: Caddy fan, new to site looking, questions

prg333
09-17-12, 10:47 AM
Hello I am new the the site. I have always been a fan of Caddys. Love the line in the Warren Zevon
Song "Blood Red Coupe DeVille"

I know the 1950's and 1960's Cadillac Cars are the most Sought after, with the higher asking price.

So the 1970 to 1973 would be more in my price range.

I have been looking at shows and EBAY for either A Coupe DeVille or a Fleetwood Brougham.

So my questions are:

1. What is the main difference between the 2?

2. Is 1973 the model year where rules changed for environmental reasons and horsepower was
Downgraded, resulting in less of that pin you to
The back of your seat on takeoff?

3 where is a good place to buy a 70 to 73 Fleetwood Brougham or Coup Deville?

Can some good deals be found on EBAY?

4. What is the price for a very good all around
Brougham or DeVille?

5 what things should one look out for when going
To see one for sale in person? Or about on
On ebay

6 What are some of the mechanical bugs or problems to look for in these cars?

Thank you for the advise and help

truckinman
09-17-12, 11:20 AM
Welcome! I dont know much bout the older caddies even tho I love them, I don't think you want any caddy pre-northstar if you are worried about having enough power to get that "pinned back to your seat" feeling. I mean the old ones had a decent amount of power, but they moved around a LOTTA weight too. So whether it's pre gas crisis or during gas crisis, you won't be buying a 14 or 15 or even 17 second quarter mile car. Lol.

For a mint low mileage brougham or deVille, you could expect to pay 10-12. Least that's what ive found them at around my areas. They can be found cheaper too and pricier but I'd say that's an average in my parts. Ive seen them as low as 5k b4 tho too in mint condition. Ive noticed Craigslist is a great place to find deals on those cars.
Just my .02

Ranger
09-17-12, 11:41 AM
:welcome:

2. Is 1973 the model year where rules changed for environmental reasons and horsepower was
Compression ratios where lowered from 10.0:1 to 8.5:1 in '71 and HP began to suffer from that point on. Torque took a bit hit in '72.
Scroll about half way down this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V8_engine

77CDV
09-17-12, 02:07 PM
Hello I am new the the site. I have always been a fan of Caddys. Love the line in the Warren Zevon
Song "Blood Red Coupe DeVille"

I know the 1950's and 1960's Cadillac Cars are the most Sought after, with the higher asking price.

So the 1970 to 1973 would be more in my price range.

I have been looking at shows and EBAY for either A Coupe DeVille or a Fleetwood Brougham.

So my questions are:

1. What is the main difference between the 2?

Aside from the number of doors, the CDV is a pillarless hard top, while the Brougham is a pillared sedan. The Brougham is 3" longer than the CDV. Interior appointments differ slightly. Mechanically, they are identical.

Ranger's post above is correct.

3 where is a good place to buy a 70 to 73 Fleetwood Brougham or Coup Deville?

Can some good deals be found on EBAY?

Ebay, Hemmings, Craigslist, Auto Trader. They're not that hard to find. The trick is finding one that isn't beat to hell and hasn't been fooled with.

4. What is the price for a very good all around
Brougham or DeVille?

The bestest one in the whole wide world shouldn't cost more than $10K-$12K. $6K will buy you a very nice driver.

5 what things should one look out for when going
To see one for sale in person? Or about on
On ebay

Rust. That's the major problem with these cars. Look for rust under the vinyl top, esp around the backlight and in the C-pillars. Lower front fenders, rear wheel wells, trunk and floor pan, rocker panels, and sometimes the frame itself. Rust under the top will show as knots or bumps under the vinyl. Press hard in the suspect areas. If you hear crunching or it feels soft, you're in for some body work. Take a small magnet and check all the areas listed. If the magnet doesn't stick, the area has been repaired with filler.

6 What are some of the mechanical bugs or problems to look for in these cars?

Thank you for the advise and help

The powertrain on these cars is pretty much bullet proof. The 472 with the TH400 is a stout combination and can tolerate a fair amount of neglect and abuse. Always make sure all the options work. Repairing them can get pricey.

Your best course is to inspect thoroughly any car you want to buy, or have a trusted person do it for you. Buy the very best one you can afford. It will be far cheaper in the end than trying to restore one.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

Aron9000
09-19-12, 05:51 AM
Look for a 1969 or 1970 model car. They look way cooler than the 71-73 cars IMO, plus they had the high compression, big horsepower motors. They were significantly faster than the later 70's cars too, which makes them a lot more fun to tool around in IMO. Although a 69 or 70 will run you more $$$$ than a 71-73 car. The interior on 71-73 cars were junk IMO, the quality is about on par with a Chevy Impala. They improved a good bit for 74-76, but the 69-70 cars weren't all that special inside either, but they were a lot better than the 71-73 cars IMO.

This is a great website for the differences between model years.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1960/cad69.htm

brandondeleo
09-19-12, 07:44 AM
Dat ass... (Get an Eldorado...)

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1960-1969/1967-Cadillac-Eldorado-4.jpg

Kev
09-19-12, 04:45 PM
That '67 is so dang pretty, it makes me want one!

69 Camaro
09-19-12, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=brandondeleo;3090700]Dat ass... (Get an Eldorado...)

Are those white walls the real deal or what we used to refer to as port-a-walls? Good looking Eldorado. See my screen name. I'm a fan of old stuff too. Just a diff brand.

77CDV
09-19-12, 10:20 PM
Those are real whites. Guy here in SoCal has a gold 67 Eldo with the same tires.

orconn
09-19-12, 11:59 PM
The '67 Eldorado's didn't come from the factory with those "wide" white walls. They came with the thinner white side walls that had become popular during the sixties, and were easier to keep clean.

69 Camaro
09-20-12, 03:05 PM
Growing up in the 60's, my dad had a 56 Chevy with those wide white walls. One of my Saturday chores was cleaning up the car. Always used Westley's Bleach White. Worked great. Wonder if they still make that stuff? I remember saying to my self at the time that I'd never have a car with white walls and I haven't.

cadillac kevin
09-20-12, 03:30 PM
Growing up in the 60's, my dad had a 56 Chevy with those wide white walls. One of my Saturday chores was cleaning up the car. Always used Westley's Bleach White. Worked great. Wonder if they still make that stuff? I remember saying to my self at the time that I'd never have a car with white walls and I haven't.

Yup...you can still get westleys bleach white.

cadillac kevin
09-20-12, 03:40 PM

77CDV
09-20-12, 03:48 PM
^Double post 10 minutes later? Really? :wtf:

cadillac kevin
09-20-12, 04:42 PM
^Double post 10 minutes later? Really? :wtf:

I blame the phone. I posted, exited the forum app, them went back on 10 minutes later and it posted again.

77CDV
09-21-12, 12:11 AM
The phone....yeah...that's the ticket! :lol:

I blame the phone. I posted, exited the forum app, them went back on 10 minutes later and it posted again.

talismandave
09-21-12, 01:10 AM
You might if you hurry. The shipment we got in today was no longer Westleys! It is now Tire Black Bleach White. How is that for a contradiction!:suspect:

brandondeleo
09-21-12, 04:04 AM
I've noticed some mobile ... eccentricities ... too. It's cool to have the app; I've used it plenty of times, but it tweaks sometimes.

77CDV
09-22-12, 03:00 AM
You might if you hurry. The shipment we got in today was no longer Westleys! It is now Tire Black Bleach White. How is that for a contradiction!:suspect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJSRP7cZVo

talismandave
09-22-12, 05:24 AM
Correction, looked today and it is Black Magic Bleche White. Almost as bad. Westleys name is history. Unfortunate too, because it was history.

ShapeShifter
09-22-12, 06:42 PM
Black Magic Bleche White....now that sounds more like a voodoo curse gone bad.

talismandave
09-22-12, 10:51 PM
I just am going to miss the Westleys name and retro looking packaging. I remember my dad using it when I was 5 in 1964 on his 56 Buick Century and it still looked the same. Oh well as long as it cleans as well...