: Removing Cigarette Lighter

DdoubleE
09-19-12, 10:53 PM
Is there a way I can remove the cigarette lighter with out taking out the dash?

EChas3
09-19-12, 11:02 PM
Carefully remove the center stack woodgrain bezel (I used two putty knifes covered with thin rags). It pops off but can be stiff. Be most carefull at the botton where it's thin.

After that, all will be revealed to you.

ddalder
09-20-12, 12:00 AM
There is actually a special tool used to remove these. Unfortunately, I can't find mine (I was going to post a picture). It's possible to do without the tool but it will be a fight, even if you do take it out of the dash. You need to remove the center metallic section before you'll be able to get the plastic collar out. This is where the tool makes the process very easy. There are two tabs that are accessed from the inside the metal cylinder. With both these depressed simultaneously, you can pull the metal center out. The tabs are part of the plastic outer collar.

EChas3
09-20-12, 07:17 PM
To pull the ashtray assembly, the HVAC & Nav may need to be loosened. I didn't know lighter removal required a special tool.

DdoubleE
09-20-12, 07:24 PM
I use to keep my change in the ash tray and a quarter slid behind the there and now I can't close my ash tray.

ddalder
09-20-12, 07:58 PM
To pull the ashtray assembly, the HVAC & Nav may need to be loosened. I didn't know lighter removal required a special tool.
Nope, you're correct. They are the same in 2008+ in that you must remove some parts to get the ashtray out. If you were just looking to remove the lighter socket (ie: burned/damaged), you may not need to take the dash apart to remove just that piece if you have the tool, and depending on wire length behind the socket.

I use to keep my change in the ash tray and a quarter slid behind the there and now I can't close my ash tray.
This will definitely necessitate removing the ashtray assembly. Follow what EChas3 mentioned and you'll sort the rest out. I misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish. You won't need to actually remove the cigarette lighter to remove the lodged coin but the tray assembly must come out.

Subsailor613
09-20-12, 07:59 PM
Your supposed to be able to remove the ashtray ONLY,to clean it, try that,
then get a flashlight to locate the quarter.
It should come out , leaving the slider mech, and Lighter intact.
Good Luck ! :cool2::cool2::cool2:

EChas3
09-20-12, 09:27 PM
A grasping tool (or a probe & duct tape) might extract a coin with patience.

It really isn't hard to pop the bezel, loosen some bolts and pull the ashtray assembly. No real disassembly is required.

Ludacrisvp
09-20-12, 09:34 PM
pull off the trim around the radio and hvac ... then unscrew (4) 8mm 'bolts' and the whole ashtray comes out. No need to loosen / remove hvac controls or NAV system.
to get the hvac controls out you actually have to remove the ashtray and the NAV unit as both of those overlap the hvac controls.

DdoubleE
09-21-12, 09:02 PM
Good looking in the info, the job was a lot easier than what I expected.