: VATS module failure?

moosejr
09-21-12, 03:23 PM
I recently went through the whole process of replacing the actuator rack in my steering column, along with having to replace the lock cylinder because one of the wires broke. I got that all done, got the new key made with the right resistor, all that is good. Now, it will not engage the starter. I keeps coming up with the error indicating the security system is disabled because of the key. I verified the resistance in the new key is the same as the old key. I verified that I am getting connectivity through the key at the lock cylinder. Everything is good, except it will NOT engage the starter. Is it possibly the control module that runs the security system? Any ideas? I REALLY need to get this card back usable!
Thanks,

1989 Cadillac Allante

D Yaros
09-22-12, 04:19 PM
Since you worked on the column, I would be looking at all the connections there.

moosejr
09-25-12, 11:22 PM
I have verified all the connections under the dash and in the column, ..everything is good. Is there any way to bypass the controller to verify that the controller actually is the problem?

Thanks

carnut
10-21-12, 04:37 PM
Are you getting the "wait' message? Are we sure its not a starter/ battery issue? do we have voltage at the starter?

Toiuys
12-12-12, 11:42 AM
Does it crank and no start or no crank?
Fuel pump run? Spray as shot of starting fluid into intake, if it starts momentarily, then gin is okay and no fuel delivery.
If no spark and no injector pulse, look for a missing dist reference to PCM.

moosejr
09-24-13, 12:11 AM
I resolved this problem by locating a module that actually bypasses the Theft Deterrent Module that runs the VATS system. This is something it sounds like people should be aware of because in my research it is fairly common. Newrockies (www.newrockies.com) makes a replacement module that bypasses the entire theft system. By the way, this is not an endorsement, I get nothing from them. I am providing this information only as a public service.