: Front bumper / fender liner mounting tab repairs

AAIIIC
09-20-12, 09:01 AM
Has anyone come up with a clever repair for the 3 tabs on each side of the front bumper where the fender liners attach? When I bought my car, all 3 on the driver side were cracked. Over time, 1 has broken off completely, and the other 2 don't really want to hold the plastic push-pin thingies that attach the wheel well liner to the bumper. The wheel well liner came loose enough that the tire chewed a hole in it, and I'm sure it's not going to last the next time I go to a track event.

A new OEM bumper cover is ~$500 + paint. At some point I do need to do some paint work on the car (the front end has gotten pretty sand blasted during track days), so I'll probably eventually go with a new bumper cover, but for now I'd like to try to fix what I've got. So, has anyone come up with a reasonably solid/permanent fix for those little tabs?

Thanks!

OneFast V
09-20-12, 09:58 AM
Has anyone come up with a clever repair for the 3 tabs on each side of the front bumper where the fender liners attach? When I bought my car, all 3 on the driver side were cracked. Over time, 1 has broken off completely, and the other 2 don't really want to hold the plastic push-pin thingies that attach the wheel well liner to the bumper. The wheel well liner came loose enough that the tire chewed a hole in it, and I'm sure it's not going to last the next time I go to a track event.

A new OEM bumper cover is ~$500 + paint. At some point I do need to do some paint work on the car (the front end has gotten pretty sand blasted during track days), so I'll probably eventually go with a new bumper cover, but for now I'd like to try to fix what I've got. So, has anyone come up with a reasonably solid/permanent fix for those little tabs?

Thanks!

You can plastic "weld" them back on, but I'm not sure how long they'll last depending how often you remove the front fascia.

you can use something like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-adjustable-temperature-96464.html

They also generally come with the plastic rods to use as a joiner.

AAIIIC
09-21-12, 12:22 PM
I'm not even sure I have enough to repair at this point. I might see about hitting the junkyard to find some scrap bumper plastic to make new tabs, then use the plastic welder to weld those to the bumper.

Hmmmm...

FuzzyLogic
09-21-12, 03:07 PM
I'm not even sure I have enough to repair at this point. I might see about hitting the junkyard to find some scrap bumper plastic to make new tabs, then use the plastic welder to weld those to the bumper.

Hmmmm...

Couldn't you epoxy washers to the back end of the tabs?

TroyFleming
09-22-12, 10:35 AM
Now these bumpers are TPO which is a very touchy plastic to correctly repair without correct tools. I normally just get a damaged bumper from local Caddy dealer for free cut the tabs off and then use a plastic welder and stainless mesh on backside slowly melting together making it strong then new. Adding filler rod where needed. Basically the mesh weave will slowly melt into plastic works great everytime.