: Hit huge rock. Radiator question.

LAC_STS
09-22-12, 02:58 PM
Well I hit a huge rock while I was turning around in someones yard. My INS company isnt coming to look at the car until Tuesday.

When I hit the rock it pushed in the bottom part of the bumper cover below the top grill in. It didnt touch the radiator except for the bottom.

So the bottom part of the radiator where it connects to the car/frame busted off. There is no hole or other visible damage to the radiator.

Heres the problem. Right after it happened it was leaking coolant pretty good. Then after about 20 mins it slowed to a drip. And now it doesn't even leak at all. Not at all. The level in the expansion tank is the same and hasn't moved at all.

How can this be? I am thinking trans cooler or something? Is the trans cooler the thing that it in the inside of the bumper reinforcement bar?

What else could it have been that would have leaked out but now doesn't leak anymore like its empty? I would think that even if it was a trans cooler that it would still leak wouldnt it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aurora5000
09-23-12, 01:38 PM
Take it to a radiator shop, have them to check radiator, if it was leaking then it stopped, you definetly need it looked at because it stopped for a reason. The body damage, have a body shop look at it. Transmission shop to look at tranny damage if any. Good Luck. :)

LAC_STS
09-27-12, 07:31 PM
Yea I figured that much but thanks.

I am waiting on the ins adjuster to come look at it. Its def a couple k damage either way.

Wondering what they are gonna say about me having a 2008+ front fascia and E&G grills.

Ludacrisvp
09-27-12, 07:41 PM
I am waiting on the ins adjuster to come look at it.
Wondering what they are gonna say about me having a 2008+ front fascia and E&G grills.
They most likely wont notice the difference.
Adjusters basically will record what components are damaged and that is about it.
Most of them are just pencil pushers that are just there for a paycheck and will not notice nor care about changes... as in few of them are car people.

Not sure of the cost change from 05 vs 08 style so if that needs replacement your claim will likely be based on the 05 model pricing.

EChas3
09-29-12, 01:24 PM
Good insurance covers mod's. It may not be as easy to find a shop that will source the right parts.