: 2006 xlr exhaust - please help!

bstephenson
09-26-12, 10:39 AM
Just bought my first XLR! Have been reading online quite a bit about exhaust options. Having just bit the bullet, i am a bit hesitant to spend a couple thousand on a complete installed system. Are there other short term options out there that others have tried? Can you just change the mufflers? Can you cut out the resonator? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

GizmoQ
09-27-12, 12:42 AM
Just bought my first XLR! Have been reading online quite a bit about exhaust options. Having just bit the bullet, i am a bit hesitant to spend a couple thousand on a complete installed system. Are there other short term options out there that others have tried? Can you just change the mufflers? Can you cut out the resonator? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you can gut the cats and get an axle-back exhaust. Gutting the cats is cheap and easy. The axle-back systems I've seen (that I like), unfortunately, are almost as expensive as full cat-back systems. If you touch the cats, you'll need a tune to disable the sensors.

You could always find a muffler shop you trust and have them mod up something for you. I have a shop local to me that hand-built the complete cat-back Corsa system for my Eldorado and it sounds great, but so far I only let him gut the cats on Elwood.

Personally, if I were you and you want to get a little more sport from your sports car, then get the D3 Intakes and a tune and don't worry about the exhaust. If you just want it louder, then almost any muffler shop will cut off the mufflers and sell you something louder.

Jewel
12-10-12, 02:07 PM
Hello......I am new to this forum and just finding my way around. My 2006 XLR is a fabulous car in everyway, but the exhaust was so quiet, it just didn't go with the car. Sooooo in July I put on a new Magna Flow exhaust/Dual Exit system and oh boy, it was worth every single penny I spent. The sound is a very classy, deep & throaty sound, absolutely perfect perfect for this car. The cost was $1712.00 plus $75.00 for labor. It sounds so good I have totally forgotten about what it cost me.

----------

Also forgot to mention..........by putting on the new MagnaFlow Exhaust system it really boost up the performance of the car, a notable difference right away.

Submariner409
12-11-12, 09:08 AM
Also forgot to mention..........by putting on the new MagnaFlow Exhaust system it really boost up the performance of the car, a notable difference right away.

Proven with before and after timeslips and dyno runs, or just by seat-of-the-pants and noise ?