: Clipped a Deer on the freeway...

Ludacrisvp
09-24-12, 02:15 PM
So last night on the way to work on I-94 East (just over 1 mile from Rogers Exit) going about 70-75MPH I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to meet up with a medium sized deer.

Perhaps luck or chance would have it that I was traveling in the Right side lane since this allowed me to only clip the deer with the drivers side of the car, rather than had I been in the Left lane a full head-on collision with the animal.

Quite luckily I think the only damage to the car is the driver's door mirror / housing.
As I was on the brakes and swerving a little to the right to attempt to avoid the animal I saw the deer's head smack into the mirror shattering the mirror glass and popping the painted housing off of the rest of the mirror assembly. The mirror folded in rather then snapping completely off of the car.

So here are some pictures that I took just after it happened after pulling into the Holiday station in Rogers.
I did pull off the road immediately to check for possible damage that would have made the car undriveable.
Nothing seemed obvious and I couldn't locate the deer that I had hit, and none of the other traffic was dodging a deer in the road so either it made it off the road after I hit it or I hit it hard enough that it was knocked off the road.

Its head was clipped by the mirror and something hit the driver door handle (looked like slobber/fluids on it but appeared to be undamaged) then I assume its head/nose rubbed the side of the car as there is an obvious streak going down the side of the car. I am not sure if this is actual paint damage or if there is any dents involved. I can hope that whatever it is will wash off ... who knows.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8039/8020231267_8dbfec6ca7_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8315/8020235226_75ee684840_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8300/8020237824_114bcbe5de_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8439/8020237106_980a991055_b.jpg

So I was driving along and saw a very slow moving car on the West bound side of the freeway, no traffic in front of me for miles, and noticed that there was a lot of dust kicked up between each side of the freeway. Thinking that this car turned around in the No U-Turn spot that cops sit in that I was approaching... I don't know for sure but I think the deer was hit by that car first and was trying to stumble away when I hit it, as I impacted with it at the same spot in the road as the turnaround point is.

On a side note I was on the phone via Bluetooth to the Nav unit, upon impact the call was disconnected. I thought that seemed odd.

No airbags went off, I'm physically OK, but saddened by the damage to the car.

While I obviously have insurance that would take care of the damage (98% sure it has a $500 deductible... might be $250 but I doubt it)
I am at a point where I need advice on Do I take it to a body shop for an estimate or replace the mirror housing with a new/used one out of pocket?

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-24-12, 08:22 PM
I'd see how much the repair would be from a shop and go from there...sorry that happened to you...I've been meaning to ask you what is the name of that color...I've only seen a couple of cars with that color

curtc
09-24-12, 09:29 PM
Man...I hate deer! Hit a bambi once, took out the passenger side headlight on the old 01 Seville, cost me $325, used!

Get an estimate, if it's well over the deductible, claim it, if it's under or just slightly more, I wouldn't. We gotta watch out for those things this time of year, damn things come out of nowhere...GO HUNTERS! :)

And I believe that color is "Blackberry" if I'm not mistaken.

truckinman
09-24-12, 10:22 PM
It was this time of year my parents nailed a deer in there in there new at the time Avalon Limited. That wasn't a cheapy. They've got that laser adaptive cruise sensor in their front bumper. It ended up costing right around 2500-3k

EChas3
09-24-12, 11:00 PM
A deer once rolled down the side of my Roadmaster. That was over $3,500. It adds up fast.

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-24-12, 11:09 PM
Man...I hate deer! Hit a bambi once, took out the passenger side headlight on the old 01 Seville, cost me $325, used!

Get an estimate, if it's well over the deductible, claim it, if it's under or just slightly more, I wouldn't. We gotta watch out for those things this time of year, damn things come out of nowhere...GO HUNTERS! :)

And I believe that color is "Blackberry" if I'm not mistaken.

Ok thanks...it's a nice color

Ludacrisvp
09-25-12, 12:08 AM
Ok thanks...it's a nice color

Thanks. GM's internal name for it is "Dark Brahma Jewel Coat Metallic"
I've seen it referenced as "black cherry" for the STS and SRX... The blackberry name I think was what they called the CTS ? Not sure on that.

Sounds like I'll bring it for an estimate and go from there. Checked eBay and none of the mirrors I can find are the right color and the ones I did look at were not equipped for the sbza indicator. So that will likely limit my options a bit.

dkozloski
09-25-12, 05:01 PM
You're lucky you didn't hit a moose. Usually you peel the roof back and you have about a thousand pounds of guts and poop in the front seat with you.

ddalder
09-25-12, 06:33 PM
Hard to tell from the pic, but is the colour shell broken, or just what it attaches to? These housings are easily transferred between mirror bases.

Ludacrisvp
09-25-12, 11:49 PM
Hard to tell from the pic, but is the colour shell broken, or just what it attaches to? These housings are easily transferred between mirror bases.

The shell is mostly intact. One of the two pins that are closest to the door is snapped off. And the corner furthest away from the door is cracked. The mounting tab behind the mirror adjuster motor that connects to the shell is broken on the housing side but not the shell.

Ludacrisvp
09-25-12, 11:50 PM
You're lucky you didn't hit a moose. Usually you peel the roof back and you have about a thousand pounds of guts and poop in the front seat with you.

Yuck. Glad I didn't get to enjoy that situation.

ddalder
09-26-12, 01:49 AM
The shell is mostly intact. One of the two pins that are closest to the door is snapped off. And the corner furthest away from the door is cracked. The mounting tab behind the mirror adjuster motor that connects to the shell is broken on the housing side but not the shell.
Well, it doesn't sound 100%, but does seem like it might be usable (at least for a while) if you can round up a good base and glass. This should help with the colour issue until you can find one or have the one painted that will come on your replacement.

Ludacrisvp
09-26-12, 03:56 PM
Just ordered a replacement mirror from Chris @ Rippy Cadillac unable to locate any mirrors that had all my options on eBay or car-part.com.
Body shop said they would paint it for $75 and install it for $50. Still undecided if I want to swap the shell and risk breaking the mirror glass.
As when I was upgrading to turn signal mirrors on my Deville (since my autodimming failed) I broke a the mirror glass for one mirror and had to order another.
So total will be a little less than my deductible and no hassling with insurance.

ddalder
09-26-12, 07:08 PM
There is definitely a risk of breaking the glass, but with care and correct tools, easy enough to do. For $125 though, I'd just have the body shop take care of it. That's a good enough price. Personally, I hate other people working on my cars. It seems like there is always something wrong when I get it back. Broken/missing parts, greasy hand prints on the interior, scratches, incorrect reassembly, and the list goes on. I do have a couple of shops now that I trust but this took some time and work to achieve.

truckinman
09-27-12, 09:57 AM
There is definitely a risk of breaking the glass, but with care and correct tools, easy enough to do. For $125 though, I'd just have the body shop take care of it. That's a good enough price. Personally, I hate other people working on my cars. It seems like there is always something wrong when I get it back. Broken/missing parts, greasy hand prints on the interior, scratches, incorrect reassembly, and the list goes on. I do have a couple of shops now that I trust but this took some time and work to achieve.

Couldn't agree more. Stopped going to shops completely when about, 8 years ago, I took my 95 jeep wrangler into a shop. They took it for a test drive. And they LEAD mechanic was driving with me in it, and he was grinding every other gear! Nearly stalling it a couple times. And im riding with him. This was right after I had just had that tranny rebuilt at a tranny shop. All new syncros and everything. So I knew my tranny was good. He just didnt know how to drive a stick.

And a time b4 that, a car I had was in the same shop. I was driving thru town in my parents car, and I saw the mechanic driving my car, smoking a damn cig in there! I'm not a smoker and hate when people smoke in my cars! Just seemed completely unprofessional.