: Steering Wheel Heater

Subsailor613
09-14-12, 09:08 PM
Not Working, Checked the fuse , it's OK, I think there MUST be a relay for it,
as the switch is momentary, and the whole system resets itself with the ignition OFF.
Any Help would be appreciated.

ddgm
09-14-12, 09:49 PM
I believe that the steering wheel heater is thermostatically controlled. It probably doesn't get cold enough where you are to turn on.

Doug

Charles Warren
09-14-12, 10:03 PM
Mine has a mind of it's own too. It was cold when i tried but it works when it wants to. I would replace mine only because my wheel isn't woodgrain

ddalder
09-15-12, 01:03 AM
I believe the 2006 is similar to 2008+ model year. I have a steering wheel heater module located in the steering wheel (accessible by removing the air bag and some of the other trim). It may be this, or a fault with the heating element. It isn't uncommon for the heaters to stop working (based on other posts). Usually it requires a whole new steering wheel.

1BadCadSTS
09-15-12, 01:35 AM
hope you dont have a 05-07 wheel....

gm backorder due to producer going under and there are none left....

KRSTS
09-15-12, 11:47 AM
My heater failed and it turned out to be the element inside the wheel. Replaced under warranty. Took about a month to find a wheel and I got one of the last ones in the system. There are no more left as stated above.

malatu
09-15-12, 08:54 PM
Yep, I can attest to that. Mine failed... dealer said there are no more... and there's nothing we can do for you.

Cadjiek
09-15-12, 09:34 PM
That's a shame. Who is making them for the CTS and XTS? Seems they should be able to manufacture one for the STS. By the way, the one I had on my 07 STS had to be replaced under warranty too. The other thing I wanted to mention is that it came on no matter what the tempersature is. You hit the switch and it's on. Just like the heated seats.

Subsailor613
09-15-12, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all your comments !

ddalder
09-15-12, 10:17 PM
You can always try an auto wrecker. May sure they will warranty it in case you receive it DOA. It's unlikely they will test it before shipping it to you to confirm it works.

EChas3
09-15-12, 11:28 PM
Although it's a common option and an alternative manufacturer shouldn't be too hard to find, unfortunately the 2005-2007 wheel varies a lot according to the full option set (i.e. different buttons).

There could be money in refurb's except that nobody wants the liability for the airbag.

ddalder
09-16-12, 12:58 AM
Although it's a common option and an alternative manufacturer shouldn't be too hard to find, unfortunately the 2005-2007 wheel varies a lot according to the full option set (i.e. different buttons).

There could be money in refurb's except that nobody wants the liability for the airbag.
I'm not sure where the airbag comes in. It's a completely separate component that attaches to the steering wheel. The switches are transferrable as well. I agree though that it would be difficult to make money at this unless a shop was tooled correctly, but otherwise the basic heated steering wheel varies only by model year design and whether it has a section of wood.

Ludacrisvp
09-16-12, 04:04 AM
What about a full column upgrade from a 08+ model?

ddalder
09-16-12, 12:15 PM
What about a full column upgrade from a 08+ model?
From a physical interchange standpoint, this may be possible. The problem will be with the steering wheel controls. There is a network of resistors in the controls that create a voltage drop across an input on the IPM. Depending on the button pressed, the voltage on the input varies and the IPM responds accordingly. While a button may be labelled Seek Up or Seek Down on one set of switches, it might be labelled Gap + or Gap - on another. The voltage drop that switch creates will be the same regardless of the label, but depending on which option the IPM believes the car has, it will respond differently. Since the 2008+ and 2005-07 have a different number of switches, the IPM will not recognize all possible options and may not respond correctly (based on how the switch is labelled) when one is pressed. Because the airbag is different as well, I'm not sure if the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SMD) may need to be changed or reprogrammed.

Ludacrisvp
09-17-12, 03:35 AM
I would probably pick up a 08+ wheel and try swapping the control module that is under the airbag. I added the dhs heated wheel to my DTS and there was a dedicated controller module for the heated wheel ... I assume this is what is failing. If not at least it was a good effort to fix it.

1BadCadSTS
09-17-12, 09:47 AM
The plugs need modified but a user on the srx forums got an 08 wheel to work on his 05 srx some of the buttons just didn't work.