: Oil empty. No warning light. 06' sts

LICCIARDI
09-25-12, 05:10 PM
I was driving 65mph. I felt a sputter a few time and check engine light came on. Then upon acceleration (light acceleration) engine making a weird noise. Went home. Checked fluids and oil was empty. I added 4.5 quarts and diagnostic codes says misfire 2,4 and 6. I reset check engine light and i have driven about 150 miles and light has not came back on yet. The oil was supposedly changed when i bought the cat 2,600 miles ago. No signs of leakage and havent smelled burnt oil. And most concerned with no warning light ttleeling me low on oil. My screen said 82% oil life. I love my car but should i force dealer to take this car back? Slight ticking in engine still and noise is still coming from engine at low acceleration. Any comments will be helpful.

Midnight
09-25-12, 06:02 PM
Assuming you have a V8...

I thought if the engine runs out of oil the check engine light should blink (don't quote me, but it's in the manual I'm sure). Also you can test the oil light easily, just turn the ignition on (without cranking the engine, hold the switch down on accessory until it turns on). The oil light should turn on (as there is no pressure since the engine isn't running). When you start the engine, it should go on for a second or so until pressure builds. That doesn't rule out an intermittent problem though. Don't start the engine if you suspect dangerously low oil, of course.

There's also a big gap between "no oil on dipstick" and needing 4.5 quarts. My V8 uses about a quart per 10,000 miles (which I consider about average for these, some use more), and a couple times it's been low enough where it's just below the end of the dipstick, but no problem, one quart and I'm back in business. I check it on nearly every fill-up, so like every 300ish miles.

The oil is used as hydraulic fluid for VVT, so maybe that's where your misfire codes came from. Not sure how these engines self destruct if oil runs dry. Sadly I think there's a pretty good chance, if it was 4.5 quarts low, that serious damage was done, but that's pretty unscientific of me. Perhaps someone with more working knowledge can comment.

I've also read that on the V6 if you run low on oil the timing chain can jump (the tensioner works with oil pressure or something)... but I haven't heard anything similar on the N*.

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-25-12, 06:07 PM
Does that low acceleration noise sound like a rattle? Mine did when it was low on oil but when I filled it up the noise and the bucking went away...I think it was around 2000 rpms...my guess is your timing chain is stretched and if that's the case I wouldn't drive the car until its repaired...and mine doesn't drip oil either but the bottom of the motor is always wet with it so I have to constantly monitor the level

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-25-12, 06:12 PM
Does that low acceleration noise sound like a rattle? Mine did when it was low on oil but when I filled it up the noise and the bucking went away...I think it was around 2000 rpms...my guess is your timing chain is stretched and if that's the case I wouldn't drive the car until its repaired...and mine doesn't drip oil either but the bottom of the motor is always wet with it so I have to constantly monitor the level

Sorry I forgot to mention I have a 3.6 and never got an oil light either and my dipstick showed no oil at all until I started adding quarts

LICCIARDI
09-25-12, 06:21 PM
Yes it sounds like a rattle. But it is still there.

LICCIARDI
09-25-12, 06:24 PM
V6. Oil light works. Why is it burning oil ?

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-25-12, 06:34 PM
Yes it sounds like a rattle. But it is still there.

From what I've read on here that rattle sound is the timing chain...and 3.6s just burn oil

KRSTS
09-25-12, 07:22 PM
From what I've read on here that rattle sound is the timing chain...and 3.6s just burn oil

Really? That's a pretty general statement

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-25-12, 07:36 PM
Really? That's a pretty general statement

Meaning I don't know why they do, I just know that they do...

EChas3
09-25-12, 09:44 PM
According to member reports, some do and some don't. Unfortunately, also according to member reports, the latter turn into the former with little notice.

curtc
09-25-12, 10:14 PM
The 3.6 does NOT have an oil level sensor...if you ran it with that little of oil it's likely you damaged the timing chain, especially since it's still rattling after adding oil...the oil pressure sensor should've tripped I would think.

3.6's use oil, it's well documented here and in the CTS forum...if you own one CHECK THE OIL religiously.

OP, driving it may cause further damage, it needs expert attention ASAP. FYI, that 83% is the life, not the level...would take probably around 2k to get to 83% depending on driving habits.

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-25-12, 11:02 PM
The 3.6 does NOT have an oil level sensor...if you ran it with that little of oil it's likely you damaged the timing chain, especially since it's still rattling after adding oil...the oil pressure sensor should've tripped I would think.

3.6's use oil, it's well documented here and in the CTS forum...if you own one CHECK THE OIL religiously.

OP, driving it may cause further damage, it needs expert attention ASAP. FYI, that 83% is the life, not the level...would take probably around 2k to get to 83% depending on driving habits.

Thanks E and Curt for solid help on the subject...there's not many that understand what the forum is for

dannyquest
09-25-12, 11:13 PM
My 06 STS V-6 was burning oil at the rate of 1 qt. oil every 760 miles. It had only 48,000 miles. The dealer installed new piston rings. Has not used one drop of oil, now have 81,000 miles. Danny

SC2150
09-26-12, 03:01 PM
Lots of threads on this.....but I have to ask, you didn't notice it was getting low while checking fluid levels every few fill ups? The pistion ring issue is caused by the deposits/varnish accumulation from the oil ingestion into the intake air charge causing them to stick and not seal properly. dannyquest is an example but if the oil ingestion is not stopped the same thing may happen again over time.

dannyquest
09-26-12, 11:26 PM
The piston rings installed were a different type & part number. Even at 48,000 miles they didn't hone the piston cyclinder. The service tech said he would not do it untill 100,000 miles. Danny

SC2150
09-27-12, 10:38 AM
I assume a softer ring, but honing is always critical to proper ring seat as a hardend glaze froms on the cylinder walls in 4-500 miles that prevents proper ring seating.

The nice news is yours is cured.

:thumbsup:

orange57
09-28-12, 01:24 AM
Maybe i'm old school. But even though my car isn't burning oil (knock on wood) I check the level at least every other fill up.

carter's_sts
09-28-12, 10:48 AM
I'm really old school. I check all fluids on all the cars almost every weekend. But I'm also kind of weird.

C&C
09-28-12, 12:16 PM
I'm really old school. I check all fluids on all the cars almost every weekend. But I'm also kind of weird.
From what you describe, 'weird', in a good way.

cadillacmike68
09-29-12, 08:58 AM
I need to remind my wife to check the oil on all the cars his weekend.

Daves_05_STS
10-02-12, 07:54 PM
I'm not really old school, just plain old.

I've been checking fluids a lot lately due to a CHECK COOLANT LEVEL DIC and I must say, my 05 3.6 STS w/less than 80K eats more Mob1 5W-30 than my 00 Chrysler Concorde 163K -yes, the 2.7L is still going!

BTW -forgive me for speaking the obvious to many of you -the 3.6 needs 6QTs at change. If you do the Walmart jug, buy an additional QT. You will regisiter low on the d-stick w/o.

David