: Your most nostalgic car?

orconn
09-16-12, 03:36 PM
Maybe not the best car you ever came in contact with, but the one that holds the most memories for you.

For me it was my Dad's 1940 Packard Touring Sedan. It may have been the car I came home from the hospital in, can't remember! But it was surely the car I saw more Ilse in than any other. My Dad bought it from the estate of a sea captain while my family was living in Coronado, CA during WWII. Good thing it was a very good car because it stay with us for a long time (for the younger ones miles us civilian car production stopped in 1942 and you couldn't get a new car again until 1946). The old brown Packard carried our little family coast to coast four times in 1940's, from California to New Jersey and back and forth. The car kept us mobile through out WW II and then went on to be the car that drove the Angeles Crest Highway to Mt. Wilson daily while my father oversaw the installation of several of the TV transmitters that served Greater Los Angeles for many years. The old Packard was still hauling us on our annual vacations to the High Sierras until 1950 when this faithful, but well worn Packard was replaced with a new one.

I still have memories of standing behind the front seat and peering out the windshield to play "name that car" with my Dad. I also remember being "can't wait to see" the Rockies after the boredom of "wall to wall" corn from Ohio to Missouri. I remember stopping at my father's teenage home, a ranch outside Prescott, Arizona, and meeting "real" Indians and cowboys who worked the ranches in that area during "Frontier Days" in that town. I also remember visiting my relatives in Decatur, Illinois and Janesville, Wisconsin and going on a steamboat ride through the Wisconsin Dells.

Of course I remember some of the the sights of the old Route 66. The motels shaped like teepee's, the rock and creature museums, with their Gila Monsters and rattle snakes and rusted and broken wagon wheels. I also remember my mother making sure were had water bottles and empty bottles to pee in (so Dad wouldn't have yo stop every half hour cause my sister and I were tired of riding!). And remember the horribly filthy toilets most gas station had to offer. (hey old guys, remember the electronic toilet seats whose blue light was supposed to sterile the seat?). Of course there were no chain restaurants, even Howard Johnson's had not come to the highways yet, so you just had to take your chances with the Mom and Pop places along the way (if there were a lot of trucks park out front you took as a good omen!).

The "Painted Desert", the "The Petrified Forest," and of, course, the Grand Canyon made passing through Arizona a lot more interesting! (this was good because Mom and Dad's stories were wearing a bit thin after the Texas Panhandle and the ride to Tucumcare, New Mexico.

During all the miles the old Packard kept it wheels spinning, getting and oil change and lube every 1000 miles, and proudly carrying a canvas water bag, for emergencies, slung on its' radiator when crossing the Western deserts and climbing the mountains.

It was the car that carried the Christmas trees home from the local lot, tied on its' roof, and it was the car that hauled me off to school until I was old enough to walk with the older kids to half mile or so to school.

All in all, a very memorable car that served a young itinerant American family well in the days when a good car was a treasure to be kept in good shape till the war ended and a new car could be had.

Here is picture of a car like the 1940 Packard Touring Sedan that served my family so well!

CadillacLuke24
09-16-12, 05:25 PM
I've only had Alexandra for 3 years, so she isn't quite there yet.

My Dad's old 1997 Chevrolet Suburban LS takes the cake. I loved that old truck.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=82070&endYear=1997&modelCode1=CHEVSUB&showcaseOwnerId=595608&startYear=1997&makeCode1=CHEV&exteriorColorSimple1=WHITE&searchRadius=0&listingId=329199138&Log=0

Just like this one, except it had barn doors in the back. We'd go all over in that thing, and she was reliable (until the manifold gaskets crapped the bed in 03. That ultimately led him to get the ESV he currently has.) Dad, being, well, Dad, would do burnouts in the garage, and we always got a kick out of that. I remember helping him figure mileage, and 15 combined was good :lol: Naturally, in the late 90s, that wasn't a huge concern.

Never hurts that I was able to drive for the first time ever, and at the helm of a Chevy 350 V8 to boot. That was fun. Always thought I could stop 'er on a dime.

I like my Dad's ESV, but it just doesn't have the same sentimental value. For my second car I my go find a Suburban like that for old time's sake.

brandondeleo
09-17-12, 02:32 AM
My dad's '00 Silverado... Lots of memories in that thing.

truckinman
09-17-12, 08:41 AM
My dads 1987 jeep wrangler. He bought it new n had it for 25 years. I was just 1 year old when he picked it up in 86. All the vacations were in that. Going to the beach with the top down. Going to his back fields and cutting firewood. Learned to drive a stick in his freshly plowed field

EcSTSatic
09-17-12, 09:51 AM
'68 Firebird 400 convertible. Girls would ask for rides in it! Met my wife while I had it.

cadillac kevin
09-17-12, 10:39 AM
For my, my most memorable car would have to be my dads 77 catalina safari wagon, even though he only had it for 2 years. It had been painted gold twice (quite shoddily) over the original maroon paint (which showed where the hood ornament and hood pontiac badge were). It had a set of progressive aluminum rims that had a design that looked like a 3 tooth saw blade. I remember the day he brought it home and slammed the driver door, and the trailer mirror fell off the door. We then spent the afternoon ripping out almost everything the PO had done to it. He had hacked the cargo area side panels to death, installing cheapo house speakers and lights everywhere, so those went in the trash. He threw away the rear carpet, cleaned out the bird seed that had spilled out of a package under the front seat, installed some "roadmaster" brand deck mount speakers on the C pillars, and put some 2% tint on the back windows. It had no dashboard cover in the center, a sheepskin headliner, a caprice headlight bezel wedged in the right front corner, and a buick taillamp on the right rear. He later installed some cargo panels from a parisienne (which were maroon). My dad (appropriately) named it frankenstein. To my 10 year old self, it was a badass car. I recall a couple instances in the car (both when something went wrong lol.) Once while going through an intersection, a chevy truck turned in front of him. He hit the brakes and barely missed creaming the truck, but he blew out his brake lines. We then got to drive home (10+ miles) with no brakes whatsoever.
Another instance we were coming back from a friends house way out in catawissa and while driving (doing 85+) the engine blew up. It went up in smoke (literally). All of a sudden it started smoking and lost power. We got out of the car and sat against the rear bumper waiting for the car to catch fire (it was smoking that bad and it reeked horribly). Well, a couple minutes later some guy rolled up in an 80s bronco 2 and said that he saw smoke rolling off the back corners of the hood and going up the pillars and over the roof a few miles back when we blew his doors off and figured we weren't going to make it very far. He then gave myself, my dad, and as much of his tools as we could fit in his tiny truck a ride back to St. Louis (which was over a half hours drive away). I had to sit in my dads lap because the truck only had 2 seats. Turns out the motor blew 5 freeze plugs, dumping all the coolant out of the motor. He replaced the freeze plugs and drove it for another year.
At 300k+ of abuse, the gutless 301 finally died (threw a rod).

talismandave
09-17-12, 06:07 PM
'68 Firebird 400 convertible. Girls would ask for rides in it! Met my wife while I had it.
My 77 Ford E150 custom van, and for the same reason! The 70's custom vans were "a thing" and there were women who, if they hadn't ever been in the back of one, wanted to. The last gasps of the free love 60's I suppose.
I didn't meet my wife this way, but I met a few other guys wives.:quagmire:Giggity giggity!

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/Cars%20Of%20My%20Life/77van.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/Cars%20Of%20My%20Life/PICT0028-1.jpg
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/Cars%20Of%20My%20Life/762012558-1.jpg

truckinman
09-17-12, 09:42 PM
My 77 Ford E150 custom van, and for the same reason! The 70's custom vans were "a thing" and there were women who, if they hadn't ever been in the back of one, wanted to. The last gasps of the free love 60's I suppose.
I didn't meet my wife this way, but I met a few other guys wives.:quagmire:Giggity giggity!

I love those old e-series vans! Very mice one you had there.

talismandave
09-18-12, 12:06 AM
I love those old e-series vans! Very mice one you had there.Yeah it was typical 70s shlock. Shag carpet everywhere, bed in back pair of captains chairs. When I bought it new it was one factory seat and that was it! Ended up trading it for my first Talisman so the story had a happy ending!
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/Cars%20Of%20My%20Life/PICT0027-1.jpghttp://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/davidpraedel/talismandave/Cars%20Of%20My%20Life/762012533-1.jpg

Koooop
09-18-12, 12:29 AM
When was about 5 or 6 my Dad brought home a new Corvette (1969 model), it's in my garage.

ryannel2003
09-18-12, 01:34 AM
Probably my grandfathers '84 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham. Triple Blue with the 307 V8 and the cushiest velour seats on the planet. It was a gorgeous car that was totaled by a drunk driver; thats the one car he still talks about to this day.

brandondeleo
09-18-12, 02:47 AM
All you need to do is write "free candy" on the side! :histeric:

cadillac kevin
09-18-12, 01:35 PM
All you need to do is write "free candy" on the side! :histeric:
I think the pinstriped playboy bunny on the sides and purple shag bed in the back are creepy enough

talismandave
09-18-12, 09:41 PM
That was about twenty years before that became "a thing". Different times. Back then they saw a panel van they thought you were thieves not perv's! local cops hated me, played cat and mouse with one in particular. He knew I had a police scanner mounted in the dash and would talk to me on it. Would drive around us, drive off, and then we would hear something like "watch yourself" or "don't do anything foolish".