: My instrument panel is going crazy

Stingray23
09-25-12, 01:21 AM
My 2003 Escalade instrument panel is not working properly. I cant see the mileage. It keeps showing stuff in the different languages. I cant seem to bring it to show anything. I've tried everything. Its just crazy. The speedometer works as do the other gauges. Only the info doesnt work. What could it be? Do I need to replace the whole panel or is it a fuse?

the cadillac man
09-25-12, 01:24 AM
My 2003 Escalade instrument panel is not working properly. I cant see the mileage. It keeps showing stuff in the different languages. I cant seem to bring it to show anything. I've tried everything. Its just crazy. The speedometer works as do the other gauges. Only the info doesnt work. What could it be? Do I need to replace the whole panel or is it a fuse?

Sounds like the circuit board is going bad

Stingray23
09-25-12, 07:05 PM
How do I go about fixing it? Do I just replace the entire instrument cluster?

the cadillac man
09-25-12, 07:50 PM
How do I go about fixing it? Do I just replace the entire instrument cluster?

It may be fixable but it may be best to replace it.
There is a service on eBay that repairs the cluster but I don't know if they do this type of repair.

danog
09-26-12, 12:18 AM
#07187C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)

Subject: 07187C SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models: 2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT

2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE

2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE CERTAIN 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES IN THE U.S. ADDITIONALLY, FOR U.S. 2003-2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, GM WILL PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) ONLY, AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER FOR VERIFIED FAILURES BETWEEN 70,001 MILES (110,001 KM) AND 80,000 MILES (130,000 KM). ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS, INCLUDING LABOR TO REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER, WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CUSTOMER. DEALERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOMER'S IPC BACK TO THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE CENTER. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 07187B, ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008..

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2003 and 2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

wesyder
09-26-12, 01:43 AM
#07187C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)

Subject: 07187C — SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT – INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models: 2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT

2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE

2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE CERTAIN 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES IN THE U.S. ADDITIONALLY, FOR U.S. 2003-2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, GM WILL PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) ONLY, AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER FOR VERIFIED FAILURES BETWEEN 70,001 MILES (110,001 KM) AND 80,000 MILES (130,000 KM). ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS, INCLUDING LABOR TO REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER, WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CUSTOMER. DEALERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOMER'S IPC BACK TO THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE CENTER. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 07187B, ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008..

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2003 and 2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

I could be wrong but his issue is with the digital display i think the bulletin only covers the stepper motor issue

the cadillac man
09-26-12, 01:45 AM
If you go through with the tsb make sure everything on the cluster(feature wise) works BEFORE you leave.

Stingray23
09-26-12, 08:43 PM
I could be wrong but his issue is with the digital display i think the bulletin only covers the stepper motor issue

Yes, its the digital readouts. It cycles itself showing the different languages and operations. Right now, its in spanish. I cant even use the steering wheel buttons to get it to english or scroll to see mileage or anything. Its very frustrating. Is there a fuse for this?

the cadillac man
09-26-12, 09:44 PM
Yes, its the digital readouts. It cycles itself showing the different languages and operations. Right now, its in spanish. I cant even use the steering wheel buttons to get it to english or scroll to see mileage or anything. Its very frustrating. Is there a fuse for this?

The cluster has to be replaced.

Stingray23
09-27-12, 02:18 AM
That sucks.

the cadillac man
09-27-12, 03:09 AM
That sucks.

Mine was replaced because of the stepper motors(I think the previous owner didn't make sure everything worked before he left the dealer as I ain't getting some of the messages listed in the manual)

Stingray23
09-27-12, 10:46 PM
So if its replaced, I lose all the info including the correct mileage, right?

the cadillac man
09-27-12, 11:02 PM
So if its replaced, I lose all the info including the correct mileage, right?

Nope the mileage is in the PCM and the other stuff is in the bcm the only thing that may be reset is the trip meters.

wesyder
09-27-12, 11:23 PM
Nope the mileage is in the PCM and the other stuff is in the bcm the only thing that may be reset is the trip meters.

The mileage is not stored in the pcm it is in the cluster you will have to have the replacement cluster programmed to the correct mileage

Stingray23
09-28-12, 12:05 AM
sounds like a PITA.

the cadillac man
09-28-12, 12:25 AM
The mileage is not stored in the pcm it is in the cluster you will have to have the replacement cluster programmed to the correct mileage

It is stored in the PCM and the cluster I asked when I had the PCM in my truck replaced as they had to program the cluster to the new PCM.

wesyder
09-28-12, 01:14 AM
It is stored in the PCM and the cluster I asked when I had the PCM in my truck replaced as they had to program the cluster to the new PCM.

I will try to plug the tech 2 into my truck this weekend to see if i can compare the original miles i have tried 3 different clusters over the years... Good to know

the cadillac man
09-28-12, 12:05 PM
I will try to plug the tech 2 into my truck this weekend to see if i can compare the original miles i have tried 3 different clusters over the years... Good to know

Dang what caused that?

wesyder
09-28-12, 12:47 PM
Dang what caused that?

Nothing was wrong with them, i just use the one now since my warranty time is up

the cadillac man
09-28-12, 06:10 PM
Nothing was wrong with them, i just use the one now since my warranty time is up

Oh just wondering.

appleroma
09-30-12, 03:42 PM
My 05 Speedometer failed and it fixed by an ebay guy.

Stingray23
09-30-12, 09:27 PM
My 05 Speedometer failed and it fixed by an ebay guy.

Do you have a link? What was the cost?

danog
10-01-12, 12:46 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-GM-CADILLAC-ESCALADE-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-GAUGE-SPEEDOMETER-REPAIR-REBUILD-/270878474064

Stingray23
10-01-12, 03:31 PM
cool. thanks