: Negotiating Price for Custom Build

dennych
09-24-12, 06:32 PM
I've been shopping around for a Used V-wagon for awhile and It's been difficult to find one in the set-up that I'd like.
Also all new stock with what I'd like doesn't seem to be available.

Therefore it looks like I may have to custom order one. My question is if you custom order, is there any way to still negotiate the price just like you can with a car on the lot? I imagine it's more difficult as there is no physical inventory the dealership has to worry about depreciating. I'll probably be dealing specifically through competitive bidding online and was wondering if there's any way to be successful with that with a custom build.

team_car
09-24-12, 07:15 PM
I was in the same boat (wanting a slighlty unusual spec). I wasn't able to get any great deals and with no incentives guaranteed I kept shopping till I found what i wanted. Two dealers offered me whatever incentives were available at the time of delivery (not the time of order) but there was no way of them knowing what those might be. With $4k incentives available on the '12s, plus dealers keen to get rid of them, I'm glad I managed to find one.

Crystal Red CTS-V
09-24-12, 08:20 PM
I had to custom order mine to get the Crystal Red color, titanium base seats, and no sunroof. Since it was an order and November, the best I could do was $1000 off list + trade of my wife's Mini Cooper S.

neuronbob
09-24-12, 08:50 PM
I was going to ask this question myself. They simply don't make silver V wagons with Recaros and 6MT. I found a used wagon with my specs online with 42k miles. No thanks. I found no deals for a custom build, so I'm choosing to keep my V sedan for now and will try again next year.

dennych
09-24-12, 09:34 PM
Looks like it's as I feared. I guess I'll continue waiting for the used market to open something up or some dealer to finally get in a config I want :)

Or I could win the lotto and not worry about cost :)