: exchange kia rio5 2008 for deville 2003 ?

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 08:20 PM
hello my name is mike i am 20 years old i bought a kia rio5 a year ago and still own a loan on it, my car is worth 6500$ and dealerships will give me that amount, i saw this cadillac deville 2003 with 170 000 km test drove it seems okay expect needs front disk change because you can feel the car jumping while braking apperently a priest owned it now the cadillac is worth 5500$ so they will exchange it for my car with no fees should i exchange it ps i paye 630 a month with insurance for my kia rio5 i live in ontario canada if i get the caddy i will pay 240 a month in insurance so i will save on insurance my kia has 110 000km and i still neec to keep paying loan for 4 more years yes i got cheated but if sonethings hapoen with the kia i het a brand new 2012 free of charge so i am wondering should i stay with my kia for 630 a month or get the caddy and probably pay the same with the money saved on insurance put to gas cause of V8 i dont know if caddy will last. what should i do ??

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 08:22 PM
sorry for typing using phone

brandondeleo
09-21-12, 08:30 PM
Dump the Rio, get the Caddy.

Absolutely no bias will be found on this site. :D

orconn
09-21-12, 08:33 PM
Keep the Kia and when the warranty runs out send it to sleep with the fishes!

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 08:35 PM
the warrenty runs out in about 20 000km and when i mean if somethings happens i mean in total loss accident

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 08:36 PM
i need my car to be unrepairable in order to get the 2012

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 08:37 PM
other wise i pay for everything lije timing belt 300 just belt i don't know how much for labor

orconn
09-21-12, 08:46 PM
You actually beieve a 10 year old Cadillac will be cheaper to own and operate than the Kia? Dream on!

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 08:57 PM
well if i do good maintenance and don't drive around too much its not a race car just respect it and drive it fairly i don't see whats wrong unless oil changes are more expensive just because its a cadillac i don't think it will break down to much either unless you guys can explain to me how it's going to be because paying 630 month for lowest class piece of sorry my language s**t is annoying me i am all bent over in that car have a sore back when driving more then an hour and getting in is like getting into a hole and crawling out of it for exit i bought this car fast witouth think because bqack then i couldent afford better i needed new car for work so i wouldent have to pay for repair all the time and i lived in a big city so it was good for the time now i live in a small city and in another province or state as you would like to call it and here insurance is a bias but for caddy insurance is lower

creeker
09-21-12, 09:40 PM
Comma's are nice,where do you live.

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 09:46 PM
canada ontario kingston

cadillac kevin
09-21-12, 09:59 PM
Why would you buy a new kia when you're 19?
Anyways, finish paying that thing off and when its paid off, get another car. No reason to roll your loan onto an older, less reliable car.
And if you think upkeep on an older northstar powered deville is cheaper then a new car, you'll be in for a rude awakening.
Search the fwd deville and fwd seville/ eldorado and you'll get an idea of what you're in for.

Ranger
09-21-12, 10:14 PM
A Kia or A Cadillac is not even a question in my mind.

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 10:14 PM
okay ill check it out so i guess i will have to stick with that bias kia for a while but be reasonable is 630 a month is a rip off for this car

cadillac kevin
09-21-12, 10:36 PM
okay ill check it out so i guess i will have to stick with that bias kia for a while but be reasonable is 630 a month is a rip off for this car

For a kia, yes. How did your monthly payments cost that much? Did you put nothing down or what?

creeker
09-21-12, 11:00 PM
Your really between a rock and a hard place aren't you, paying on a high mileage car that you dont even like for another 4 years, i think I would want a change too,

sounds like you will either pay on the kia for another 4 years or pay on a caddy for 4 years, I would suggest you get some financial advice from someone you can
trust, the kia is going to need work soon probably.

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 11:09 PM
yeah when i bought the kia it was at 73000 now after a year its at 107000 km i pay 252 a month for car loan and 380 fully loaded insurance with extra because of the bank , bank is scared i don't pay them or wreck the car and don't pay so they can reclaim insurance like i said id save like 140 on insurance each month if i had caddy

Devillethrill
09-21-12, 11:15 PM
Your really between a rock and a hard place aren't you, paying on a high mileage car that you dont even like for another 4 years, i think I would want a change too,

sounds like you will either pay on the kia for another 4 years or pay on a caddy for 4 years, I would suggest you get some financial advice from someone you can
trust, the kia is going to need work soon probably.

yeah i know the only way they said i could buy something new is to put the loan into a private investement loan so i can pay it off as visa then i can do what i want with the kia but if the loan is not cleared it is mandatory that i keep car its the banks security for me paying or either i change my care for an equal value or buy another car have a dealer payout loan and open new one with what ever car i changed for if its worth more then my car resell value then it adds up to loan creating infinit loop

truckinman
09-21-12, 11:48 PM
Wow. I'm not sure if you understand how painful and confusing it is to read a post with NO caution to grammatical value what so ever. No camas, no periods, no new paragraphs. I only use a phone too, but I still make it tolerable to read for others. Its very hard, for me anyway, to take anybody serious when they type like that on a public forum.

NOW, far as the question at hand here. Keep the Kia. Even tho you don't have much warranty left, it's still better than none. Unless you know how to work on the caddy yourself, you'll NEED a warranty. Just some parts by themselves will cost more on the caddy than parts AND labor on the Kia. I can't believe how much you're paying on car insurance a month. Only way I'd expect that is if it were a corvette or something like that, being how young you are. But a Kia? No model could even come close to being considered a "performance car". When I was 19, I bought a Lexus GS400. That WAS considered a performance car seeing as how in 98, it was actually the worlds fastest 4-door sedan. Yet, at 19, I paid 220 a month for that car.

Bottom line is, financially, it would make absolutely no sense to make the switch. In fact it would be one of the dumber things you could do. BUT, ultimately its up to you. If you really want the caddy, it shouldn't matter what anyone else says or thinks. But what ever you do, make sure you understand, just because the caddy is older doesn't mean parts are cheaper. You will cry yourself to sleep the night of your first repair to the caddy if you don't have a warranty.

Good luck in your venture, which ever route you decide to take!

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 12:49 AM
Thank you Truckinman! sorry for my writing, i was kind of typing fast.
I was seeking suggestions, to my problem, as people and dealerships, tend to fool young people.
I will still be on the lookout, for better offers, as i am not quite pleased, with my current mean of transportation. The caddy was joyfull and exciting on test drive, ladies and gentlemens, all seemed to look at this caddy, Driven by a young freshmen. It was exhilarating to notice.
Furthermore, i can't wait to change my car, as it does not fit nor represent my social status. :)

creeker
09-22-12, 12:58 AM
Getting into warranties would open a big can worms,we had quite a discussion on this forum awhile back, the bottom line was their not worth getting, there
is the odd story when someone collects on them, but rarely.

deville thrill , dealers do not only fool young people, they will hose anyone they can.

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 01:08 AM
yeah, i learned it the hard way.

cadillac kevin
09-22-12, 01:32 AM
Thank you Truckinman! sorry for my writing, i was kind of typing fast.
I was seeking suggestions, to my problem, as people and dealerships, tend to fool young people.
I will still be on the lookout, for better offers, as i am not quite pleased, with my current mean of transportation. The caddy was joyfull and exciting on test drive, ladies and gentlemens, all seemed to look at this caddy, Driven by a young freshmen. It was exhilarating to notice.
Furthermore, i can't wait to change my car, as it does not fit nor represent my social status. :)
what, you're not a hip hop loving "hood rat"? lol

Aron9000
09-22-12, 01:59 AM
You need to shop some insurance. $380 a month is straight ridiculous on a Kia Rio. By the time its said and done you'll pay 1.5 times more to the insurance company than for the loan, and that is including interest. If you can't get a break on the Kia's insurance, you need to sell it, take a bath on the loan, buy an ugly but reliable car for like $1-2k.

I don't know what the laws are like in Canada, but another option might be to quit paying on it. I know that is real shady and you must wrestle with the ethical implications. But seriously you're 19 and your credit score is most likely shit, so getting your car repossesed isn't going to make a HUGE difference at this stage in the game. Granted banks probably won't give you any sort of credit for the next 5 years, but that's something you'll have to think about.

77CDV
09-22-12, 02:52 AM
You've got the right of it, Aron. If it doesn't send him to jail, the quickest way out from under this nightmare scenario is to just let the Kia get repo'd. Then drop $2000 on an old, RWD American car. One of those should be cheap enough to run until he gets his finances sorted.

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 03:29 AM
yeah i'll have to shop my insurance, or trade in for a less pricy car they give me 6500$ for trade in if i buy a 5000-6000 used car ill keep my loan untouched

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 03:32 AM
what, you're not a hip hop loving "hood rat"? lol

you know what kevin? i am not lol.
But i do enjoy some hip hop , rap songs long as they make sens

ben.gators
09-22-12, 05:20 AM
i saw this cadillac deville 2003 with 170 000 km test drove it seems okay expect needs front disk change because you can feel the car jumping while braking apperently a priest owned it

The only positive thing is that literally the oil has been changed religiously! :D Other than that, a FWD Cadillac is not a suitable car for you, if you are struggling with financial problems remain from Kia. Don't let the low price tag of FWD Cadillacs fool you.. maintenance and repairs can be (and will be) costly!

truckinman
09-22-12, 10:30 AM
The only positive thing is that literally the oil has been changed religiously! :D

Welcome to the cheesiest jokes awards! ...

ted tcb
09-22-12, 11:23 AM

Impossible to answer this question without giving us the purchase details and your insurance rate.

Your $630 p/m includes insurance, and your 20 yrs old.
If your insurance is $315 p/m, and your loan is $315 p/m, then it may be a reasonable deal.

I suspect you are rolling a significant amount of negative equity into a 10 yr old vehicle, then trying
to finance that car for another 4 years.
I cannot think of a worse scenario for a 20 year old, living paycheck to paycheck.

Keep the simple, newer car.

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 02:30 PM
Impossible to answer this question without giving us the purchase details and your insurance rate.

Your $630 p/m includes insurance, and your 20 yrs old.
If your insurance is $315 p/m, and your loan is $315 p/m, then it may be a reasonable deal.

I suspect you are rolling a significant amount of negative equity into a 10 yr old vehicle, then trying
to finance that car for another 4 years.
I cannot think of a worse scenario for a 20 year old, living paycheck to paycheck.

Keep the simple, newer car.

yeah thanks here's how it goes 252 for car 380 insurance

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 05:38 PM
it's hard to go back to any other car after test driving the caddy, it feels like all the other cars are s*h*t. Even the new ones i'd take any day the caddy

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 06:43 PM
the closest thing with high class i can get and able to pay repairs is a kia Amanti

ShapeShifter
09-22-12, 07:08 PM
Your immediate goal should be a vehicle that's reliable, economical and easy to maintain. You can always upgrade to something nicer in the future when your finances improve.

If you fall victim to financing beyond your means for a high class image now, then you'll likely be financially strapped in the future trying to keep up with the Joneses or Kardashians.

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 07:14 PM
Your immediate goal should be a vehicle that's reliable, economical and easy to maintain. You can always upgrade to something nicer in the future when your finances improve.

If you fall victim to financing beyond your means for a high class image now, then you'll likely be financially strapped in the future trying to keep up with the Joneses or Kardashians.

lol yeah Kardashians, but i don't have problems paying,i have an awsome credit basicly, i pay all my bills no parents help the problem is i could get caddy but i am not sure to be able to pay a 1000 dollars bill that often for it unless it lasts but i doubt it since its a 2003 deville with 176 000

Devillethrill
09-22-12, 11:51 PM
so yeah basicly monday i an going to check out for a nissan Altima or a kia amanti cause thats the closest cars to luxury

cadillac kevin
09-22-12, 11:59 PM
so yeah basicly monday i an going to check out for a nissan Altima or a kia amanti cause thats the closest cars to luxury

LMAO
Surely you can get a 15 year old buick lesabre or something more luxurious than a POS amanti. I guess if you're looking for upper class on a high school budget, a Kia-U-AR would be in your budget though.

77CDV
09-23-12, 12:59 AM
LMAO
Surely you can get a 15 year old buick lesabre or something more luxurious than a POS amanti. I guess if you're looking for upper class on a high school budget, a Kia-U-AR would be in your budget though.

No kidding! See Chad's new Buick!

brandondeleo
09-23-12, 01:04 AM
nissan Altima or a kia amanti cause thats the closest cars to luxury
...I drive a Sebring and I'm laughing my ass off right now. :histeric:

CadillacLuke24
09-23-12, 01:09 AM

If I were you, and I had my heart set on a Cadillac, check out something like a 91-93 DeVille. They can get pricey, but I think they'd be far more manageable than a Northstar Cadillac. One of our forum members had a 91 DeVille that he gave to his sister, and with over 270,000 miles (434,523 KM) it's still goin' strong!

cadillac kevin
09-23-12, 01:10 AM
No kidding! See Chad's new Buick!

Something like that or a late 80s/ early 90s cutlass or century with the 3300 would be a good reliable semi-luxury car. my dad had a 92 century and a 91 cutlass ciera wagon...both were excellent cars in comfort (not as nice as a caddy, but comfortable, and you can swap in deville/ seville seats from the late 80s), reliability (wagon was totalled at 180k but ran great until then, century is still seen around town), fuel economy (approx 20 mpg mixed), and performance (for a mid size family sedan, they were quick). Just get one with low miles and no rust and you'll be set.

Devillethrill
09-23-12, 01:28 AM
yeah ill check it out thanks guys keep posting

Jesda
09-23-12, 04:51 AM
Look for a 2004 or 2005 Deville since the bolts on the heads were improved to prevent head gasket failure.

As someone who has been there before, I do not suggest moving forward with this plan.

Devillethrill
09-23-12, 08:27 AM
Look for a 2004 or 2005 Deville since the bolts on the heads were improved to prevent head gasket failure.

As someone who has been there before, I do not suggest moving forward with this plan.

okay! that gives me hope thanks

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-23-12, 12:44 PM
The Amanti wasn't a bad car. It was a lot like a Diamante or an Avalon... a lot of luxury features on a budget. They were kinda funky looking and had terrible resale though. I've driven a few and they really, really float.

Devillethrill
09-23-12, 02:57 PM
hum yeah ill check the amanti but still keep thinking on the caddy

truckinman
09-24-12, 12:13 AM
I 2nd looking for a Buick LeSabre limited or Park Ave ultra. The Ultra is supercharged. Pretty quick for such a large front wheel drive, V6 boat. Something like 240 hp outa the super charged 3800 V6. And very luxurious. Very roomy. Great on a budget. In my opinion kind of a "poor mans" DeVille. And the LeSabre is just a slightly smaller Park Ave. But no supercharger for Lesabre.

Another very nice luxurious buick is the riviera. It's just a coupe but a very unique interior design. Same supercharged engine as park ave. I'd look at the mid to late 90's for those 3. Can find them for some decent deals.

Devillethrill
09-24-12, 12:42 AM
thanks truck! i will definitly look at them, but i like more 2000 models

Cadillac Kid03
09-24-12, 01:18 AM
I 2nd looking for a Buick LeSabre limited or Park Ave ultra. The Ultra is supercharged. Pretty quick for such a large front wheel drive, V6 boat. Something like 240 hp outa the super charged 3800 V6. And very luxurious. Very roomy. Great on a budget. In my opinion kind of a "poor mans" DeVille. And the LeSabre is just a slightly smaller Park Ave. But no supercharger for Lesabre.

Another very nice luxurious buick is the riviera. It's just a coupe but a very unique interior design. Same supercharged engine as park ave. I'd look at the mid to late 90's for those 3. Can find them for some decent deals.I can say the 3800 is a very good motor has some kick for a V6. And has some good upgrades for it unlike our N*'s. Try a Monte carlo there pretty nice cars.

truckinman
09-24-12, 01:24 AM
thanks truck! i will definitly look at them, but i like more 2000 models

The Lesabre and park ave are still a very good purchase post 2000 as well. The riv, tho, ended in 98 I believe. 98 or 99. Another good fun and fairly luxurious buck from like 03 or so is the Regal GS. I believe the GS was the supercharged model. It's exact same car as the century but kind of a more sporty version. Check out all the buick models. You can find most of them pretty loaded up for that luxury feel. And they arent as expensive to maintain as the Cadillacs. But still very nice cars. Trying to think of other 2000 and up GMs that were luxury cars for good values.

There's the Oldsmobile Aurora. That was their flagship when it was made. I'm not sure about their reliability tho. They had a 4.0 V8 engine. Pretty luxurious feeling interior. But, like I said, I'm unsure how reliable the 4.0 was.

truckinman
09-24-12, 01:31 AM
I can say the 3800 is a very good motor has some kick for a V6. And has some good upgrades for it unlike our N*'s. Try a Monte carlo there pretty nice cars.

The montes are very nice. My buddy had a 95 Z-34 Monte. That was only the 3.4 in 95 but very nice leather seats. Lots of fun to drive. Only had 200 hp but plenty quick. I believe, was it 98 or 99 that they started putting the 3800 in it and started calling it the SS? I know they did it for last year or two of the first gen front wheel drive Monte.

Cadillac Kid03
09-24-12, 03:16 AM
The montes are very nice. My buddy had a 95 Z-34 Monte. That was only the 3.4 in 95 but very nice leather seats. Lots of fun to drive. Only had 200 hp but plenty quick. I believe, was it 98 or 99 that they started putting the 3800 in it and started calling it the SS? I know they did it for last year or two of the first gen front wheel drive Monte.My Mothers 01 Monte SS has the 3800 so that's how know about it but i can't recall what year they put it in the Monte's. You can easy make 300hp with aftermarket parts so i would say yea pretty good car. The leather in the 01 suck there hard and really not to comfy. plus not a car for bigger guys i hit my head in it everytime i drive it.

oldcaddybuyer
09-24-12, 03:40 AM
The Lesabre and park ave are still a very good purchase post 2000 as well. The riv, tho, ended in 98 I believe. 98 or 99. Another good fun and fairly luxurious buck from like 03 or so is the Regal GS. I believe the GS was the supercharged model. It's exact same car as the century but kind of a more sporty version. Check out all the buick models. You can find most of them pretty loaded up for that luxury feel. And they arent as expensive to maintain as the Cadillacs. But still very nice cars. Trying to think of other 2000 and up GMs that were luxury cars for good values.

There's the Oldsmobile Aurora. That was their flagship when it was made. I'm not sure about their reliability tho. They had a 4.0 V8 engine. Pretty luxurious feeling interior. But, like I said, I'm unsure how reliable the 4.0 was.

My first gen 99 Aurora was great. Never had any issues with the 4.0. Traded it at 183k. The second gen Aurora 3.5 or 4.0 would be a good buy or an Intrigue. Perhaps a Bonneville but its more sport interior than luxury. I had a 93 SSE I traded in for the Aurora with 195k. It had the 3800. The last few years had the GXP with NHP. I imagine Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs are affordable since they are now defunct.

CadillacLuke24
09-24-12, 03:46 AM
My Mothers 01 Monte SS has the 3800 so that's how know about it but i can't recall what year they put it in the Monte's. You can easy make 300hp with aftermarket parts so i would say yea pretty good car. The leather in the 01 suck there hard and really not to comfy. plus not a car for bigger guys i hit my head in it everytime i drive it.

Really? Damn, I think I'll go ahead and get that Jeff Gordon Monter Carlo I've always wanted. :rolleyes:

truckinman
09-24-12, 03:51 AM
Yea the intrigues were nice cars. Those 3.5s had a decent amount of power too. 215 hp if not mistaken. And the bons were also nice. I likes the second from last generation Bon more than the last gen. The interiors were nicer in last gen tho. Just never liked that newer style much

truckinman
09-24-12, 04:35 AM
Really? Damn, I think I'll go ahead and get that Jeff Gordon Monter Carlo I've always wanted. :rolleyes:

Hell that Gordon Monte is already super charged with 240 hp. Lol. I wouldnt mind an 06 or newer. With the 5.3, 303 hp V8. That'd be nice :-)

brandondeleo
09-24-12, 04:54 AM
Deleted

truckinman
09-24-12, 04:56 AM
Or is the Gordon one the latest gen with the 5.3? And the Dale Earnhardt is maybe the 3800 super charged. I think that's the case

CadillacLuke24
09-24-12, 01:37 PM
The nascar ones (Earnhardt Sr., Jr., Tony Stewart, and Jeff) were all 3800 SS cars. The Sr. Intimidator and the Stewart model, as well as a newer Jr. one were supercharged at some point. As far as I know, they never made a supercharged JG monte. Maybe they did, I'm not sure. Hey, if they did, I'm that much closer!

Edit: The Dale Earnhardt came out in 2002 with a NA 3800.
The awesome Jeff Gordon edition was a 2003 model with a NA 3800
Junior's was an 04 with a S/C 3800.
There was an Intimidator SS, 04, with a S/C 3800.
Tony's was in 2005 with a S/C 3800.

What I should do is find a wrecker JG SS and rebuild it so it can hold an old SB2 from Hendric :D. THAT would be a true JG SS.

That or what I really want is one of Jeff's actual cars. They occasionally sell those, and one went at Barrett Jackson for a few hundred thou. Hey, justification for higher education!!

Devillethrill
09-25-12, 01:28 AM
okay thanks i will check it out

Aron9000
09-25-12, 09:58 AM
I bought this for $650 . . . .

Ran like a freaking top with 151k on the odometer. Zero rust, but the clutch was slipping badly and the brakes were "marginal". It had a brand new tires, new wiper blades, and a new battery for that price, plus a damn nice bench seat that wasn't ripped/sagging/worn. Heat will straight up run you out as well, all the a/c parts are there, but it doesn't work.

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/34732339539.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=339539)

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/34732339540.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=339540)

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/34732339538.jpg (http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewgallery.php?action=viewimg&id=339538)

I have about $1700 in this truck including that $650 purchase price, it has a new clutch, new rear seal on the tranny, all new belts, new hood, new hood latch, new hood hinges, new front bumper, new spark plugs, new wires, new dis cap, new front brake pads, turned rotors, and four new speakers with the existing aftermarket tape deck. Odometer is now at 164k, and I would honestly trust it to drive all the way to California in this shitbox. All the weatherstripping is in great shape, its quiet at cruise, rides nice, and I can play my MP3's/streaming music through the circa 1993 aftermarket tape deck with the adapter.

Aron9000
09-25-12, 10:10 AM
To the OP, you can buy a shitty, but very solid/reliable truck or car if you look hard enough. The $650 price was a damn steal, a friend of mine that was moving out of state sold me his old truck needing some work, but I could see beyond the body damage. It was a great running truck with ZERO rust, and a fairly nice interior/seat. The best part is that it gets 25-27mpg on regular gas, with the 5 speed manual. Its a great truck, even loaded with 1000lb in the bed its not too bad, but I will say do not ever tow with this little ass truck. A 1500lb little cube shaped U-Haul trailer is a challenge to maintain 65mph going uphill.

Devillethrill
09-25-12, 02:12 PM
wow... now that seems legit, joking, but yeah as long as it gets you there.
depends on your needs too

talismandave
09-25-12, 07:17 PM
When you are 25 and in a deep hole it is easy to confuse needs and desires.

You need to first stop the bleeding, then save up a good down payment on something, and then when you find it, don't finance it for more than two (If very new/low miles maybe three) years at most. If you can't afford the payments at 24 months, you can't afford the car.

The only exception to that is if you have the money set aside to pay off the loan if need be, then finance as long as you like. If you do this you a very likely to never be upside down in a car again. (Owing more than it is worth.)

Devillethrill
09-26-12, 12:12 AM
i will take note

talismandave
09-26-12, 02:59 AM
Hey it's a hard lesson, and I've been there myself. You get through it though, and life goes on. You come out the other side wiser. The only way to live the high life, is to wait until you can afford it and not be a slave to lenders. You seem like a sharp guy, grab an extra job and dig out! You'll be fine.:thumbsup:

truckinman
09-26-12, 03:03 AM
Hey it's a hard lesson, and I've been there myself. You get through it though, and life goes on. You come out the other side wiser. The only way to live the high life, is to wait until you can afford it and not be a slave to lenders. You seem like a sharp guy, grab an extra job and dig out! You'll be fine.:thumbsup:

I've been there myself. At 20 years old, I was in no place to buy a 32k dollar jeep at 550 a month not including insurance. But we do learn! Some times the best way to learn to make the right choices is to make the wrong ones first unfortunately.

talismandave
09-26-12, 03:33 AM
My big upside down adventure was a 1984 Pontiac Fiero S/E. I was selling Pontiacs at the time so I pre-ordered the first one we got in for myself. Every option except the sheepskin seats, automatic, and rear defogger. I had it for 9 months and then rolled it on a county trunk one night. I actually made money on it in the end. I bought it for cost, at a time when dealers were getting over sticker for them. When I totaled it they were still going for sticker, no discount. So insurance paid me more than I had in it. However, the nine months of owning a car in excess of my means was a big awakening for the rest of my life. From then on I looked for obscure old cars that were cheap and unique enough to over come their shortcomings in condition.

truckinman
09-26-12, 03:50 AM
When I had my jeep, I was only making 1300 a month. Lol. So the 550 plus full coverage....just wasn't smart. Now I make nearly 3 times that but I don't spend over 15k on a car anymore. Funny how that works. Lol.

Devillethrill
09-26-12, 11:14 AM
yeah thanks for cheering guys

cadillac kevin
09-26-12, 03:02 PM
Devillethrill,
I was wondering- with your insurance rates so high, have you had many accidents or tickets?
If so, that would explain the high insurance rate
If not, I'd shop around for insurance.

orconn
09-26-12, 04:32 PM
When my son turned 16 we checked out insurance .... to include him on our "family" (my wife and I) was an additional $6000/year (our car insurance was already $4000/year for two middle aged drivers with no accidents). Eventually he hunted around and found some insurance, when he turned 17, for $2500./year that was a California special group plan for bad drivers.

In all fairness to the insurance providers out of the 15 kids that began driving (most got new cars from their parents) 12 of them had, at least one accident, their first year of driving! (Didn't make any difference "A" student of run of the mill student they still found something to be involved in an accident with)

Devillethrill
09-26-12, 07:36 PM
no accidents nothing only problem is my car is maxed insured by banks request because they want insurance to pay out car in fear that i won't pay

truckinman
09-26-12, 10:58 PM
no accidents nothing only problem is my car is maxed insured by banks request because they want insurance to pay out car in fear that i won't pay

Besides making sure you have full coverage, the dealer can't do anything about the terms of that full coverage. Like deductible amount, whether or not ur insurance pays for a rental car, things like that, which is what adds up. If your deductible is any less than 500, I'd have it changed to 500. Anything less, for someone your age, will really jack up the premium.

But other than having full coverage, a dealer doesn't care what the details are, necessarily. And there are cheaper ways to have full coverage. Especially with a car like your Kia rio

truckinman
09-26-12, 10:59 PM
Another thing, did you get the gap insurance on that car? That would have been thru the dealer btw, nor your insurance company

Devillethrill
09-27-12, 01:05 AM
i did get gap insurance i get brand new car if i trash it

truckinman
09-27-12, 01:27 AM
i did get gap insurance i get brand new car if i trash it

That's not what gap insurance is for. At least not the gap I'm familiar with. The gap I've always gotten simply pays off the difference if your insurance Co doesn't give you what you owe on the car. That way you aren't paying on a car you can no longer drive.

Aron9000
09-27-12, 01:52 AM
When my son turned 16 we checked out insurance .... to include him on our "family" (my wife and I) was an additional $6000/year (our car insurance was already $4000/year for two middle aged drivers with no accidents). Eventually he hunted around and found some insurance, when he turned 17, for $2500./year that was a California special group plan for bad drivers.

In all fairness to the insurance providers out of the 15 kids that began driving (most got new cars from their parents) 12 of them had, at least one accident, their first year of driving! (Didn't make any difference "A" student of run of the mill student they still found something to be involved in an accident with)

I don't remember insurance being that big of a deal for our family when me or my sister turned 16. I think dad had me as the primary driver with no collision on mom's old car, a 10 year old Buick Regal with like 170k miles.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 12:04 AM
anyways atill searching for car now its either a kia amanti or a 2007 chrysler 300 touring

cadillac kevin
09-28-12, 01:50 AM
get a cheap reliable car and get it over with. buying a car you CAN NOT AFFORD (07 chrysler) simply because you think it will improve your "status" is a really stupid idea. It is a great way to end up in debt for a long time though.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 01:59 AM
why can i not afford it i trade in my sh*tty small rio that i am all cramped up in and get the 07 chrysler everything is cheaper on the 300 except gas and at least i will be happier paying 600 a month for a good car that fits me than a bias rio who costs me 632 a month

talismandave
09-28-12, 02:46 AM
Can you swing the payment at 30 month loan? Any more than that and you will be in trouble yet. Does that leave you $30 a month to set aside for when you need repairs, or are you all the way at that? Otherwise the option of buying a 1000.00 car and switching the licence to it should leave you free to carry very inexpensive insurance on a car not being driven and still make the bank happy. Minimal coverage on your beater should cost you much less per month. Double up on the car payment and bank some cash for a down payment in a year on a good car. With the Kia paid down for a year you could sell it out right and not take the beating you will get trading it in.

That will stop the bleeding. Changing the bandage from one arm to the other will not.

truckinman
09-28-12, 02:59 AM
why can i not afford it i trade in my sh*tty small rio that i am all cramped up in and get the 07 chrysler everything is cheaper on the 300 except gas and at least i will be happier paying 600 a month for a good car that fits me than a bias rio who costs me 632 a month

I STILL can't figure out your insurance situation. The Rio should be dirt cheap with full coverage if you really have a clean record, and a 300 Touring shouldn't be hardly any increase either. The touring is only a V6. No hemi to make an insurance Co nervous. Parts aren't expensive.

But, you did come on here for our experienced advice. Buy an older practical car. If the rio is to cramped, buy a 2003 chevy impala, or 02 dodge intrepid. I wish I'd listened to my friends advice when I was your age and I bought the brand new 32k jeep.

To be honest, I'd stay away from chryslers. They don't have great track records with transmissions. Honestly, a good reliable, and better sized car for you would be more like a 2002 campy or Nissan altima or maxima. You're going to want something reliable yet old enough to be affordable which honestly means no warranty most likely

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 11:58 AM
yeah i hear you guys the problem is, no bank here wants to lend a loan on a car lower than 2005 so i am F*ked both ways. stuck making payements until the end, so i taught mind as well have a car i like in that situation

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 12:02 PM
my situation... my car is secured by bank, it's not mine. I can not change it unless a dealership pays my loan fully, and opens a new one, but no bank wants to open a new loan on an older car without gaining money. i am F*uked

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 12:06 PM
and besides yes i will probably make repairs on 300 but the kia too is coming up it's at 100 000 and a dealship already got me a 700 garage bill with timing belt wich is 330 $ so not so cheap on repairs either hey ?

truckinman
09-28-12, 01:26 PM
and besides yes i will probably make repairs on 300 but the kia too is coming up it's at 100 000 and a dealship already got me a 700 garage bill with timing belt wich is 330 $ so not so cheap on repairs either hey ?

700 bucks on the Kia is a lot cheaper than a tranny rebuild or torque converter on the 300. Just saying. A timing belt replacement is just normal wear n tear. Which is why it's part of a 100k mile tune up, which tune ups aren't usually covered under warranty. That is a "to be expected" repair from the day you buy it. Just like tires, or to a smaller scale, light bulbs. Any car with a timing belt needs that done. The belts stretch and crack over time, just like the visible serpentine belt.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the 300 has a timing chain, which if goes bad, is a LOT more than the belt. That's what our Cadillacs have. They can run upwards of about 1500 to replace. So as I suggested before, if you really can't stand your Kia, buy a toyota or Honda or Nissan. Something along those lines. Even a civic would have more room than your rio. But, any of the three I mentioned will be a lot more reliable than a 300. You could easily find an 05 and newer for I'm sure the same, and lower, price that you're looking at with the 300. They would also have a much better resale value, and seeing as how you're prob going to be top heavy after trading off the Kia, it would make more financial sense to buy a car that you can get more out of later down the road.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 01:46 PM
yeah i am in a sh*t hole

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 01:53 PM
the chrysler i've seen has a timing belt

truckinman
09-28-12, 02:00 PM
yeah i am in a sh*t hole

You'll be fine brother! Just gotta think ahead. And once you find yourself in a hole, put down the shovel. Lol. trust me I've been there! I know the feeling. It's notta fun feeling, but it'll be a lot more manageable when you plan ahead. And realize, the way outa debt is not to finance more money! Pay some more of this rio off until you can sell it and make a few bucks off the sale. That way, if you really want a different car, you won't be top heavy on the loan. That's how bankruptcy starts.

And shop around for a new insurance Co. Lol

truckinman
09-28-12, 02:02 PM
the chrysler i've seen has a timing belt

Ok. Well I was mistaken about that. Either way, I hope you heed the advice we've all given and don't take is in an insulting way. Take it in a positively constructive way.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 02:07 PM
yeah it sucks, i hate my car so much. all i see on the roads now is the cars i wanted to buy and everyone who drives them is like '' ohh yeah you missing out totally, reliable car can't belive you pay 630 a month for that piece of sh*t you got raped in the azz with no lube for that rio man this depresses me

cadillac kevin
09-28-12, 02:26 PM
yeah it sucks, i hate my car so much. all i see on the roads now is the cars i wanted to buy and everyone who drives them is like '' ohh yeah you missing out totally, reliable car can't belive you pay 630 a month for that piece of sh*t you got raped in the azz with no lube for that rio man this depresses me

I'm sure it sucks. The best thing you can do is pay it off and sell it for something you actually want. Buying another car and rolling the balance of the rio on it is not a smart decision though. My uncle did that. He bought a new hyundai when they first came stateside, and when it disintegrated (poorly made car+ rust belt+ 20 something y/o driver= bad idea), he still had to pay on a car that he didn't have anymore. He was over his head on his cars (kept having to roll the balance of one car onto the next) until he was in his late 40s, all because of one bad decision when he was 20.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 02:43 PM
haha i guess it won't be my problem anymore the bank called me to say the 2007 chrysler 300 is too old to balance loan hahaha i am f*cked deep if 2007 is to old than what next ? i guess they really want me to buy a new car and add another 15 000 to my loan f*ck em i will not drive my car anymore cancel 380 insurance a month and take bike for work i aint gonna pay 630 month for a car i Hate and causes me back pain cause seat is so bias

truckinman
09-28-12, 02:52 PM
haha i guess it won't be my problem anymore the bank called me to say the 2007 chrysler 300 is too old to balance loan hahaha i am f*cked deep if 2007 is to old than what next ? i guess they really want me to buy a new car and add another 15 000 to my loan f*ck em i will not drive my car anymore cancel 380 insurance a month and take bike for work i aint gonna pay 630 month for a car i Hate and causes me back pain cause seat is so bias

Do not take your insurance off your car. It's illegal to do so if you've got an out standing loan on it. Even if you don't drive it doesnt mean something can't happen. I'm sure you signed papers when you took out the loan stating it would be insured full coverage till the day it's paid off. That not only covers you, but it covers the banks rear as well. They gave you that loan in trust you'd keep up your end of the bargain. It's all law abiding.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 02:54 PM
omg i am so f*cked...

cadillac kevin
09-28-12, 02:56 PM

You can't cancel the insurance. Bank won't let you since it's still "their" car.

truckinman
09-28-12, 02:57 PM
Look for cheaper insurance. I can't say that enough. You are being hosed on your premium. You shouldn't have to pay more than 120 a month if you find the correct insurance Co.

Aron9000
09-28-12, 07:14 PM
Look for cheaper insurance. I can't say that enough. You are being hosed on your premium. You shouldn't have to pay more than 120 a month if you find the correct insurance Co.

YES!!! I told him that a few pages back as well.

Devillethrill
09-28-12, 07:52 PM
yeah, i will look for cheaper insurance. Have no choice being stuck in this situation, thanks guys

77CDV
09-30-12, 12:12 AM
I still say let the car get repo'd and take the short term credit hit. Then you don't have to worry about payments or insurance, and you still have your bike for transportation (though that can't be fun in Canada in winter).

Devillethrill
09-30-12, 12:59 AM
I still say let the car get repo'd and take the short term credit hit. Then you don't have to worry about payments or insurance, and you still have your bike for transportation (though that can't be fun in Canada in winter).

hahaha! yeah bike in canada's winter, no way. I will find something hopefully, not to expensive to repair, but better then what i have, might take a while, even years.

cadillac kevin
09-30-12, 01:04 AM
I think you can actually surrender your car, which will hurt your credit less than having it repo'ed.

talismandave
09-30-12, 01:32 AM
:yeah:
With the 600/month you are spending in 5 months you could have enough to buy a decent car, that you wouldn't need full insurance on and still keep putting 300/month away for repairs and a better car in a year. At that point you can sell your car outright,(the way to get the most for it) and buy a better car from a private party.(the way to get it cheapest)

On a typical car deal those two things will save you from $1,000-$3000. Owning your cars outright will save you about 60-75% until you trade up enough to have something worth enough you need to carry collision. Trading up every year you also will avoid a lot of repair costs.

That was what I did when I was 26-29. My second full time job was delivering pizza. I would buy cars with about 100,000 miles on them and run them up to about 125,000 in 6 months and resell them for what I bought them for. If I bought wisely, I very seldom had to do anything but oil and gas. I drove free, used the free car to make money, and had a different car twice a year!

Doing all that was how I bought my first rental property. I was never embarrassed by my old beat up cars when I drove them to the bank with a rent check to deposit.

But :arghh:...do whatever you "need" to do, I am done:horse:
It is your choice, look like you have money, or have money.:banghead::closed:

Devillethrill
09-30-12, 01:13 PM
yeah i will do semilar as you said