: Clicking noise from behind vents

B1n2fra
09-18-12, 09:41 AM
I recently just started hearing a faint clicking sound behind the front vents by the radio. I thought it was the nav disc or the changer but it only clicks when the car is running and climate control off. When the heat or air is on the clicking stops.when I turn it off it shortly resumes.

eatyoursandwich
09-18-12, 11:07 AM
No help here, but mine does the same thing. I only notice it when the radio is off, but it would be nice if it didn't do it at all.

ddalder
09-18-12, 12:44 PM
This is more than likely a bad actuator in the HVAC system. I've seen this same problem in multiple vehicles. Each actuator (generally used to open/close doors) has a stepper motor and a sensor so that the HVAC system knows the position of the door. When the sensor fails, the motor keeps trying to turn and ends up making a clicking noise. This would be similar to the fuel cap. Even though it's on tight, you can still turn it beyond its limit and it will click. Occasionally, the system will have a problem with sensing and the motors can be recalibrated using a Tech2. Most often however, it requires replacing the defective actuator. This can be very labour intensive, depending on which one is faulty.

EChas3
09-18-12, 08:19 PM
Beats a fart!

R3TRO
09-19-12, 03:34 AM
Beats a fart!

Lol, mine does both! Going to the dealer soon to fix this and other issues (under warranty luckly!)

eatyoursandwich
09-19-12, 11:18 AM
This is more than likely a bad actuator in the HVAC system. I've seen this same problem in multiple vehicles. Each actuator (generally used to open/close doors) has a stepper motor and a sensor so that the HVAC system knows the position of the door. When the sensor fails, the motor keeps trying to turn and ends up making a clicking noise. This would be similar to the fuel cap. Even though it's on tight, you can still turn it beyond its limit and it will click. Occasionally, the system will have a problem with sensing and the motors can be recalibrated using a Tech2. Most often however, it requires replacing the defective actuator. This can be very labour intensive, depending on which one is faulty.

I really appreciate it.

Going to get this done while still under warranty.

Thanks again!

thegoat86
09-19-12, 12:59 PM
2005 STS V6. Same problem here. But I literally got it back from the dealer yesterday. The noise started upon leaving the dealer. They did a complete timing chain replacement job. Wondering if there is a possible vacuum leak? The brakes feel a little spongy also. Can someone answer whether or not the HVAC system is vacuum actuated? They might have broken a line or something when they took the intake off. Car is out of warranty and if I take it back to the stealership I am sure they will try to part me with another couple grand for this. Would like to be armed with info if I do have to go back.

B1n2fra
09-19-12, 02:32 PM
Can this destroy the motor by constantly trying to turn?

ddalder
09-19-12, 03:31 PM
2005 STS V6. Same problem here. But I literally got it back from the dealer yesterday. The noise started upon leaving the dealer. They did a complete timing chain replacement job. Wondering if there is a possible vacuum leak? The brakes feel a little spongy also. Can someone answer whether or not the HVAC system is vacuum actuated? They might have broken a line or something when they took the intake off. Car is out of warranty and if I take it back to the stealership I am sure they will try to part me with another couple grand for this. Would like to be armed with info if I do have to go back.

No, the HVAC system in these is not vacuum controlled. It is electronic actuators that move the doors.

Can this destroy the motor by constantly trying to turn?

I doubt it. I lived with this in my Bonneville for over a year before I finally dug into it. In that case, it was the most difficult to access and I had to remove the entire dash from the car to gain access to the problematic actuator. It cost me a few bucks in parts, but I decided to replace them all while I was in there. Based on when I had my STS dash out, it looks like even more work in these cars.