: Whats everyone using to get rid of waterspots?

howanicm
09-21-12, 05:05 PM
I recently got some bad spots on my car. Cant figure out where they came from but i cant get them off. I was curious if anyone had any tips or tricks?

FuzzyLogic
09-21-12, 06:17 PM
I recently got some bad spots on my car. Cant figure out where they came from but i cant get them off. I was curious if anyone had any tips or tricks?

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is probably the least invasive product I can think of.

tophat
09-21-12, 06:33 PM
I use Malms ultra fine polishing cleaner along with their pure carnauba wax. Its pricey and only available online but the best cleaner and wax I've ever used. Groits also makes some really good product that is a little less pricey that could take water spots off without doing damage to the paint. Im picky on my waxes and pretty much stay with those two.

howanicm
09-21-12, 06:50 PM
Do you guys hand buff use a machine? I guess that meguires compound would get rid of swirls as well right?

FuzzyLogic
09-21-12, 07:56 PM
Do you guys hand buff use a machine? I guess that meguires compound would get rid of swirls as well right?

Everyone that I know uses the Porter Cable 7424XP random orbital buffer:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

JDB
09-21-12, 08:24 PM
Everyone that I know uses the Porter Cable 7424XP random orbital buffer:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46

That's what I use with Menzerna products and pads from www.DetailersDomain.com

Search Junkman on YouTube for techniques.

howanicm
09-21-12, 09:42 PM
Wow thanks for that heads up on junkman. He has alot of good info once you get past all of his talking haha. I have a cheap random orbital buffer from walmart. It works ok but have been meaning to get a higher speed one. I have been fighting swirls for such a long time looks like i need a foam gun too haha. Thanks again for all the tips guys. I appreciate it.

kciaccio
09-21-12, 10:19 PM
quick detaler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHNKpQZBpY

Aurora40
09-22-12, 04:06 PM
If the spots are etched into the paint, you will need a polish to remove them (and any other paint higher than them). But you might try some vinegar/water to see if it's just mineral deposits. If you are lucky, they will wipe off and you won't have to polish the paint.

howanicm
09-22-12, 09:51 PM
I think its etched because i tried to wipe off with some spray detail real quick but didnt do anything

Junior1
09-23-12, 08:42 PM
I use Griot's Garage products with good results. Probably need to clay bar or machine polish out and follow up with best-of-show wax and then speed shine detailer

Technikal
09-23-12, 09:42 PM
First try a clay bar. if the clay bar doesn't work you have 2 options. 1 rubbing compound lots of elbow grease or a buffer.
2. Much much faster, much much scarier. Wheel cleaning acid. spray on rub on with sponge and rinse off. then wash and wax.

howanicm
09-23-12, 10:15 PM
I have heard of wheel acid but have always been scared haha.

Stepside
09-28-12, 09:21 AM
I made the mistake of washing my car with the outside fawcet. It is not hooked up thru the water softener.
We have 23 grains of hardness to our water.
I realized it when I saw the spots and got them off before the calcium deposits fully dried & hardened.
Now I make sure i use soft water. Most 'Wash&Wax' have softening agents in them,
but using soft water helps even more to reduce spoting.

Aurora40
09-30-12, 12:38 PM
I believe wheel cleaner acid simply dissolves the mineral deposits. Vinegar is a mild acid too, and extremely unlikely to harm anything except your nose. Quick detailer likely won't remove deposits.

mackey
10-16-12, 01:18 PM
claybar first, then try compound and/or polish.

clay is a mild abrasive and if you catch the spots quick enough, should take the etching off.

junkman also has a video or 2 on bird droppings and bug guts which is the same technique for heavy water spots

DarkCharisma
10-23-12, 08:47 AM
I use vinegar mixed into my wash bucket. Seems to work great, and costs all of $3 for a gallon of it.

sgtdestruction
10-27-12, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Zb59qO058

Technikal
10-31-12, 11:38 PM
I never thought of vinegar. I would assume you would use white same process same as cleaning out a coffee pot.

FoD
11-02-12, 10:11 AM
I have water spots on my mirrors and back windshield. Cannot get it to come off with any cleaner. Tried vinegar, nothing.

stevemel
11-27-12, 11:53 PM
Zano Bros. Z-12 Glass Polish worked for me. Apply like a wax, let dry and remove with a dry towel and water spots are gone.

Skidmarcx
11-28-12, 11:05 PM
I just did mine with CeriGlass cost me $20 for the kit and well worth it