: Hello from Texas!

aasro
09-16-12, 09:31 AM
Hello everyone! I have a 78 Cadillac Eldorado Custom Birratz, one owner - my Dad! I was with him the day he purchased it and have always loved the car. It has been in storage for the past several years. I am moving to new house with a two car garage. Should I take it with me and restore it or should I sell it?

Stingroo
09-16-12, 09:40 AM
Got some photos?

Personally, if you have the means, I would keep it. I'd love to have some of the cars from my dad's past.

MrHolland
09-16-12, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and ppl in here. As for the Eldog, absolutely you should keep it. Its not going to fetch enough money to properly compensate you for the memories, and once the money is gone the regret will set in. My advice, keep your car and make many more memories. Good luck with your decision and post up some pics of said machine.

brandondeleo
09-16-12, 11:05 AM
Ooh, pics please! Keep it!

Welcome!

77CDV
09-16-12, 02:46 PM
If you have the space and the inclination, I'd keep it. They just don't make cars like that anymore, and with the family connection and the memories involved, I think you'd regret it if you sold it.

+1 on the pics request! :D

CadillacLuke24
09-16-12, 05:27 PM
It'd be a great weekend cruiser if you kept it, even if you didn't restore it. Old Cadillacs like that have a presence and a feel to them that can't be beat.
I'd keep it.

aasro
09-17-12, 08:37 AM
Thank you everyone for you input! This decision has been weighing on me for long time. I've always loved driving the car. I think i will keep it. Next problem, I'm not sure how to go about starting it for the first time in years. Is there anything special I should do before trying? I know the batery is probably run down and may need to be replaced, but is there anything else? I know a little about working on cars, but not enough to make a living doing it. I'll try to get a pic of it when it comes out of the storage room.

brandondeleo
09-17-12, 08:49 AM
Fluids fluids fluids.
Fresh gas.
Among other things.

EcSTSatic
09-17-12, 09:48 AM
I hope your garage is big enough. That thing is longer than my Suburban! :duck:

cadillac kevin
09-17-12, 10:23 AM
Change the fluids (oil, coolant), charge (or replace) the battery, and put new gas in it (you can try to start it with the old gas, but it might not run well).

CadillacCastle
09-17-12, 11:40 PM
how much would you sell it for. I am in east Texas .

aasro
10-10-12, 10:31 AM
how much would you sell it for. I am in east Texas .
i'm not even sure what to ask for it. i know when they are 'cherry' they go for 15-20k depending on what part of the country you're in. i'm almost embarrased to show it to anyone. it has been sitting in storage for the past 5-6 years and has a layer of dust an inch thick on it. otherwise it needs the typical eldo things - mainly new nose and tail cones. the electric antena quit working just before putting it in storage. it needs to have the vinyl (?) roof replaced and it needs a paint job. dad had purchased the original paint for it but then let one of his drunk a$$ friends spray it. the color's right but the quality is horrible. what would you offer?

----------

thank you everyone for the advice! I'm wondering if it would be better to just take it to a shop and pay someone to get it running for me. after that, off to the paint shop! or should the vinyl roof be done first?

----------

----------

I hope your garage is big enough. That thing is longer than my Suburban! :duck:
Yes it is! I had a Ford F150 long bed truck and the car was almost a foot longer and wider! When I went to have the title transferred, the lady behind the counter thought the title had a typo on it because it showed the weight as 5200 lbs. - invited her out to the parking lot to see it for herself!