: 15 Year Old Texas Girl Drives This to School!

Ralph
09-26-12, 04:03 AM
http://m.jalopnik.com/5944568/is-a-15+year-old-texan-girl-driving-this-ultra-rare-lamborghini-to-high-school

brandondeleo
09-26-12, 04:17 AM
*facepalm*

Jesda
09-26-12, 04:42 AM
My favorite part of the article:

In an amazing twist, it appears the Redditor is actually not full of crap.

Typically, redditors are emasculated beta males who go around making up BS stories about politically correct good deeds in order to earn upvotes. It is a community of morons.

CadillacLuke24
09-26-12, 10:33 AM
Just like my high school, but on a WAAAAAY more extreme scale. If any teenager thinks they absolutely need a vehicle, make them buy it. And if they still protest, stating they "need" a car, do what I heard one dad do. Go buy your kid a pair of nice shoes, give them to the kid, and state, "You'l get a lot of miles out of these."

:D

truckinman
09-26-12, 10:40 AM
It's funny. When my folks bought their new Lexus when I was a senior in HS, they let me drive it a couple times to school and I had people eye balling THAT car bc it was to nice for a student to drive. Talk about a hick school. Lol. This kid drove a 350k lambo to school. Lol.

Submariner409
09-26-12, 11:08 AM
In the parking lots of quite a few Montgomery, Frederick, and Arlington county (DC suburbs) high schools, a Lexus or Cadillac V-car is pure junk. The low-end juvenile driver starts with a Porsche Carerra.

CadillacLuke24
09-26-12, 12:07 PM
:helpless: Kids these days. NO work ethic. :nono:

cadillac kevin
09-26-12, 12:53 PM
I didn't even have a car in high school. I had to get a ride in dads station wagon or econoline work van (horrors!!!).
I didn't have enough cash to buy a car until the end of freshman year in college (and then I only had a 2k budget...bought my caddy for 1500 and spent the rest on repairs and had enough left to top off the tank. It got me to school and back reliably, and thats what I needed at the time.

Submariner409
09-26-12, 01:17 PM
Depends on the family situation, parents, discipline, and "drive" of the new "driver". My first car, a well-used 1953 Morris Minor drophead coupe, was bought for me by my great grandmother (half her money, half my paper route money) for $125. Remember - in 1955 a dollar was "worth" 10 - 15 times what it is now. All well and good - and Dad said "I'll add you to the family policy but you pay your premium and YOU put gas in it." So I went to work part time after high school as a grease monkey on an outdoor rack at the local AMOCO station. (Changing the SAE 30 oil in a Hudson Hornet outdoors in January is interesting................) AMOCO "white gas" was 31 - 35 a gallon then, but when adjusted for inflation that's pretty close to what we're paying today.

Today, the brats whimper if the "Check Oil Level" light comes on -:histeric:

CadillacLuke24
09-26-12, 03:31 PM
When I got into high school, my parents told me : Dad bought his '71 Chevelle SS350, Mom bought her own '69 Torino, so Luke is buying his own car. Got a job at Kmart (paid really well), worked for two years, and then I had quite a bit of money saved up. I was going to get my Dad's 99 DeVille Concours, but then I came across this 1996 DeVille, and the rest, they say, is history!

orconn
09-26-12, 03:39 PM
My son had the use of the "hand me down" '85 Thunderbird Turbo for his last year of high school (car was 11 years old with 60,000 mlies on it). Although he was not too fond of the T-bird it was better than riding the school bus for an hour each way. His little secret was that he rode a horse that cost as much as a Porsche Carrera and a lot more in monthly upkeep! He never bitched about his DD!

Kev
09-26-12, 04:18 PM
At Santa Barbara High School in the 70's there was quite a mix of rich and poor. No surprise walking through the student parking lot to see anything from total junkers to rare exotics. And not all the rich kids were given nice cars by 'Mommy and Daddy'.

Me? Oh, I was in the 'Junker' category with a '67 Bug that I bought from my Dad.

:coffee:

orconn
09-26-12, 05:00 PM
Back in my son's equestrian (Hunter/Jumper) days when I mingled with the "truly" rich of this country most of the young zions of "household name families" drove jeep Cherokees, or a minor Lexus or BMW. Some of the "nouveau riche" drove their expensive Rolls or Bentley (the owners of the Harlem Globe Trotters used to leave their Bentley Azure convertibles sitting all day with the top dawn collecting 'horse show dust") much to the disgust of the truly rich!

In many cases the kids, some of whose horses cost upwards of a quarter of a quarter million dollars, help clean out the stalls and groom the horses. They were not spoiled children, but hard working young kids learning what it takes perform .... and to oversee the performance of others. I don't remember ever hearing anything about what kind of car some drove .... that they got a new private jet was occasionally mentioned!

Interestingly, I remember being told by the mid twenties son of a telecoms billionaire that if you didn't have at least $500.000,000. you were really considered "rich" by the "really rich" (this was in the mid 1990's so I would imagine you would have to have a much higher worth today!)

I think that the "giving" of new, expensive cars to children has more to do with the insecurities of the parents than the needs or desires of the kids. The parents also haven't learned that confidence and happiness comes from accomplishment not "freebie" luxuries.

creeker
09-26-12, 05:42 PM
:helpless: Kids these days. NO work ethic. :nono:

I think this is the parents lack of ethics, giving a kid a powerful car like that is crazy.

CadillacLuke24
09-26-12, 06:00 PM
You do make an excellent point. That and the failure of parents to instill good work ethic into their children.

hueterm
09-26-12, 06:04 PM
Still have mine...20+ yrs later...

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/hueterm/70corner.jpg

orconn
09-26-12, 06:19 PM
Graduated 1962, was only home from boarding school on vacations and Summer used a family car. Never had a car of my own in high school or until my senior year of college. I did share my mother's Olds 98 Holiday with her for my senior year of high school. I don'tremeber anyone at Cambridge High School having anything that would be considered "cool" Just old hand me downs from their folks.

Here is a picture of my "HS senior year" car:

The-Dullahan
09-26-12, 06:26 PM
I imagine if someone drove that to my school, it would hardly be noticed. Maybe rather curious how it got there through the snow.

Sounds like a lot of fuss over something small that honestly shouldn't be making national publication.

Neat car though, but Lamborghinis have never really been my thing. Fun to drive, but only in rare circumstances.

I took the bus to school. In a few rare circumstances, I could walk from work (literally crossing only one street to do so) or would be dropped off in whatever my Adoptive Mum/Boss chose to drive us over in that day.

Likewise, I've gone with my family to school two separate times in chauffeured limousine, since my parents were borrowing it to go into the city with anyhow and were passing the school.

Other than that, I walked to the bus stop and took the bus the rest of the way. The only exception to this I am aware of was when my father first bought his Chevrolet (Which was before much of it;s pro track rebuild, which was ironically used to shame Lamborghinis at the track) and he picked us up at the bus stop with it.

I can however see why so much gossip would be wrought from a 15 year old girl supposedly driving this to school, but cannot see why gossip is topical to those outside of the area who remain unaffected by it's occurrence.

orconn
09-26-12, 06:43 PM
It is said that in Texas "you are what you drive."

The-Dullahan
09-26-12, 10:45 PM
It is said that in Texas "you are what you drive."

An undeservingly wealthy, superficially stylized Faux-Italian made with mostly synthetic parts?

Ew wait...what would this saying make me?

77CDV
09-26-12, 10:54 PM
^ :lol:

97EldETC
09-26-12, 11:15 PM
Well. Now I feel like crap driving an Escape! On VERY rare occasions, well the only occasions my mom lets my drive the IS350 to school is...first day of school, the two half - days (12:30 release) we have a year, and the last day of school. I like the Outlook SUV more because its big. I ❤ Big cars and my little Escape XLT!

Kev
09-26-12, 11:18 PM
It is said that in Texas "you are what you drive."An undeservingly wealthy, superficially stylized Faux-Italian made with mostly synthetic parts?

Ew wait...what would this saying make me?... as insecure as the person who first coined the term ....

mikedyk43
09-26-12, 11:33 PM
It's interesting to me how much separation there is between the middle and upper classes of society. We are in the same country, but live in totally different worlds.

orconn
09-26-12, 11:40 PM
Actually we live in the same world, just some's got better land and more expensive toys!

97EldETC
09-26-12, 11:44 PM
I don't really see much of a difference between middle class and upper. Do you mean middle class as in like 1 story 3bed 2 bath ma is a secretary and pa is a construction worker? or nice 2 story where ma is a stay at home and dad is a business man? Cuz there are many definitions if middle class. Upper, lower, middle....

The-Dullahan
09-27-12, 12:07 AM
... as insecure as the person who first coined the term ....

Or just as bad as the girl I just made fun of.

Nah, I only drive Lamborghinis on rare occasions. The other cars, notably the Cadillac, Lincoln and Pontiac hardly promote this vision. Actually, according to Drew, the Pontiac means I look something like this, just for owning it.

http://failfun.com/wp-content/uploads/SixtyBucksandaBBGun.jpg

Odd though, because at the car shows, most of my compatriots are...old guys. Like...OLD guys.

I think it is safe to say however that any of the Forum that has ever met me knows that the above image is in fact EXACTLY what I look like. 'Cept I have way more awesome tribal/Fake-Chinese-Lettering tattoos, yo. :lol:

ryannel2003
09-27-12, 12:52 AM
Damn and here I was thinking how much of a badass I was in HS because I had a clean Camry.

brandondeleo
09-27-12, 01:38 AM
I didn't even get my license until after I graduated high school... Ended up waiting until I turned 18 to get it.
I took the bus to school. :lol:

truckinman
09-27-12, 01:47 AM
My actual car in HS was a 1987 Buick LeSabre custom. It had been my grand parents since new. My grand father had passed away when I was 13 and my grandmother was in a retirement community and couldn't drive herself anymore, so she gave me the car bc she said she knew that's what my grandfather would have wanted to do.

I kept having torque converter issue with it tho so my folks would always let me drive one of the other 3 cars they had. A 94 Chrysler LHS, the 98 Lexus ES300 or the 93 ford thunderbird. Which was my favorite to drive outa the 3.

CadillacCastle
09-27-12, 01:53 AM
I've lived in Texas 54 years and have never heard "you are what you drive." Where do all of the rumors about Texans come from? That statement came from an insecure person a bragger, a boaster. It sounds like my step brother from up north. Don't group all Texans as being the same, this state is about 1000 miles cross it, so there are many nice friendly people here but we do have the rednecks. The people who boast and brad are usuall insecure drunks.

talismandave
09-27-12, 02:16 AM
What shocks me is the sheer number of cars in the student parking lot at my old school. When I was there 10 - 15 cars was about average, up to maybe 25 - 30 by the end of the year as seniors bought one. Now the lot is three times larger and not an empty spot.:helpless:

The-Dullahan
09-27-12, 05:26 AM
Finished school when I was 12. Don't recall any classmates having cars :lol: (School was tiny anyhow and sufficed with it's parking lot of unusual size never achieving more than a third full at any time anyhow)

Honestly...since I was only in High School for such a short time prior to skipping classes and other legal tomfoolery involved in graduating early (roughly thirty days spread throughout three months on-and-off total time spent in HS)...I can only recall two classrooms, the lockers outside one of them and the area outside the same classroom, where a door led out from class into a side field and have no clue what the parking lot even looked like. I doubt many of the students, regardless of age, had cars.

maeng9981
09-27-12, 05:58 AM
I've lived in Texas 54 years and have never heard "you are what you drive." Where do all of the rumors about Texans come from? That statement came from an insecure person a bragger, a boaster. It sounds like my step brother from up north. Don't group all Texans as being the same, this state is about 1000 miles cross it, so there are many nice friendly people here but we do have the rednecks. The people who boast and brad are usuall insecure drunks.

:yeah:

The-Dullahan
09-27-12, 05:30 PM
There are Rednecks or something comparable everywhere. It is unwise to establish an opinion on an entire population based on the few stupids living there.

hueterm
09-27-12, 05:45 PM
I didn't even get my license until after I graduated high school... Ended up waiting until I turned 18 to get it.
I took the bus to school. :lol:

So. Much. Is. Now. Clear.

talismandave
09-27-12, 11:50 PM
You guys are so bad...:histeric:

CadillacLuke24
09-28-12, 03:02 AM
:D We try

hueterm
09-28-12, 10:36 AM
I mean...when you get a gift...you accept it...