: C.U.E Tips, Shortcuts and Advise

AtlantaGuy00
09-21-12, 12:39 AM
Started Learning cue today. It's nice but it isn't as intuitive as I'd like it to be. I had to read the manual and even call the helpline (which was very helpful) to unpare a phone...

I have have learned to pare my android phone and make calls, but can't get it or my iPod to play music. I did get Pandora working and the car has a cd player. The music sounds GREAT!

I even had to read the manual to learn how to check oil life and tire pressure. I'll have it all figured out soon, but again you're not gonna figure it out w/o the book.

On my own it took me 15 mins. To find the xm scrolling menu.

The voice command works GREAT!

Now if I could get my garage door opener programmed...

I love the car, but thought it was time to start a C.U.E. Thread

Atswatcher
09-21-12, 10:18 AM
I take it you did not get a free iPad?

A salesperson showed me the CUE on an XTS, he could not do it smoothly. I thought there would be some learning curve.

Fraggy
09-21-12, 10:33 AM
I took an easy test drive yesterday, and sadly CUE was really slow. Definitely needs more power.

AtlantaGuy00
09-21-12, 12:42 PM
Actually, yes I did get the iPad but it's still in the box. I thought it would be better for me to practice on the real thing. You definately have to learn it while it's parked, you could never do it while driving espicially since some option become greyed out while the car is in motion. Mostly I have it all figured out, so it's not hard but it just takes more time than you would think. I've got the basics but just need to figure out how to connect my external music devices. Until then, the CD player is easy enough!

gort
09-21-12, 01:10 PM
That reminds me of the one thing I hated about my cadillacs. I never understood why only certain auto makers disable input while the car is moving. As if you never have a passenger who could be perfectly capable of entering stuff into the GPS while you're moving.

investor74
09-21-12, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you are having fun with your ATS. Atlanta Guy!

Here is a Car and Driver video review that features the Thunder Gray Cromaflair at the beginning. I'm not normally a fan of paying extra for a color, but this looks amazing!

You are going to turn heads on Peachtree Street with this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnJLjDJTWkY

JimmyH
09-21-12, 02:37 PM
there is gonna be a cue Q&A

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/community-lounge-introductions-general-discussion/270321-who-wants-participate-cadillac-discussion.html

bruff1977
09-21-12, 03:38 PM
Got behind the wheel of a 3.6 Luxury yesterday... Amazing drive. The 3.6 has plenty of power... But I'll still wait for a V. :-) I was amazed by CUE! Not buggy, and I paired my iPhone 4 effortlessly. Unpairing/deletion took two tries to completely delete my phone contacts. Didn't try doing anything else. I'll try once I get behind a 2.0T. The dealership in Fredericksburg, VA also had an iPad in the showroom to play with CUE. Too bad you can't download the app on your own to get accustomed to it before you purchase.

gort
09-21-12, 03:53 PM
Got behind the wheel of a 3.6 Luxury yesterday... Amazing drive. The 3.6 has plenty of power... But I'll still wait for a V. :-) I was amazed by CUE! Not buggy, and I paired my iPhone 4 effortlessly. Unpairing/deletion took two tries to completely delete my phone contacts. Didn't try doing anything else. I'll try once I get behind a 2.0T. The delaership in Fredericksburg, VA also had an iPad in the showroom to play with CUE. Too bad you can't download tha app on your own to get accustomed to it before you purchase.

A search for Cadillac on the app store on my iPad just now shows a Cadillac CUE app.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cadillac-cue/id508883621?mt=8

JimmyH
09-21-12, 05:19 PM
I would think the apps would have to be on itunes for them to be put on an ipad, even preloaded.

RippyPartsDept
09-21-12, 05:44 PM
Yes, anyone with an iPad can try out CUE

holzheuer
09-21-12, 06:54 PM
When did you get the Ipad. I picked my car up this week and had no mention of an I-pad so did the dealer give it to you or did GM mail it as I have seen posts suggesting both. Love the car and the CUE isnt to bad to work with but I haven't had alot of time with it yet. Garage door this weekend.

AtlantaGuy00
09-23-12, 10:00 PM
I received the iPad in person the day I took delivery of the car. It was given to me with the owners manual, keys and a nice Cadillac microfiber clolth to clean the CUE screen with. BTW I finally was able to connect my (very old) ipod and control it with CUE on screen, but it can't find anything with voice commands. I don't know what I was doing wrong before because I plugged it in and it's working (mostly) now. Now if I could just get homelink to learn my (very old) garage door remote...

AtlantaGuy00
09-24-12, 10:09 PM
A couple more things about C.U.E. that I'm learning... One is that it is slower than you would expect, but you just have to become used to the cadence of it and allow yourself to pause a momment. For example, the voice command feature works great, but you have to learn to wait to speak the command. It's just a slight pause. Same with the touch inputs. And, I have had more success with music from the SD card than the iPod. I just loaded a bunch on a card and popped it in and it sounds great, and from the card C.U.E. can understand voice commands in order to find music. It getting better the more I live with it.

bmw2caddy
09-28-12, 05:30 AM
I received the iPad in person the day I took delivery of the car. It was given to me with the owners manual, keys and a nice Cadillac microfiber clolth to clean the CUE screen with. BTW I finally was able to connect my (very old) ipod and control it with CUE on screen, but it can't find anything with voice commands. I don't know what I was doing wrong before because I plugged it in and it's working (mostly) now. Now if I could just get homelink to learn my (very old) garage door remote...

Just curious, was the iPad engraved at all I think I remember reading somewhere on here that it was engraved or maybe it was a cadillac case…anywho it just crossed my mind. Obviously it makes no difference in the decision process of purchasing the car. Thanks again ATLGuy hope you're still enjoying the ride!

AtlantaGuy00
09-28-12, 12:57 PM
The iPad comes in a nice quality black box with the Cadillac emblem in silver on the lid. Inside the box is the regular iPad box. The iPad itself is a 16GB Wi Fi newest iPad. The screen's wallpaper is customized for Cadillac. It has a gray Cadillac magnetic screen cover. It's all top drawer and very nice. I just took it out of the box today so that I can start my advanced C.U.E. lessons and see if I can learn anything more that I haven't already figured out. The iPad comes loaded with CUE tutorials, videos and OnStar's Mobile app. (which I can't get to work.... yet). I took pics but they are too large to mail and not that great anyway.

AtlantaGuy00
09-28-12, 05:06 PM
I called OnStar and there was an account setting that had to be enabled. The mobile app. works now. I can start/ stop the car/ honk horn/ check fuel and tire levels, etc. You can also send directions to the Nav system but the reviews here suck because they use Bing for directions and Bing sucks. Otherwise, the app works great. To enable the setting in OnStar, log into your account. Go to OnStar Services/ OnStar Remote Link Mobile App/click on the manage tab/Enable OnStar Remote Link Mobile App.

gohawks63
09-28-12, 11:55 PM
I called OnStar and there was an account setting that had to be enabled. The mobile app. works now. I can start/ stop the car/ honk horn/ check fuel and tire levels, etc. You can also send directions to the Nav system but the reviews here suck because they use Bing for directions and Bing sucks. Otherwise, the app works great. To enable the setting in OnStar, log into your account. Go to OnStar Services/ OnStar Remote Link Mobile App/click on the manage tab/Enable OnStar Remote Link Mobile App.

I was use the feature t send directions to my nav on my CtS coupe and it worked great.

JimmyH
09-29-12, 03:50 PM
When I still had Onstar, I was able to send destinations to my account from Mapquest.

danscrim
10-30-12, 03:24 PM
So I've had my ATS for about a week now and absolutely love the car. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to loving/hating CUE. One of the issues I'm having is with the voice control. It just doesn't seem to be working. I know my phone is synced up because I can listen to music from it, see my recent calls, browse contacts, etc. However it will never find any contacts that I speak to it. No idea why. It will either guess that I'm saying a number or it will say "no speech detected." Other functions seem to be working fine though. Anyone else have this issue?

Cadillac Tony
10-30-12, 06:49 PM
After you press the talk button on the steering wheel, make sure you wait for the beep before speaking.

The car will say "Say a command, or say help" ...pause.... "beep"! After that beep, say "Call Bob Smith". The car should respond "Call Bob Smith, is that correct?....beep"! After that beep, say "yes".

Out of curiosity, what kind of phone are you using?

danscrim
10-30-12, 07:12 PM
After you press the talk button on the steering wheel, make sure you wait for the beep before speaking.

The car will say "Say a command, or say help" ...pause.... "beep"! After that beep, say "Call Bob Smith". The car should respond "Call Bob Smith, is that correct?....beep"! After that beep, say "yes".

Out of curiosity, what kind of phone are you using?

I definitely am waiting for the beep... I'm not sure what the issue is. What is weird is that I tried to call the same person on the day I got the car (it worked) but every time since then it hasn't.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android ICS.

Cadillac Tony
10-30-12, 07:32 PM
I definitely am waiting for the beep... I'm not sure what the issue is. What is weird is that I tried to call the same person on the day I got the car (it worked) but every time since then it hasn't.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Android ICS.

That certainly is weird. It's possible that the answer is something simple, such as the microphone not being firmly connected or defective. If you have a moment, try using other voice commands such as "Siriusly Sinatra, XM" or "107.7 FM", making sure to wait for the beep before speaking.

If these simple radio commands fail to work, my guess is that there's an easily correctable issue with your microphone. Try that out and report back if you don't mind.

danscrim
10-30-12, 10:42 PM
That certainly is weird. It's possible that the answer is something simple, such as the microphone not being firmly connected or defective. If you have a moment, try using other voice commands such as "Siriusly Sinatra, XM" or "107.7 FM", making sure to wait for the beep before speaking.

If these simple radio commands fail to work, my guess is that there's an easily correctable issue with your microphone. Try that out and report back if you don't mind.

Just checked and both the radio commands work perfectly. It's like when it gets into the phone commands it just blows up and stops working. Really weird. I even tried to call a person named "Adam Clark" and "Home" thinking an easy name to pronounce might help... still nothing. It just says "pardon" a couple times. Then it'll go into the phone menu and give me more specific directions. Then it'll finally say "No speech detected" and exit the whole thing. Very weird.

stlxts
10-30-12, 11:40 PM
Same problem here with my Android phone. Can't voice call contacts on phone. Add contact to vehicle contact list and call is made. Cadillac cue has no answer. They tried to help but so far nothing. Anyone with Android with ice creme sandwich able to voice dial from phone contract list.

Cadillac Tony
10-31-12, 09:42 AM
Same problem here with my Android phone. Can't voice call contacts on phone. Add contact to vehicle contact list and call is made. Cadillac cue has no answer. They tried to help but so far nothing. Anyone with Android with ice creme sandwich able to voice dial from phone contract list.

That may be the problem right there- you may have changed the contact list from "your device" to "vehicle", so CUE is not looking in your phone for the contact you're speaking.

When you go into CUE's phone menu and press the "contacts" tab at the bottom of the screen, look over on the right side of the CUE screen and you'll see a button to "change contact source". If it is currently set to "Vehicle contacts", then voice commands will only be able to access the contacts you've manually stored in the CUE system (not over Bluetooth). Press the "change contact source" and then switch back to your Bluetooth device. You should then be able to scroll through all your phone's contacts on the CUE screen, and voice dialing should begin working correctly.

Android phones also require that you give permission for outside devices to read your contacts, so make sure you go into the BT settings on your phone, press the menu hard key, and under "advanced", enable phonebook access. CUE reads the contacts when it first initializes, so if phonebook access was turned off in your phone, you'll need to shut down the car completely and restart CUE after enabling it. From then on, it should automatically load your contacts every time you get in the vehicle.

stlxts
10-31-12, 10:34 AM
Tony
Thanks for your input. I have paired the phone multiple occasions and states contacts. Contacts always show on the CUE. CUE defaults every time to Android contract list. In order to voice call a manual vehicle contract I have to change contacts to vehicle then call.

Checked CUE tonight. CUE on Android contacts which show on screen. No luck voice dial. Am I only Android with this problem.

MyfirstCad
11-06-12, 12:36 AM
Voice command calls work from my sync'd Droid Razor.

CDN XTS
12-14-12, 10:02 PM
That reminds me of the one thing I hated about my cadillacs. I never understood why only certain auto makers disable input while the car is moving. As if you never have a passenger who could be perfectly capable of entering stuff into the GPS while you're moving.

Oh no! I though my yet to be received XTS would do better. I was always mad when my wife was driving my 03 STS, that I couldn't enter an address. Well the 03 STS cannot tell if a passenger is sitting in the car. But now? Some other cars and even stand-alone GPS's (which know when you are moving but can't tell if the passenger seat is cocupied) let you do it. So, anyway, it's not the law that prevents Cadillac to be more accommodating. Yes I know I could put a weight on the passenger seat, but give me the benefit of being able to think for myself regarding safety. Please fix this.

CDN XTS
12-23-12, 08:22 PM
When did you get the Ipad. I picked my car up this week and had no mention of an I-pad so did the dealer give it to you or did GM mail it as I have seen posts suggesting both. Love the car and the CUE isnt to bad to work with but I haven't had alot of time with it yet. Garage door this weekend.

If you are in Canada, I received an e-mail from stating that GM Canada does not supply an iPad. :mad:

pever
12-24-12, 02:58 AM
Oh no! I though my yet to be received XTS would do better. I was always mad when my wife was driving my 03 STS, that I couldn't enter an address.
I did not try Navigation, but I was able to program CUE while riding as the passenger. I simply had to confirm that I was the passenger.

Dramset
12-29-12, 05:39 PM
Oh no! I though my yet to be received XTS would do better. I was always mad when my wife was driving my 03 STS, that I couldn't enter an address. Well the 03 STS cannot tell if a passenger is sitting in the car. But now? Some other cars and even stand-alone GPS's (which know when you are moving but can't tell if the passenger seat is cocupied) let you do it. So, anyway, it's not the law that prevents Cadillac to be more accommodating. Yes I know I could put a weight on the passenger seat, but give me the benefit of being able to think for myself regarding safety. Please fix this.

You can certainly enter a new nav destination using voice while the XTS is moving; I did it on a test drive.

codeman71
01-02-13, 02:08 PM
That reminds me of the one thing I hated about my Cadillacs. I never understood why only certain auto makers disable input while the car is moving. As if you never have a passenger who could be perfectly capable of entering stuff into the GPS while you're moving.

Hello Gort, I work for Cadillac on the navigation portion of CUE and it was designed to allow a passenger to input information into the system when a passenger is detected. It will ask you to confirm that the passenger is using the system and press the Accept button. Then it will let the passenger type on the keyboard, or scroll lists, or whatever may have been locked out. You have to make sure both the driver and passenger have their seat belts buckled as well, or it may not allow you to bypass the the lockouts.

CDN XTS
01-02-13, 04:17 PM
Thanks "codeman71" for your information. I'm very pleased to hear that. Have no problem with the need for a confirmation and seat-belts should be a given requirement anyway. Yes there is of course also voice control, but it's still safer with the passenger to do all what's required, even the talking, than the driver. Then the wife can't blame me if we arrive at the wrong hotel. LOL.

JimmyH
01-02-13, 04:46 PM
Then the wife can't blame me if we arrive at the wrong hotel. LOL.

You don't really believe that, do you? :D

CDN XTS
01-03-13, 04:35 PM
@JimmyH - I think you know my wife - she probably blames CUE - after all, it can't be the operator.:shhh:

JimmyH
01-04-13, 04:09 PM
I believe CUE is just like any other technology. If YOU teach HER how to use it, when SHE messes up, she will blame YOU.
Moral of the story, don't teach her. Make her learn it herself. She'll still blame you, but at least she will have one less tool in her argument.

brock123
01-05-13, 06:32 AM
Are you in Canada? Not that a $500 ipad is the difference in purchasing the car or not but it was annoying to find out after purchasing that because i am in Canada I'm not getting an ipad. Whay should it matter?

PatP19
01-06-13, 01:37 AM
iPad has a smart cover with the Cadillac logo on it. And there is a Cadillac logo "engraved" on the back of the iPad. Very nice detail.

I'm almost anxious for Summer to arrive here in Florida, so I can use the iPad or iPhone OnStar app to remote start the car to get the A/C running ahead of time. Sort of the opposite problem the folks up North have pre-heating their cars in the Winter!

Pat P.
2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury
Ice Blue Metallic
600 miles so far

JimmyH
01-06-13, 03:09 AM
My remote start consists of me running out to the car in freezing temps starting it and running back inside as fast as possible. The upshot is that it doesn't automatically shut off after 10 minutes.

Sir CussFreq
01-14-13, 01:24 PM
Hello Gort, I work for Cadillac on the navigation portion of CUE and it was designed to allow a passenger to input information into the system when a passenger is detected. It will ask you to confirm that the passenger is using the system and press the Accept button. Then it will let the passenger type on the keyboard, or scroll lists, or whatever may have been locked out. You have to make sure both the driver and passenger have their seat belts buckled as well, or it may not allow you to bypass the the lockouts.

Could you please ask them to allow passengers to do more while the car is in motion? For instance - pairing a bluetooth device. I would actually like to be able to do this as the driver, as I have to re-pair my phone once or twice a week (not sure why, for some reason it just stops automatically connecting...), but I'd be content to only have access to it when a passenger is in the car. I tend to start driving before I realize whether or not my phone is paried, so then I'm stuck with FM radio until I stop somewhere for a couple minutes and go through the pairing process again.

And not just for my phone - if I wanted to stream something off of a passenger's phone, very rarely would we have the foresight to sync their phone prior to driving away.

codeman71
01-14-13, 01:39 PM
Could you please ask them to allow passengers to do more while the car is in motion? For instance - pairing a bluetooth device.

This should actually work as well. Have you tried pairing with a passenger?

CDN XTS
01-14-13, 08:05 PM
Are you in Canada? Not that a $500 ipad is the difference in purchasing the car or not but it was annoying to find out after purchasing that because i am in Canada I'm not getting an ipad. Whay should it matter?

Not sure if you were asking me here. Anyway, I am and I know we do not get an iPad but have to pay more. That's is not just the case with cars. Not sure what we can do about it but to complain to companies and polititians and sometimes refuse buying, as I am doing with books, unless they sell it at the marked US price. LOL. (I have an iPad3 but the Caddy one would have made a nice x-mas present for my wife for her; perhaps to use it to learn CUE to follow JimmyH advice)

The other issue I couldn't understand is that US customers get their cars in a short period (any version), whereas I just today (after waiting 4 1/2 months) finally received my VIN # for my XTS Platinum. - :ill: now :) -. (don't have a delivery date yet, qouted by dealer to be from 2 to over 4 weeks - live only some 100 km from factory - so it may arrive while am am sitting on a beach in the Caribbean - but now there is a car with my name on it)

Of couse there are a few small differences between US & Canadian versions and some may be due to software updates for Canadian units perhaps not getting the same priority as for US cars. But since the Premium and Luxury versions were being delivered to Canadian customers, I not sure how much extra "software" difference would be applicable to the Platinum versions v/s the other models.

Perhaps Cody has some insights into the (potential, if any) software update delay issue between Canadian and US versions, as such could be a continues problem for Canadian Customers waiting for "fixes & added functions"

JWLaRue
01-14-13, 10:27 PM
Is there a way to set your current location as a saved destination?

-tnx,

Jeff

inspectorudy
01-14-13, 11:05 PM
Jeff, just bring up the favorites from below the screen by sliding up from the bottom of the screen and press the one to which you want to represent the new present location. Hold it down until it bumps your finger and then it is saved to that favorite spot on the list. If you then go to SETTINGS and then select the RADIO category, then MANAGE FAVORITES, you can rename it to anything you want by selecting the quill icon at the bottom with the label "Rename". After you type in the new name select BACK at the top and then push the green checked EXIT icon on the lower left of the screen. If you do not press the green exit button it will not be renamed. I had to do this to my home address because it was so far off from the actual location. You can do this anytime you see something that you might want to return to later.

codeman71
01-15-13, 10:33 AM
Perhaps Cody has some insights into the (potential, if any) software update delay issue between Canadian and US versions, as such could be a continues problem for Canadian Customers waiting for "fixes & added functions"

Hi CDN, the only software differences between the US and Canada versions (as far as CUE goes) are just disabling certain XM features that are not available (such as Weather). But as far as customers waiting for "fixes & added functions" nobody has received anything yet, so don't feel left out! And thanks for supporting us by buying a Canadian-made product and for a top-level one! I'm sure you'll love it!

----------

Is there a way to set your current location as a saved destination?

-tnx,

Jeff

Rudy's instructions are perfectly accurate, thanks Rudy! The only thing that I will add is that if you have a route currently set, if you follow that same procedure, your current destination will be saved, rather than your current position. Just to be aware of that potential difference in case you run into that.

Sir CussFreq
01-15-13, 01:23 PM
This should actually work as well. Have you tried pairing with a passenger?

I could have sworn we did... I know there was something that we thought we would have had access to, but didn't. I'll do some more testing next time I have a passenger in the car (or something heavy in the passenger seat ;)).

On a side note, is there any way to keep the information panel from displaying the 'cruise control set to' / 'resume to' in the right pane when I have cruise control enabled? This info is already displayed in my HUD, so it's redundant - and it never reverts back to the page I had previously set. Would like to just disable it altogether (I already disabled the page from the options, but that just makes it so I can't browse to the page - it still shows up whenever I turn on CC)

danscrim
01-15-13, 02:08 PM
On a side note, is there any way to keep the information panel from displaying the 'cruise control set to' / 'resume to' in the right pane when I have cruise control enabled? This info is already displayed in my HUD, so it's redundant - and it never reverts back to the page I had previously set. Would like to just disable it altogether (I already disabled the page from the options, but that just makes it so I can't browse to the page - it still shows up whenever I turn on CC)

Cody,

I echo this request. I was going to shoot you a PM about it before I saw this. I, too, have a HUD and would rather just not have that information there at all. However I can understand why you guys wouldn't want to get rid it for for the non-HUD vehicles (and it may not be easy to programmatically check if the car is equipped with a HUD, or even worse... if the HUD is displayed). If this is the case, I would be happy if that DIC section would just revert back to it's original page once cruise control is turned off.

CDN XTS
01-15-13, 08:52 PM
Hi CDN, the only software differences between the US and Canada versions (as far as CUE goes) are just disabling certain XM features that are not available (such as Weather). But as far as customers waiting for "fixes & added functions" nobody has received anything yet, so don't feel left out! And thanks for supporting us by buying a Canadian-made product and for a top-level one! I'm sure you'll love it!

Thanks "Cody" appreciate that. So a potential software issue wasn't the reason for us Canadian's to have such a long wait time. LOL. Didn't know about the weather issue with XM but believe the US customers can "turn off" daylight running lights" while (by law) Canadians cannot. Not sure if that's part of some non-CUE system. So if any of you US customers visit Canada, make sure that option on your system is turned on, to avoid a ticket. LOL.

JWLaRue
01-15-13, 09:53 PM
Thanks, Rudy. I'll give that a go.

-Jeff

katz
02-01-13, 12:29 PM
Yes, mine was engraved and had a Cadillac cover, very nice.

MotoDC
05-02-13, 08:23 PM
Hi CDN, the only software differences between the US and Canada versions (as far as CUE goes) are just disabling certain XM features that are not available (such as Weather).

Thanks for the insight codeman71, just curious if weather becomes enabled if an active SiriusXM subscription sends weather data to a Canadian vehicle? I did manage to get get traffic working, and was curious if I could get weather working too.

Thanks!