: Creative Steel differential carrier bushing

sapien
09-25-12, 10:56 PM
has anyone installed this on their STS and can provide some feedback on its performance and installation? seems to be a popular fix for the weak stock bushing with the CTS-V crowd.
https://creative-steel.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=94

https://creative-steel.com/store/images/products/large_94_Website_mounts.jpg
(aftermarket bushing on left -- stock on right)

Midnight
09-26-12, 10:18 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/243343-differential-bushing-replacement.html

Installed about a year ago. No problems so far.

sapien
10-10-12, 11:12 PM
I am going to buy this -- I'm pretty sure my stock bushing is starting to fall apart. if I put the rear of the car up on ramps will it be enough room to get under and perform the replacement, or do I need to take it to a shop with a lift?

EChas3
10-11-12, 07:42 PM
I read a post by another forum member and it sounded like a special took was required. Even then, it wasn't easy.

There may have been some complicating factors. I'd have a pro do it.

Anyone care to share first hand experience?

aliskerov
10-11-12, 08:47 PM
if you feel the slightest play in your driveshaft - do it; if your car jerks when going from reverse into park, or jerks when you accelerate and the tranny drops the gear down. I ordered mine when I first noticed these things and replaced it as soon as I got it. The job is a PIA by the way.

Even though I was timely with the replacement, I now have a slight differential whine when the gas pedal is slightly pushed, which is probably the center differential bearing going bad from the driveshaft movement, which was caused by the bad bushing. The sooner you replace that bushing, which is definitely going to go bad, as it does on most STSs and CTSs, the better chance that you wont suffer issues such as this. Good luck!

If you do decide to do it yourself, there is a how-to on the forums. All I can add is that you take off the exhaust up to the cats (or headers; whatever it's mounted to up front); this will ease the lack of space and give you more room. Also, make sure you align the tool just right when pressing the bushings out/in - the first time one side of the cylinder got stuck on the lip of the bushing cavity and I had to loosen the tool up and realign it to fit just right.

Neko98
10-11-12, 08:52 PM
Just had this done at the dealer, labor alone is close to $500, so a worth while savings if you feel up to it. Does seem like a pretty big under taken without the right setup.

orange57
10-12-12, 01:24 AM
I'm pretty sure my bushings are shot in my car. I think I'm going to order a set of these and get it done soon. They appear to be better quality from the pics. I definitely get a little clunk when going from drive to reverse, or vice versa. And a little jerk when the trans downshifts.

sapien
10-12-12, 06:41 PM
I've installed things like cams, timing chains, 4WD lift springs etc. before so I think I'd be up to a DIY. Creative Steel will rent you the special tool. The weather is starting to get cold to be tinkering outside in the driveway though...

One more thing I'm wondering is -- would it better to have the car on ramps (wheels under load) or on jack stands (wheels not under load) to do this job? thanks for all the info.

aliskerov
10-12-12, 08:01 PM
I had the front of the car standing on the ground and had 2 jackstands holding up the rear. You wouldn't want the wheels under load, as, when you unscrew the differential mounting bolts, you want the differential to drop on the frame underneath it for easier access.

Charles Warren
10-12-12, 09:55 PM
Are all 3 of the diff bushings the same?

aliskerov
10-14-12, 01:45 AM
If by that you mean the three different mounting points -no. Only the front mounting point has a bushing that needs this replacement. The other two are different and can't even be reached without taking the diff off of the car.

Four Fins
10-14-12, 11:03 PM
So there is only one of these bushings to replace? In other words I only need to order one since im getting a clunk when shifting into gears and downshifts?

Charles Warren
10-16-12, 07:00 AM
Back 2 look easier than the front, im pretty sure i can get them out without taking the diff out. Same thing alldata said about front left engine mount "remove exhaust manifold" i didnt and got mount back on the car in less than the time called for but the passenger side is so damn easy. Damn cadillacs lol.

And i've done my diff bushing, replaced with modded oem but when it breaks i will be going with the cs unit, didnt use special tool but i will next time i almost shot up my car thats how angry i got with that damn bushing.