: Is around town driving in 3rd OK?

STS 310
12-13-04, 06:02 PM
Aside from degraded fuel economy, can anyone tell me if driving in 3rd instead of OD is bad for the engine or tranny?

I actualy like the responsiveness and quickness of 3rd around town, especially in the "hilly" areas.

peteski
12-14-04, 01:48 AM
I do that all the time. If you read the Owners Manual, it says that is what the 3rd gear setting is for.

Personally I dont' like when the TCC engages and disengages around 40MPH. Since I spend lots of time around that speed (in a hilly area), I just put it in 3rd.

Peteski

STS 310
12-14-04, 12:39 PM
Yea, I did read the owners manual from front to back, 3 times. LOL. But you know how that goes.

BeelzeBob
12-14-04, 09:04 PM
Driving in 3 is fine. Won't hurt a thing. I do the same thing a lot, especially in rush hour traffic when the extra engine braking helps you maintain position in traffic without using the brakes...and the extra punch is nice when the traffic clears in the lane in front of you.

When I use one of the FWD cars to tow with I use 3 all the time. It really reduces the load on the trans and cuts down any shifting on hills or anything. I have run for hundreds and hundreds of miles on the interstate with a trailer in 3. It likes it.

Ralph
12-14-04, 10:51 PM
I do it until I get heat because it spins the engine a little faster to warm it up.

peteski
12-15-04, 03:55 AM
That reminds me: Don't forget to put it back to Drive when you going out on a highway.

Once, I forgot. I had a radio on and didn't notice it. I was in traffic for a while then it cleared up. About 20 miles later (at about 75MPH) I noticed that my engine was reving over 4000 rpms! Ouch!

I know N* are designed to take long periods of high rpms. But I still felt like a fool! But I don't recall having to step on the accelerator any harder than usual...

Peteski

bsandnes
12-15-04, 04:36 AM
totally safe.

I use all 4 speeds regularly around town during the winter, however the electronic shifting isn't quite as responsive as more conventional transmissions for engine braking.......