught up and kept trying to race me until we both turned off on the same road several miles away (but then we went in opposite directions)

I kind of wish he went the same way, so we could have run down the trafficless, lightless strip of Highway 27. I felt kind of bad I continually beat him and he never caught back up...even though I wasn't even in the Pontiac today, but embarrassingly, I chose the Cadillac (Or rather, the type of business I was pursuing at the moment dictated I drice it). Fugly blue headlamps and random gauges a sportscar does not make.

One must take the good with the bad and remember to make it fun.

truckinman
09-27-12, 02:57 AM
Today, I got stuck behind some idiots coming back from whatever bullcrap I got into. One was doing around 35, the other was going between 45 and 30, but never giving me enough room to pass. Small road, no median, two lanes either way. PA system.
From the left lane, I said to the car on the right (the 30 mph one), obvious debadged ricer trying to look like some sort of Porsche. No idea what it even was, but it's LED A-pillar gauges weren't making it any faster.

Said, rather clearly "Get that piece of crap off the road." fed up with waiting behind these two cars, catching every single light at least once and watching every other car ahead of us disappear out of view, while the line behind me piled up.

He responded by immediately braking. This gave myself and two-or-three other cars the opportunity to maneuver around him. eventually, we got to three lanes and he caught up and kept trying to race me until we both turned off on the same road several miles away (but then we went in opposite directions)

I kind of wish he went the same way, so we could have run down the trafficless, lightless strip of Highway 27. I felt kind of bad I continually beat him and he never caught back up...even though I wasn't even in the Pontiac today, but embarrassingly, I chose the Cadillac (Or rather, the type of business I was pursuing at the moment dictated I drice it). Fugly blue headlamps and random gauges a sportscar does not make.

One must take the good with the bad and remember to make it fun.

A friend of mine, once, was coming home from work at 2 AM after a 14 hr shift. Naturally he was a bit tired. There were two lanes for his direction of travel. He pulled up to a red light behind two ricers, one in each lane. He's like me. Country boy who hates ricers. Well light turned green, they only sped up to 25 in a 50 zone, rolling along revving their 4 bangin engines with fart can mufflers. My buddy got tired of it. He had a very well lifted jeep. Bumper came up to their lowered ricers tail lights. He thru it in 4WD, and literally pushed the one in his lane straight into the ditch, and went on his way. When I heard about this, I couldn't breath I was laughing so hard! Lol

talismandave
09-27-12, 03:00 AM
My favorite is the one who comes around you, cuts in front of you, and 500 ft later comes to a complete stop to make a right turn off the road.

talismandave
09-27-12, 03:06 AM
Stopping in an acceleration lane (failure to understand the concept of merging)

:yeah:

truckinman
09-27-12, 03:58 AM
My favorite is the one who comes around you, cuts in front of you, and 500 ft later comes to a complete stop to make a right turn off the road.

Oh GOD this pisses me off! Lol. And people who can't maintain a constant speed. Keep slowing Down n speeding up. Like I said, I've got a LOT of pet Peves since I became a trucker!

The-Dullahan
09-27-12, 06:21 AM
Ricers are always fun. Just last week en route to a weekly car show in Kissimmee, a friend and I were having fun with our two entries (My Pontiac, her '67 Olds) and she happened to be revving her engine at me jokingly at all the lights and we went back and forth messing with one another like this. The people in traffic seemed to like it and were taking photos/asking questions. Eventually, at a red light at the top of a very steep hill. A bright orange/black two-tone Mazda with slanted wheels pulled up beside us, cutting someone off and speding up to the red light as if it were that important he be in front. I managed to ger behind him and when no one came into the left lane, I pulled up next to him again. Then we both started doing it all over again. Neither of us sped off, but the Mazda seemed so shamed as if he were called out, he barely budged at all when the light changed and hung back at about 20 mph (down a steep hill, mind you) and traffic kind of followed our lead and cruised past at comfortable speeds. I was legitimately hoping he would try to race us (Especially when the highway patrol merged into traffic at the next light, right as we would have been passing it)

dkozloski
09-27-12, 01:29 PM
I took the CHP defensive driving course and their comment on backing up to a missed exit was that they have no idea what the success rate is because nobody has made it yet without wrecking.

CadillacLuke24
09-27-12, 08:53 PM
Anybody who does that should have their license revoked, along with anyone putting makeup on, texting, eating, or other distracted driving. That is blatant disregard for your fellow man, and should not be taken lightly. If my baby is harmed or total due to a negligent driver, I will go freaking postal. I won't be able to help myself. The ER nurses and docs will wonder how that dumb broad got her cell phone so far up her a$$.

cadillac kevin
09-27-12, 10:00 PM
I got a good one for you guys
Today I was driving down the road and changed lanes in front of a newer pontiac grand prix. Apparently he didn't like that, so he tried to shoot around me so he could turn before me, almost taking off my left side, before getting in behind me (because he almost rearended a truck). He then follows me and pulls up along side me, rolled down his window, and starts cursing me out (for being a bad driver or something), while on the phone and looking directly at me, going down the road doing almost 50 mph. Mind you, this wasn't a young guy. He was in his mid 40s.

Aron9000
09-28-12, 12:38 AM
The short ramp onto I40 that I get on every night to come home from work is a source of endless frustration. Dumbasses have no idea how to merge, I can't tell you the number of times I've tailgated somebody down that whole length of the ramp driving 35mph honking at them to speed up. Thank goodness its late and you can usually get over pretty easy.

Except this one dumb bitch one night, you could clearly see a line of three semi trucks coming up that weren't going to change lanes to let you over(I know they can't change lanes or they'll miss their next exit). They weren't going that fast, 50mph, and if you put your foot in it at the top of the ramp you have enough room to be doing 70mph in most cars without even breathing hard. This stupid woman in the SUV almost got all of us killed trying to merge at 30mph in front of the semi trucks. She started to come over then the truck just honked, slammed on his brakes, she panicked ran on the hard shoulder locking up her brakes. I was 2 cars back in a line of 6-7 that had to come to a dead stop on the bottom 1/3rd of the ramp. All three of the trucks whizzed by and luckily the two cars in front of me had the good sense to stop and let them by.

talismandave
09-28-12, 01:35 AM
Being a big college town we get a lot of students with international drivers licence.(No road test here.) Adds a whole other dimension to the mix.

Who in their right mind thinks the way to merge with 60 MPH traffic is to come to a stop at the end of the ramp?:bighead:

truckinman
09-28-12, 03:56 AM
Being a big college town we get a lot of students with international drivers licence.(No road test here.) Adds a whole other dimension to the mix.

Who in their right mind thinks the way to merge with 60 MPH traffic is to come to a stop at the end of the ramp?:bighead:

Heh. Another one a love. Yes. Stopping on the get on ramp when it's half a mile long just to give you enough room to speed up and safely merge.

I also love when it's only 2 lanes, I gotta 4-wheeler merging. If I can I'll move over. But what really chaps my ass is when, after I let em in, they just sit on my right side, not speeding up to go by or slowing so I can move back outa the hammer lane. My truck, as well as most company semis, are governed between 65-67 mph. So I can't speed up to pass. So I'll put on my blinker till they get the idea.

I hate how so many 4-wheelers expect me to move over a lane just so they, with their much much more agile car, can move over. I've gotta 70 ft long, 80k lb truck. I can't just move over at the drop of a hat some times. Lol.

CadillacLuke24
09-28-12, 04:11 AM
Thanks to truckinman I have a whole new respect for truck drivers. I was figuring it out before, but some of your stories man...I feel for ya.

:lol: Yeah I've heard stories Dave. My old roommate from last year was Burmese, and he was always telling me how the roads over there were so bad, and cars couldn't have cruise control, and blah blah blah. I should've spoke my mind and stated that we have people who text and drive. And then there's people like this cute Australian lass who is the RA on 3rd floor. Her quote on cars is that "they have four wheels and get me from A to B." And she has an international license. At least she has the sense to know she needs to get an American license. :D

I think I have merging figured out. :D Once I hit the on ramp, and there's noone in front of me, I let Alexandra flex her muscle. I have NO problem hittin' 80 by the time I get to the end of the onramp. :D

oldcaddybuyer
09-28-12, 04:26 AM
I got a good one for you guys
Today I was driving down the road and changed lanes in front of a newer pontiac grand prix. Apparently he didn't like that, so he tried to shoot around me so he could turn before me, almost taking off my left side, before getting in behind me (because he almost rearended a truck). He then follows me and pulls up along side me, rolled down his window, and starts cursing me out (for being a bad driver or something), while on the phone and looking directly at me, going down the road doing almost 50 mph. Mind you, this wasn't a young guy. He was in his mid 40s.

These kinda people just make my day. When I get the pleasure of sharing the road with an asshat, like you described, I smile big and wave to them like the Beverly Hillbillys on the front porch. It puts them into a whole new dimension of pissed off. Quite entertaining.

oldcaddybuyer
09-28-12, 04:42 AM
Heh. Another one a love. Yes. Stopping on the get on ramp when it's half a mile long just to give you enough room to speed up and safely merge.

I also love when it's only 2 lanes, I gotta 4-wheeler merging. If I can I'll move over. But what really chaps my ass is when, after I let em in, they just sit on my right side, not speeding up to go by or slowing so I can move back outa the hammer lane. My truck, as well as most company semis, are governed between 65-67 mph. So I can't speed up to pass. So I'll put on my blinker till they get the idea.

I hate how so many 4-wheelers expect me to move over a lane just so they, with their much much more agile car, can move over. I've gotta 70 ft long, 80k lb truck. I can't just move over at the drop of a hat some times. Lol

I didn't realize that trucks were governed. What you described is another prime example of a non-driver (what I call a freakin assclown). They have no spatial awareness as to their surroundings.

donwon
09-28-12, 09:23 AM
I didn't know big rigs were governed either.
We were in the lower part of Sc. going to Fla. one night on I 95.
I was running about 90 with no other traffic on the road, when I saw headlightd far behind me.
They cought up with me pretty fast and I could see the clearence lights.
When he passed me the wind from the front of the truck almost blew me off the side of the road, and when the cab had passed the suction almost sucked me under the trailer.
I know he was going over 100 mph. He had to be the way he cought me and left me in his dust.
I am not usually the one getting passed on the Interstate but I don't drive 90 that much anymore either.
I usually drive in the 2 point range. 5 miles over is usually a warning, and 9 miles over is 2 points. Anything faster is at the discression of the officer. Can be as much as wreckless driving.

truckinman
09-28-12, 09:40 AM
I didn't know big rigs were governed either.
We were in the lower part of Sc. going to Fla. one night on I 95.
I was running about 90 with no other traffic on the road, when I saw headlightd far behind me.
They cought up with me pretty fast and I could see the clearence lights.
When he passed me the wind from the front of the truck almost blew me off the side of the road, and when the cab had passed the suction almost sucked me under the trailer.
I know he was going over 100 mph. He had to be the way he cought me and left me in his dust.
I am not usually the one getting passed on the Interstate but I don't drive 90 that much anymore either.
I usually drive in the 2 point range. 5 miles over is usually a warning, and 9 miles over is 2 points. Anything faster is at the discression of the officer. Can be as much as wreckless driving.

Lol. Yea he was probably an independent contractor and/or drove for some little 5 truck operation. I've talked to drivers who do nothing but mod their trucks for speed. One driver I talked to was able to hit 160 mph! He said out west where it's flat and straight, he did it quite often. But he had 10s of thousands of dollars in his Cat engine. Fastest I've ever gone in a truck is 85. It was my first driving job and that's what my truck there was governed at.

But yea, it's not exactly common knowledge that most company trucks are governed so low.

CadillacLuke24
09-28-12, 03:40 PM
That's crazy! I guess it makes sense, considering stuff likely lasts longer. You'd think they'd set them for a faster speed to get the trips done sooner, but whatever works.

truckinman
09-28-12, 03:56 PM
That's crazy! I guess it makes sense, considering stuff likely lasts longer. You'd think they'd set them for a faster speed to get the trips done sooner, but whatever works.

It's more about the MPGs. The slower the trucks going, the better the mpg. And when you've got 50 trucks or 2000 trucks, it makes a big difference

Submariner409
09-28-12, 05:05 PM
It's more about the MPGs. The slower the trucks going, the better the mpg. And when you've got 50 trucks or 2000 trucks, it makes a big difference

t-man, back in the 60's the BIG lumber semi's in Dad's lumber/millwork company had a sort of clock thingy in the cab - at the start of a trip the driver inserted a paper recording disc about the size of a 45 rpm record. A pen and ink stylus kept track of time and speed during the run.

Ever heard of that ??

Ranger
09-28-12, 05:23 PM
160 MPH in a 18 wheeler sounds down right suicidal to me.

Submariner409
09-28-12, 05:45 PM
Harry Chapin: 30,000 Pounds of Bananas".

truckinman
09-28-12, 06:04 PM
t-man, back in the 60's the BIG lumber semi's in Dad's lumber/millwork company had a sort of clock thingy in the cab - at the start of a trip the driver inserted a paper recording disc about the size of a 45 rpm record. A pen and ink stylus kept track of time and speed during the run.

Ever heard of that ??

I've never heard of this. But it sounds almost like a type of logging system. But truckers didn't even have to start keeping logs until around 1992. But that's just legally. Maybe some companies put their drivers on a logging system as far back as the 60s.

I wish I could say ive been driving since then. That's when trucking was trucking. Before the DOT stuck their big fat noses into every inch of our business.

drewsdeville
09-28-12, 06:07 PM
I didn't realize that trucks were governed.

When I was still driving, mine was governed as well - at an irritating 62mph, below the speed limit on most interstate...

Aron9000
09-28-12, 06:23 PM
The Penske international box van I rented when I moved was governed at 65ish mph IIRC. It was a VERY windy day so that was probably a good thing, it was a bear to keep in its lane.

truckinman
09-28-12, 06:34 PM
When I was still driving, mine was governed as well - at an irritating 62mph, below the speed limit on most interstate...

Did you drive for USA by chance? I know they are governed to 62

truckinman
09-28-12, 06:36 PM
The Penske international box van I rented when I moved was governed at 65ish mph IIRC. It was a VERY windy day so that was probably a good thing, it was a bear to keep in its lane.

Lol. I drove thru a tropical storm on the gulf coast of southern TX once. That was fun. Blowing at a constant of 70-80 mph. It had me nearly into the guardrail several times. Talk about white knuckle driving.

orconn
09-28-12, 06:47 PM
When the winds were roaring out of the mountain canyons in Los Angeles, it was not at all uncommon for semis to be flipped on their sides from the wind gusts. This was especially common on the Foothill Freeway.

truckinman
09-28-12, 07:17 PM
When the winds were roaring out of the mountain canyons in Los Angeles, it was not at all uncommon for semis to be flipped on their sides from the wind gusts. This was especially common on the Foothill Freeway.

Yea I was lucky that day. I was hearing on the cb about all the trucks near me that were blown over. But I had a deadline in Mexico I had to make. I hate being late. Lol

drewsdeville
09-28-12, 09:12 PM
Did you drive for USA by chance? I know they are governed to 62

Conway.

Not that it had enough power for it to matter anyway (not to mentioned the lowly 7 speed trans). I usually pulled a set of pups - typical loads were 100% cubed out - top to bottom, front to back, crammed as tight as could be, compressed with the forklift just to be sure before closing the door. Half the time they were overweight. Moderate hills needed a running start with foot through the floor - hills with any decent size were a struggle.

Ranger
09-28-12, 09:39 PM
I guess this would explain why you sometimes see a slow motion truck drag race. One trying to overtake the other with very little progress while blocking both lanes. Makes a little more sense now.

truckinman
09-28-12, 09:42 PM
Conway.

Not that it had enough power for it to matter anyway (not to mentioned the lowly 7 speed trans). I usually pulled a set of pups - typical loads were 100% cubed out - top to bottom, front to back, crammed as tight as could be, compressed with the forklift just to be sure before closing the door. Half the time they were overweight. Moderate hills needed a running start with foot through the floor - hills with any decent size were a struggle.

Yea I pass con ways all the time. Lol. A guy I know thru FB just got fired from there after 13 years with them. Simply for not giving a reason as to why he took 15 min to long to hook up a set of doubles.

oldcaddybuyer
09-28-12, 11:07 PM
I guess this would explain why you sometimes see a slow motion truck drag race. One trying to overtake the other with very little progress while blocking both lanes. Makes a little more sense now.

Yep! That's exactly what I thought when I read his post. Nothing like cruising along in the left lane and come up on two trucks and the one in the rear slides in front of you dropping your speed 20 mph. I've always wondered when one tried to overtake the other why it took some a 5 mile stretch to do it. I'll still cuss and raise hell but knowing why is all the better.

I'm not hating on the truckers, though. There would be nothing on the shelves without them.

creeker
09-29-12, 12:38 AM
Yea I pass con ways all the time. Lol. A guy I know thru FB just got fired from there after 13 years with them. Simply for not giving a reason as to why he took 15 min to long to hook up a set of doubles.

Gone are the honorable days of the "kings of the road", it's a very competative job now a days,where the drivers are pushed to the limit to make better
time and deliver the goods on time, another life style losing it's glamor of years gone by.

drewsdeville
09-29-12, 12:47 AM

They definitely run it...well, like a business. Can't say everything about it was enjoyable, but they are very well managed and the operation is efficient. Employees are pushed, but they develop into some of the best in the LTL business. I left the industry a few years ago, but talking with others time to time, I hear that Conway looks incredible on a driver's resume, mostly due to stellar dock/forklift skills that sets them apart from other drivers.

truckinman
09-29-12, 05:06 PM
Yea I've heard that about Conway. I'm not a fan of those big companies tho anyway. The biggest I've ever driven for was Continental Express. A refrigerated trucking company. But they had about 380 drivers.

Where I am now, it's only 100 drivers.

brandondeleo
09-29-12, 05:15 PM
I can attest to that... Especially bad on the 10 through Fontana. That area gets hit HARD.

77CDV
09-30-12, 12:04 AM
I can attest to that... Especially bad on the 10 through Fontana. That area gets hit HARD.

Or the 15 below and through the El Cajon Pass.

brandondeleo
09-30-12, 07:26 PM
Or the 15 below and through the El Cajon Pass.
Majorly. That's a nasty stretch.