: Aftermarker engine computers

Bud
12-13-04, 01:22 PM
I am considering installing a Northstar drivetrain in a 66 Corvair convertable. (I have done strange things like this before.) I would appreciate any suggestions for altertinative PCMs.
Many thanks,
Bud

BeelzeBob
12-14-04, 08:27 PM
Contact www.chrfab.com and ask for Alan Johnson (AJ). He has a complete setup with the electromotive PCM I believe already cal'ed for a Northstar. The electromotive unit uses the early (93-99) Northstar direct fire coil pack and crank sensors making it very easy to adapt. Alan has a number of hotted up Northstars running in sand cars with that set up and can set you up immediately.

We built a small block chev powered Corvair many moons ago. Called it the Whorevair. It was quick and loved to shell out the ring and pinion of the corvair transaxle.

One of my buds has a corvair with a transverse 4.9/4T60E trans. By putting the entire transverse engine/transaxle in the car it made a super clean, super bulletproof setup.

Were you going to go with the complete transverse Northstar setup or use just the engine in a longitudinal setup with the corvair transaxle?? IF you are going with the manual corvair transaxle the high winding Northstar would make a lot of power with the chrfab parts Alan offers and it would work well with the lighter car and manual trans.

Bud
12-15-04, 10:59 AM
I would transplant the entire Cadillac drive train as a unit.
We too have done Chev. SB conversions and yes the Corvair ring and pinion (even with four spider gears) don't hold up.
I have a spare 4.9, Humm.
Many thanks for your input. I will contact him.

Fiero STS
12-15-04, 11:45 AM
You can also use the stock 94-95 ecm with a chip. This is a much more cost efficient way of doing it. The chrfab set up will not run the 4t80e trans and you will have to find a stand alone ecm to shift the trans. With ether set up you will need to run the 94-95 idle air solenoid as the ecms will not run the newer stepper motors. Also I don't believe the chrfab ecm will not run the 2000+ engines. Best check with Alan if you are contemplating a 2000+ engine. So far there is not anything to run these engines outside of the caddys that I am aware of.

BeelzeBob
12-15-04, 12:50 PM
You can also use the stock 94-95 ecm with a chip. This is a much more cost efficient way of doing it. The chrfab set up will not run the 4t80e trans and you will have to find a stand alone ecm to shift the trans. With ether set up you will need to run the 94-95 idle air solenoid as the ecms will not run the newer stepper motors. Also I don't believe the chrfab ecm will not run the 2000+ engines. Best check with Alan if you are contemplating a 2000+ engine. So far there is not anything to run these engines outside of the caddys that I am aware of.

I agree. If you are transplanting the entire drivetrain with the transverse transaxle then the 93/94/95 production ECM is the way to go. It will need an after market chip and the VATS overridden but that is the only way to run the engine and trans. The electromotive or other aftermarket boxes will not run the trans. I was thinking of using the manual trans.

You can use any engine from 1993-1999 and use the 93/94/95 box. If it is a 96-99 engine just ditch the MPF and run it as a speed density system with the 93/94/95 box. AJ can help you with that also.

Bud
12-15-04, 04:50 PM
Excellent response!!! I am learning valuable info.
However, I am just a littl confused. Can I run a 93 ECM or must it be a 94 - 95. I have a 93.

Fiero STS
12-15-04, 04:54 PM
I am running a 98 engine / trans in my Fiero. The swap you are doing will be similar. I am running a 95 ecm and throttle body. I made my own wiring harness. I have a dash from a 95 sts that I use as a scan tool.

Bud
12-15-04, 04:59 PM
I have a complete 93 STS. Assuming I make my own harness (I have done this before) is the 93 ECM usable eith modified chip?

Fiero STS
12-15-04, 05:07 PM
Should not be a problem.

BeelzeBob
12-15-04, 11:40 PM
Excellent response!!! I am learning valuable info.
However, I am just a littl confused. Can I run a 93 ECM or must it be a 94 - 95. I have a 93.

Fundamentally the 93/94/95 boxes were all the same generation of ECM. You could use any of them. If you have a 93 that is fine.

Bud
12-16-04, 07:57 AM
Many thanks for the valuable input.

Bud
12-17-04, 12:20 PM
Chifab doesn't reprogram factory computers. Any suggestions who can provide this service?
While we are at it, I am finishing up a 49 Merc. on a much modified 95 Caprice frame with the second generation LT1 drive train. It will need the ECM / PCM reprogramed too.

botboy
12-17-04, 04:24 PM
Chifab doesn't reprogram factory computers. Any suggestions who can provide this service?
While we are at it, I am finishing up a 49 Merc. on a much modified 95 Caprice frame with the second generation LT1 drive train. It will need the ECM / PCM reprogramed too.

You can do it yourself, if you have a grasp on what you are doing:
www.moates.net (Autoprom, ostrich)
www.transtronics.com (pocket programmer II, pocket romulator)

Fiero STS
12-18-04, 03:49 PM
I have a chip that will work for running your N* with a OBDI computer and the 4t80e trans. It will turn off the traction control and firm up the shifts. Send me your chip and 150.00 and I will have the program burnt to your chip. you will need a vats signal generator. I can build you one for 50 bucks, or I can send you the info if you want to do it yourself.