: looking to upgrade, 1999 concours to 2006 sts

kendotelie
09-25-12, 02:04 AM
hello. i currently drive a 1999 Cadillac deville Concours and i'm looking to upgrade a bit. A dealership is offering a 2006 Cadillac STS V6 for $6999, and i'd like to take that offer. But i do have concerns so im here amongst you pros for help. I am plagued currently with a northstar v8 with the usual headgasket failure, bad passenger side front wheel bearing, and of course a gas guzzler. Ive been reading consumer reviews for the STS and i see that many are happy with their buy. Can any of you tell me what problems are the usual with this one? Id like to make an informed decision about my buy. I have loved cadillacs ever since i was a boy and i look forward to owning a newer model

Ludacrisvp
09-25-12, 07:39 AM
Typical STS v6 issues are timing chain related.
The ride will be nothing like your deville it will be a lot stiffer.

kendotelie
09-25-12, 07:55 AM
how much does it cost to fix that should i run into that problem...FYI, the car has 77,287 miles

Jesda
09-25-12, 08:14 AM
7 grand? I didnt realize they'd become so affordable to buy.

kendotelie
09-25-12, 08:17 AM
its from a dealership that sells off lease cars. So some reading into the timing belt issue and i see that a good preventative measure to the timing chain issue is to insure oil levels are up. Is there more to it than that and what else should i watch out for with the STS V6

EChas3
09-25-12, 08:52 PM
The only other spendy issue is a greater than usual chance of oil starvation & subsequent ring damage. We are a V8 family so other members can better advise you.

As a whole, these cars are a lot of fun to drive and offer a lot of features for a reasonable price.

truckinman
09-25-12, 09:04 PM
I love my 05 3.6 STS. I've only put about 10k on it since buying it, but I bought mine at 82k miles. Paid a lot more than 7k tho. For a higher mile, one year older, car. But all I've had to do is replace one of the ignition coils. Its an easy DIY job. And the part was only 75 bucks. So a cheap fix if you DIY.

But it is very pleasurable to drive. I've taken it on several 6-10 hr road trips (each direction) and strictly on the highway at about 65 mph I can ave 27-28 mpg. The most comfortable car ive ever owned. Far as I'm concerned it's plenty quick with its 255 hp. A lotta people say it's way to underpowered. But not me. And I had a 300 hp Lexus b4 this car. Not as fast as the Lexus, no, but even going from that to this, I wasn't disappointed with it's performance at all.

Mullah88
09-29-12, 10:01 PM
Timing chain, ignition coil for me...but my warranty denied paying for the timing chain (saying there was nothing wrong with it! Lol)

cadillacmike68
10-01-12, 05:34 AM
You are not going to get a lot better mileage with an STS over a DeVille concours. That car had the performance NorthStar. You'll get a little, maybe 2-3 mpg, but no more.

STS sre great cars, but i would look for a NorthStar STS, it's closer to what you have, and is actualy more powerful. RWD STS Northstars have very few problems compared to any FWD Northstar setup (which were all the same engine / transmission regardless of whether it was a DeVille, ElDorado or Seville).

turnne
10-01-12, 07:54 PM
7 grand? I didnt realize they'd become so affordable to buy.

yes...and expect a lot of beat up ones to be on the market...as the cars have hit that threshold of value where people are not going to do..or are not able to afford expensive repairs

Warren