: 2005 V-8 STS speed limited to 108 MPH!!! What gives!!

DHspring
09-17-12, 11:41 AM
What a ripoff, I thought these cars were capable of 155 MPH, the V-8 NorthStar version that is. Last Sat. I had the dubious distinction of flooring my car on a open stretch of road in Houston to see how fast I could get it going, this sucker cut off at 108 with "Speed Limited" message on the message center. Are you frigging kidding me??? 108 mph!! any GM V-6 Chevy or Pontiac will hit 105 mph, and I have the W-rated tires on this thing good for 170mph, what a rip off!!! I tried both with and without traction control. Here I been telling people that my car will do 155 and it's castrated to 108!!! I'm pizzed about this. One guy on this forum told me a year ago that the STS V-8 would do 155 MPH it and he had done it. He was either lying or had his limiter removed somehow!!!! All this fancy engine, suspension, tires for 108! What a sham Caddy!!!

BaTu
09-17-12, 12:03 PM
Somethings wrong.... That shouldn't happen I don't think. What tire rating did it come with stock? (the ECM would be limited to that speed) I donno, maybe scan the computer for issues?

My '05 rolls Much higher than that! (I know I've had it into the 140's)

KRSTS
09-17-12, 12:32 PM
Probably a former rental. I believe it is 108 that the rental companies require GM to limit their fleet cars to.

dkozloski
09-17-12, 12:35 PM
Other fleet owners do the same thing.

curtc
09-17-12, 04:40 PM
What tires came with it stock? Look in the driver door jam

KRSTS
09-17-12, 04:54 PM
Tires are irrelevant if it was manufactured as a fleet vehicle

EChas3
09-17-12, 09:48 PM
The Hertz cars came with rock-hard Michelin Energy tires. Nice mileage but no traction and easily over-driven. I could understand that being standard on fleet cars. My wife's 1SE has RPO's:
FCH - HERTZ RENT A CAR
FLT - FLEET PROCESSING OPTION
QKP - P235/50R17 MICHELIN S-RATED.

There are also some suspension deletes which I believe soften the ride but cost handling. I could be wrong:
JJD - I/P SUBASSEMBLY NOT INSTALLED
JJL - SUSPENSION FRONT NOT INSTALLED
JJM - SUSPENSION REAR NOT INSTALLED

There is a shop that claims to have cracked the early N* ECM. It was only a few weeks ago, so check the threads a page or two back.

DHspring
09-18-12, 08:46 AM
Thanks for all the posts guys, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I do believe this was a leased vehicle, don't know if it was to a rental agency or through a dealer. I bought it 3 years old. The tires were rated for high speed, if I recall they are "V" rated Michelins good for 170 MPH or something like that, I replaced them with the same tires thinking if I ever wanted to take it up to 140-50 I wanted to be sure I wouldn't explode a shoe. Anyway I wonder if I can ask the dealer to remove that limiter. Has anyone ever asked a dealer to do this?

Submariner409
09-18-12, 09:09 AM
Again, look at your door sticker - tire specs. The tire speed rating will give you the limiter set into THAT car. You will have a hard time trying to find a GM dealer that will use the new CAN scan tool to remove the limiter. Maybe, just maybe you could talk to Lyndon Wester at Wester's Garage, Canada. (Google it) They do all sorts of PCM work.

V-rated tires with speed service description are good to 149 mph. Don't push your luck. When you go up to the W/Z tires you spend some serious dollars for rubber...........

BaTu
09-18-12, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the posts guys, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I do believe this was a leased vehicle, don't know if it was to a rental agency or through a dealer.

It would have to be something other than a regular "lease". I bought mine off-lease from GMAC and it didn't come limited. In fact, how would anyone know, once if left the factory, how it was going to be paid for?

I'm thinking this may have only applied to some National Account Fleet purchases like Hertz or something...

DHspring
09-18-12, 11:57 AM
Again, look at your door sticker - tire specs. The tire speed rating will give you the limiter set into THAT car. You will have a hard time trying to find a GM dealer that will use the new CAN scan tool to remove the limiter. Maybe, just maybe you could talk to Lyndon Wester at Wester's Garage, Canada. (Google it) They do all sorts of PCM work.

V-rated tires with speed service description are good to 149 mph. Don't push your luck. When you go up to the W/Z tires you spend some serious dollars for rubber...........

thanks will check the door and see what's on it. To be honest, you have to be nuts to be driving over 100mph anyway around Houston, that'll probably get you hauled into jail and is a serious fine unless you're on closed track. It would be nice to know that you could punch it and take it up to 120-30 if you're way out in the boonies of W. Texas or Wyoming whatever, but in all practicality it's not really worth the risk.

EChas3
09-18-12, 08:16 PM
Mine came with W:)

DHspring
09-19-12, 08:41 AM
thanks will check the door and see what's on it. To be honest, you have to be nuts to be driving over 100mph anyway around Houston, that'll probably get you hauled into jail and is a serious fine unless you're on closed track. It would be nice to know that you could punch it and take it up to 120-30 if you're way out in the boonies of W. Texas or Wyoming whatever, but in all practicality it's not really worth the risk.

Well the mystery seems to be solved, the tire rating on the door jamb was "P", that doesn't even make the low end of the chart the one guy posted (Q is 99 mph so less than that!), so it looks like this was a fleet rental car, boy you learn something every day, I have "W" rated Michelins that I put on for no good reason now I guess, except they are excellent tires.

I called a Houston Caddy dealer and they said they would not remove the speed limiter. Oh well, I don't need to get myself in trouble anyway, the next car I will know about this. Goes to show all Caddies aren't equal!!!

Ludacrisvp
09-19-12, 09:25 AM
for likely only a couple hundred $ you could get a tune and have it removed and likely only pay 2x what a dealer would have charged to change it if they were willing to do so.

Also are you looking in the correct spot?
Mine are "W" rated...

Just want to make sure you aren't thinking the first P is the speed rating... FWIW P rated for speed is 93MPH.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8150/7480725834_29ee23476b_b.jpg

Submariner409
09-19-12, 10:51 AM
Heh, heh.............. Yep - the "P" at the beginning of the tire size indicates that the tire is a passenger size/type.

DHspring
09-19-12, 03:56 PM
Heh, heh.............. Yep - the "P" at the beginning of the tire size indicates that the tire is a passenger size/type.

Well actually I did call the "P" at the front of the code the rating, will have to recheck, it was dark in the garage this morning. All I know it that it's saddled up and ready for 150 MPH shoes but dragging an anchor aka speed limiter! If I sell the car, I will not disclosed this fact!! Ha ha!

Submariner409
09-19-12, 04:21 PM
Did you call Wester's Garage ?

1BadCadSTS
09-19-12, 04:24 PM
Mad tuners only one who can tune 05-06 rwd lh2 n*

medwar11
01-03-13, 06:57 PM
What if the original tire sticker doesn't have a speed rating listed after the size, or anywhere?

Car doesn't have any rental or fleet RPO codes.

Engine light is on... could that be related? Could the computer limit the car if the engine light is on?

1BadCadSTS
01-03-13, 07:07 PM
See above. Only way to defeat it.