: Love the ATS - BUT...

atsfan
09-23-12, 03:22 PM
First and foremost, I have never owned a Cadillac.
I have never really wanted to own a Caddy until I heard about the new ATS and it's performance reviews, handling, braking, and it's amazing CUE system.

After months of anxiously awaiting the release of the Cadillac ATS - a nearby dealership finally got some into their lot.
After seeing this car in person and finally test driving a premium vehicle, I have to admit there is a LOT to like about this vehicle.

However, there is one major deal breaker - the back seats.

I'm only 5'9" and sitting in the back seat, I felt as if I had to hunch down to keep from hitting the headliner. I can't express how disappointed this made me feel.
This really *REALLY* sucks because if I want to have a car that has more legroom in the back, the only other option would be the XTS which is $10,000.00 more than what I want to spend on a car.
The XTS doesn't have nearly the same performance that the ATS has although the CUE system seems to be better in the XTS but that's a crying shame to have to sacrifice power, performance, and a sleek midsize sedan just to have that extra legroom space in a vehicle.

I was so ready to pull the trigger on a new car. I was so ready to finally give Cadillac a chance with my hard earned dollar.
I was so ready to stop buying foreign cars but now I have to go back to the drawing board.

Don't get me wrong, the ATS is everything you could ask for in a sleek performance vehicle and I really wish I could get over the fact about the backseat room.
I guess I'm going to have to "settle" for something else or drive my current vehicle until another manufacturer can step up to the plate in 2014/2015.

jurzdevil
09-23-12, 04:35 PM
2014 CTS coming next year should have all the features and abilities of the ATS in a larger platform.

rchern
09-23-12, 04:45 PM
I really hate to hear that. I have a CTS coupe and the back seat is pretty much useless. According to Cadillac's specs the coupe has 1" less legroom and 2.6" less headroom. It feels worse than that because of the slope of the back window, plus you have to be a gymnast to get in the back. But, I really don't care because hardly anybody rides back there. What this has to do with your post is that now that I have the coupe, because I love the styling, I don't want to go back to a sedan and I was hoping that there will be a ATS coupe but it sounds like if it's that small in the sedan it might be physically impossible to build a coupe if they're going to have shorten the legroom and headroom as much as the CTS. You could only fit 2 kids comfortably in the back of my car and the car according to Cadillac is only a 4 seater. I'll have to wait and see the sedan and drive it and see what the new CTS is like. This is my 5th Caddy in a row and my 7th GM car in a row but if I can't find something I like I might have to go to Audi A5.

DG2
09-23-12, 07:44 PM
Come on buy the ATS. How many time are you going drive it from the back seat !

JSATS
09-23-12, 08:15 PM
I sat in the back seat of the ATS while my wife test drove it. I'm 5'10" tall and pretty stout. I felt comfortable and had plenty of room. I'm not sure how much room you need unless you like to really move around when someone else is driving. We have an 09 Audi right now and the back seat isn't any more comfortable than the ATS. I'm thinking that if back seat room is important to you then you need to stay away from all of the performance sedans in this class because none of them offer spacious back seats. The best part of the ATS is behind the wheel and thats where I plan on spending most of my time when I'm in it. That is if my wife lets me!

AtlantaGuy00
09-23-12, 10:12 PM
If a large back seat is important to you, well then it is what it is. JSATS is right, this may not be the car for you. But, as far as back seats go I've seen better, I've seen worse. My salesman got back there and he was a big fat guy. (I hope he's not reading this)

Sol588
09-23-12, 10:35 PM
Saw a base model ATS in Orange, VA today. This one was white. Not feeling it...hopefully, when I see the premium in other colors and get a chance to test drive it my feelings will change.

Fraggy
09-23-12, 10:36 PM
If a large back seat is important to you, well then it is what it is. JSATS is right, this may not be the car for you. But, as far as back seats go I've seen better, I've seen worse. My salesman got back there and he was a big fat guy. (I hope he's not reading this)

Lol :)

buttfish77
09-23-12, 11:40 PM
One very important thing to note is that the sunroof eats into rear headroom, or at least the perception of rear headroom. When equipped with a sunroof, there is an obvious cutout near the back window for human heads. The middle section of the headliner is a couple inches lower. I'm thinking since I seldom use the sunroof I have in other cars anyway, might as well ditch it on the ATS and be happy with a more airy cabin.

JSATS
09-23-12, 11:50 PM
One very important thing to note is that the sunroof eats into rear headroom, or at least the perception of rear headroom. When equipped with a sunroof, there is an obvious cutout near the back window for human heads. The middle section of the headliner is a couple inches lower. I'm thinking since I seldom use the sunroof I have in other cars anyway, might as well ditch it on the ATS and be happy with a more airy cabin.

We have had sunroofs on our last three cars and my wife and myself never use them. I don't know why? Some people I know love them and use them all the time. We ordered our ATS without the sunroof option. I remember telling my audi dealer that I didn't want a sunroof and I didn't like paying for it but it was standard equipement and I had no choice.

DG2
09-23-12, 11:52 PM
What's great if someone really wants a roomy car wit a comfy back seat then the XTS could not be a more perfect car ! ATS is an autobahn
Machine.

marktanner
09-24-12, 03:27 AM
I am 5'9", with a relatively tall torso. I have sat in the back of 3 different ATSs, a Premium with no sun roof, and a Luxury both with and without sunroofs. Behind the driver's seat adjusted for me, I had adequate room in both configurations, though the ATS without the roof definitely seems to have more headroom. I'm not sure it really does have more room, as there is a cut-out for the head, but the headliner does drop down in front of the face which makes it feel tighter. The ATS may actually have more rear headroom than my CTS. The Premium seems to have more comfortable seats than the Luxury interior. The room in the ATS seems pretty similar to the previous BMW 3-series, MB C- class, and Audi A4. The new BMW does feel more spacious, and has a bigger trunk for sure, but I didn't think the seats were as comfortable. I didn't think the BMW interior was as nicely designed as the ATS, either.

thebigjimsho
09-24-12, 06:49 AM
In my CTS-V sedan, I have that notch in the headliner behind my Ultraview roof. However, a sedan without a roof felt cavernous in comparison...

gohawks63
09-25-12, 11:46 PM
I didn't get a chance to drive one, but I was crawling all over a 3.6L ATS Premium while I was waiting for an oil change. I liked the car a lot. Very handsome and luxurious. Backseat space wasn't an issue for me, but then you're talking to a guy who is driving a '12 CTS coupe. At this stage in my life, Backseat space is not an issue for me. My oldest son has his own car, I typically drive my car alone or with one passenger, and when we go out as a family we drive in my wife's BMW X5.

As others have said, other cars in this class (3 series, Infiniti G, Audi A4, etc) also have tight back seats. If you need more room, you need to move up to a BMW 5 series, Infiniti M, Audi A6, etc.

I think Caddy did a nice job on it, but I fear that they are losing their edginess.

Tonight when I went to get my haircut, I had parked right in front of the place. The car was immaculate and i must admit it looked gorgeous in all of it's Black Diamond Tricoat splendor. The girls were just going ga ga over it.

I mentioned the ATS to them and they went online to look at it. They mentioned that they didn't like that Cadillac that was softening the edges. They REALLY liked the sharp creases of the CTS, especially the coupe. This is from 30 year old women.

JimmyH
09-27-12, 05:12 PM
I think the ATS is much better looking than the CTS for that very reason.

gohawks63
09-27-12, 07:14 PM
I think the ATS is much better looking than the CTS for that very reason.

That women think that Cadillac is being too conservative and that the car is now "softer" in design?

JimmyH
09-27-12, 07:15 PM
Yup

gohawks63
09-27-12, 11:15 PM
Yup

C'mon, now you just sound sexist. It's not just women saying that, but it's been a hot topic on the CTS forums too. With the rumors that they new CTS will have softer lines is not making many people there happy.

Again, I like the ATS, ALOT, but the edginess in their designs is what set Cadillac apart. I think the ATS, and XTS are evolutions, but I just worry that they soften it too much to the point that you won't be able to differentiate a CTS from a LaCrosse.

b4z
09-29-12, 12:07 AM
Cadillac has gone from a maker of roomy lapuxury cars to a maker of sporty luxury cars with no legroom.
The cramped triplets include the ATS, CTS and SRX.