: weird noise coming from drivers side front wheel well or under front left dash

2MCHPWR
09-24-12, 07:31 AM
it sounds like a fan and its speed related.
Doesn't start until over 20-30 mph.
I thought it was the HVAC fan at first but I shut that off and the sound is still there.

The chrome is peeling off the inside of the wheels and I thought that might be it but I pulled off the peeling sections and its still making that noise.

thoughts?

the cadillac man
09-24-12, 09:47 AM
it sounds like a fan and its speed related.
Doesn't start until over 20-30 mph.
I thought it was the HVAC fan at first but I shut that off and the sound is still there.

The chrome is peeling off the inside of the wheels and I thought that might be it but I pulled off the peeling sections and its still making that noise.

thoughts?

Does it go away when you make turns if yes then it's a wheel bearing.

mikedyk43
09-24-12, 04:24 PM
I would take a close look at the plastic lining in the wheel well. Any plastic parts that use those plastic pop rivets can flap pretty good in the wind if they are not secured.

2MCHPWR
09-25-12, 08:15 PM
thanks guys. i'll check both of those tomorrow.
I also notice the chrome peeling off the wheels in the inside of the barrel. In the rear wheel, it was making a rubbing/grinding noise (hitting the caliper) until i pulled it off.
Curious if its making noise on the front now.

the cadillac man
09-26-12, 12:39 AM
thanks guys. i'll check both of those tomorrow.
I also notice the chrome peeling off the wheels in the inside of the barrel. In the rear wheel, it was making a rubbing/grinding noise (hitting the caliper) until i pulled it off.
Curious if its making noise on the front now.

Given how you described the noise it sounds like a bearing or you have a wheel well loose.

the cadillac man
09-28-12, 09:44 AM
I shut that off and the sound is still there.

It sounds like a wheel bearing does it go away when you make turns.

2MCHPWR
09-28-12, 10:44 AM
it doesn't go away or change in turns. it starts at like 20 mph and gets louder as speed increases. It sounds dead on like an electrical fan. so weird.

the cadillac man
09-28-12, 05:11 PM
it doesn't go away or change in turns. it starts at like 20 mph and gets louder as speed increases. It sounds dead on like an electrical fan. so weird.

It could be the u joints on the driveshaft.

osure
09-29-12, 06:23 PM
Jack up the side wheel off ground feel if the is any play. Should be no play gm is notorious for wheel hub assembles. If. Not that I would drop back of drive shaft see if the u joints are bad.

2MCHPWR
11-08-12, 08:27 AM
this is still making the noise.
I jacked up the whole truck and let the wheels get up to speed but the noise doesn't happen on the lift.
why is that?
almost sounds like somthing flapping in the wind. very annoying.
no play in wheel.

the cadillac man
11-08-12, 10:50 AM
this is still making the noise.
I jacked up the whole truck and let the wheels get up to speed but the noise doesn't happen on the lift.
why is that?
almost sounds like somthing flapping in the wind. very annoying.
no play in wheel.

Bearings can be a pain to locate it may be a wheel hub bearing I know those the noise comes and goes while driving(if its the front)while makes turns

Wiggle each wheel and (grab at the top and bottom of the rim) work it up and down if it moves then the wheel bearing is bad

like_a_rock
11-08-12, 11:34 PM
it may be a bearing noise depending on what you mean by fan noise, if its a growling noise that goes with road speed then it could be a wheel bearing or possibly a carrier or pinion bearing in the front differential. wheel bearing noise usually changes on turns. differential bearing noises usually change between accel and decel.
might be a good idea to drain front diff oil and look for metal flakes from bearings if this is hittin home at all.

the cadillac man
11-09-12, 12:26 AM
Don't forget that the transmission can whine if the fluid is lowi had this happen lately to me(I didn't notice the fluid had been changed at some point in time.)

Also the belt tensioners has bearings in them also which can wear out

The front axle has cv joints that can make noise when they wear out.(if your escalade is all wheel drive) and all have wheel bearings