: HIDs in the fogs need a special ballast?

carlson_mn
09-18-12, 12:08 AM
Hey guys, I got some cheapo HID bulbs for the fogs, with the slim digital ballasts. While they both work.... generally only one will work at a time or neither.

Contacted the seller and they will give me a refund, but they say the V needs a Canbus Ballast that they guarantee to work which they also offer to sell ($30)

Any ideas if that is legit? The way the fog switch is on our cars makes me think their might be some tricky relays/switching going on within the car where it doesn't detect any bulbs, doesn't give the ballasts time to fire, etc.

Thanks for any input as I'm just guessing. I'd like to run these 3k bulbs.

stepchild21
09-18-12, 12:20 AM
Just buy a descent kit. Toss the cheapo shit !!! You drive a caddi !!! Not a civic haha

Regular hid kit and ballast should work.

stepchild21
09-18-12, 12:22 AM
I think most guys are ordering from "ddm"

carlson_mn
09-18-12, 10:03 AM
I actually tried an Ebay vendor due to a lot of shady DDM practices, not to mention my fair share of failures of their products also. I might just go that route again though.

stepchild21
09-18-12, 10:10 AM
Personally I just buy from a dealer right in my town. Amd they warranty everything right from their shop. But I've never had issues.

I have the hid foglights in my car, and yeah you don't need a special ballast or anything extraordinary.

OneFast V
09-18-12, 10:57 AM
I'm running the standard DDM 35w HID in the fogs and they require no special parts.... not sure what their reasoning would be for needing something special but they don't. have you checked to make sure all the connection are secure and in place?

FuzzyLogic
09-18-12, 12:28 PM
You all remember that the foglamp wiring is reversed relative to normal, right? If your HIDs don't fire, flip the polarity.

stepchild21
09-18-12, 01:59 PM
You all remember that the foglamp wiring is reversed relative to normal, right? If your HIDs don't fire, flip the polarity.

???? Reversed ?? You have one power wire and one ground wire... On most hid kits I find you have to reverse the connectors. I don't think that's just a Cts v foglight issue.

On my first set of his foglights for my car they plugged and played just regularly plugging them in. The new 6000k set I just bought I had to reverse them. I don't believe it's the cars "foglight wiring is reversed relative to normal"

carlson_mn
09-18-12, 05:10 PM

???? Reversed ?? You have one power wire and one ground wire... On most hid kits I find you have to reverse the connectors. I don't think that's just a Cts v foglight issue.

On my first set of his foglights for my car they plugged and played just regularly plugging them in. The new 6000k set I just bought I had to reverse them. I don't believe it's the cars "foglight wiring is reversed relative to normal"

Yeah, I reversed them like most kits require, but no love. They work.... just only sometimes, and with some flickering. The seller said its common with the kits he sells to Caddy and BMW owners and is offering me some different ballasts, but he is also offering a full refund without having to ship them back, which is pretty cool. I think I might do that and order a set from DDM.

Do you guys use the slim digital ballasts or the full size sets for your fogs?

Bigtuna819
09-18-12, 06:03 PM
i went with the ddm slim kit. No complaints or regrets here...

stepchild21
09-18-12, 06:03 PM
I used the slim ballasts for all my hids. I didn't think they still sold the full sized ones

carlson_mn
09-18-12, 06:45 PM
Thanks

FuzzyLogic
09-18-12, 06:54 PM
For 35 watts, the DDM slim kit is fine, but in general, you should use the full-size DDM Raptor whenever you can because they're more reliable and carry a better warranty.

carlson_mn
09-18-12, 06:58 PM
For 35 watts, the DDM slim kit is fine, but in general, you should use the full-size DDM Raptor whenever you can because they're more reliable and carry a better warranty.

+1. I had a couple issues with their slim kits in past and the full sized raptor kits are barely any bigger, no pigtail, and never an issue with those.

FuzzyLogic
09-18-12, 07:53 PM
The build quality on the DDM Raptor is superb. Their slim kit feels like a toy in comparison.

OneFast V
09-18-12, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I reversed them like most kits require, but no love. They work.... just only sometimes, and with some flickering. The seller said its common with the kits he sells to Caddy and BMW owners and is offering me some different ballasts, but he is also offering a full refund without having to ship them back, which is pretty cool. I think I might do that and order a set from DDM.

Do you guys use the slim digital ballasts or the full size sets for your fogs?

I used the full size. Plenty of room there for mounting them.

jcollege
09-20-12, 09:31 AM
Which bulb type did you guys get, I am going to order the Raptor kit this weekend.

carlson_mn
09-20-12, 11:19 AM
9145 = h10 same thing. What color are you looking to get?

jcollege
09-20-12, 11:38 AM
Awesome thanks, I am looking to get the 4500K

FuzzyLogic
09-20-12, 12:34 PM
Regardless of application, I recommend German-manufactured 4300-4500K bulbs. Not only are they do they provide the best illumination (being closest to pure white), they look the best, with that nice little blue-purple flash as you pass through the transition band in a projection lens.

People think that you'll get more of that flash and sparkle (color shift) by raising the color temperature, when it actually has the opposite effect. If you want to know more, pull up a Wikipedia page on optical refraction and Snell's Law. By producing only a part of the spectrum, you're effectively reducing one of the cosmetically desirable characteristics of your headlights.