Bluetooth with an excellent mic
Bluetooth Audio
IPod Integration
Pandora and iHeart Radio Apps
USB
Free Real Time Traffic
Hooked up to my rear view cam
ETC...
I keep my iPod Touch and Verizon WIFI hotspot in the car and it gives me every source of music I could want. I will post pics once I figure out the permanent place for the Pod and hotspot.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Vz6qc3PLRUw/UEvXLuvCvUI/AAAAAAAAAkw/_EM1kGQVqeQ/s800/20120908_182920.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LWEcDY1thwc/UE6qBfC7RfI/AAAAAAAAAlg/fty_ty8QSvY/s800/20120910_220137.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3k3c-DZGD74/UEvWt8zstbI/AAAAAAAAAkg/XM_HSZoifVM/s800/20120908_183105.jpg

I should have done this sooner. The sound is much better than the stock headunit. Now I need some speakers to round out the system. I will keep you guys posted on my choices.

jclayc
09-14-12, 09:53 AM
how'd you get/do the trim panel around it? looks great

carlson_mn
09-14-12, 12:37 PM
Very nice. Caddy upset me by not having all the DIC info simply scroll through under the speedo where it should be, then there would be a real purpose to that steering wheel button to scroll through that info. Why they put a digital speedo next to a perfectly good analog speedo?

xbladr
09-14-12, 01:50 PM
I would love to do this if only i could come to grips with losing the DIC

strapp1000
09-14-12, 03:52 PM
I would love to do this if only i could come to grips with losing the DIC

Let it go my friend...let it go :)

we3hokies
09-15-12, 01:11 AM
I've owned my v for about 2 months and I can't wait to rip this piece of crap nav unit and speakers out. Great car but the nav/stereo has to go, regardless of dic info.

howanicm
09-15-12, 03:51 AM
Are there any other ill effects of removing the oem head unit? I really want to get rid of dont really care bout the temp and odometers and such. Can you swap tge unit and still use the stock bose speakers? Does traction control and stability control still work? Thanks

josney
09-15-12, 11:54 PM
looks very nice OP

josney
09-15-12, 11:57 PM
Are there any other ill effects of removing the oem head unit? I really want to get rid of dont really care bout the temp and odometers and such. Can you swap tge unit and still use the stock bose speakers? Does traction control and stability control still work? Thanks
no effects at all. if you do go with another head unit, get rid of the bose speakers too.

howanicm
09-16-12, 01:29 AM
Will the oem bose speakers humm if you swap the H/U but not the speakers? I had bose in my 350z and swapped just the head unit and there was like a fuzzy/scratchy/humming sound or whatever you want to call it when there was no music or other media playing. I ended up doing everything in that and dont really want to do that with this car. I hate that f*@$en stock thing.

catch2otwo
09-16-12, 06:12 PM
Please provide one details on the head unit surround. Where did ya get it, price, etc... Looks great

howanicm
09-16-12, 08:56 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120992006/Cadillac-In-dash-Receiver-Kit-Black.html?tp=3121#category-info-tab

I think this one will work.

howanicm
09-18-12, 09:27 PM
Anyone?

catch2otwo
09-18-12, 10:25 PM
So i followed your link, and it looks to be the same thing. I started browsing and it seems pretty simply to put in a stereo. Pick the one you want, buy the pac adapter to keep the chimes and thats it? All plug in play? Am I missing something? Yes I know you lose your DIC stuff but is it really that easy?

howanicm
09-18-12, 11:40 PM
I would like to know as well. It seems so based on this thread. Im just concerned about an incompatibility between a different and the bose amps and speakers.

catch2otwo
09-19-12, 10:10 AM
i used to remember reading threads which made a stereo install a pain but cant remember why. maybe it was getting a good surround for the h/u? but there seems to be a good option now.

FoD
09-19-12, 02:25 PM
Everything I've read about head unit changes being a pain dealt with trying to keep the DIC, or substituting it. Removal of the head unit isn't the hard part.

howanicm
09-19-12, 05:20 PM
If all it was, was keeping the DIC then i say forget it. I would prefer an ipod plug and some other nifty features over the DIC

josney
09-20-12, 01:26 PM
best thing i have done to my cts was getting rid of the DIC to upgrade the stereo. i did change the front door speakers also with a set of infinity's. the ipod and bluetooth make it all worth while.

howanicm
09-20-12, 04:01 PM
Sounds like its a go for me. I was just concerned with compatibility issues between the new head unit and the bose speakers.

etcts-v
09-20-12, 07:32 PM
It's an easy swap and you can find the adapter plastic surround on ebay just search CTS stereo dash kit. I have a pioneer head unit, my thread is also on here a few down.

howanicm
09-20-12, 09:15 PM
It's an easy swap and you can find the adapter plastic surround on ebay just search CTS stereo dash kit. I have a pioneer head unit, my thread is also on here a few down.

How much was your wiring harness adapter thing? I went on crutchfield and they sent me a link to one that was like $120. It said it retains all the chimes and stuff. Is this necessary?

etcts-v
09-21-12, 02:22 AM
How much was your wiring harness adapter thing? I went on crutchfield and they sent me a link to one that was like $120. It said it retains all the chimes and stuff. Is this necessary?

I actually didn't use a wiring harness, just soldered connections off the factory harness (power, ground, accessory) using a wiring diagram. All my speakers are running off 4 different amps which are connected to my head unit by pre-amp lines and direct speaker wires from the amps to each speaker. If you don't want to go this route, I believe you will need to run lines from the headunit to the factory Bose system in the trunk which if memory serves me right is where the speaker lines terminate.

I haven't noticed any missing chimes myself, at least none that I was paying attention to in the first place! haha

howanicm
09-21-12, 06:30 AM
So you completely bypassed the bose shit? I ended up doing that in my 350z because after i changed the head unit it has a static hum when no music was playing and was irritating. But i dont really feel like doing all that, just wamt to swap the HU. Did you cut off the factory stereo plug that goes into the OEM HU?

etcts-v
09-21-12, 05:23 PM
So you completely bypassed the bose shit? I ended up doing that in my 350z because after i changed the head unit it has a static hum when no music was playing and was irritating. But i dont really feel like doing all that, just wamt to swap the HU. Did you cut off the factory stereo plug that goes into the OEM HU?

Yeah Bose is completely history now, that was actually one of my first mods when I bought the car in 08. I didn't cut the harness off completely, I just snipped the power, ground and accessory wires and left everything else intact. My previous setup I actually ran power directly from the battery I have in the trunk to the head unit, grounded the ground to the chassis and ran an accessory wire from the Climate control in the rear fuse panel drivers side. However somewhere along those paths I was picking up serious noise so this new unit I just put in I went to the factory lines.

I've tried several different setup a over the years. First setup I pulled the factory Bose speakers and used a JL clean sweep off the Bose amp to two alpine amps with a JL W6 and components in the fronts and rear. That worked great until the damn sunroof drain lines in the trunk flooded an destroyed all my components I had installed in the spare tire well (actually happened to me twice, ruined 2 sets of amps and cleansweep systems)

Next setup I modified the stock nav unit and put a single din popout aftermarket unit where the 6 disc changer is, added another set of components, in the rear arm rest, new center channel in dash and upgraded to a JL 12" w7 with 1 mono amp and three four channel amps all alpine.

Finally I just pulled the entire stock unit out as I realized I never used it anyways after a year of driving and swapped in a different pioneer double fun head unit. now the system is clean, loud, and pro with lots of features like Bluetooth, app support, navigation, 1tb hard drive stuffed with media, headrest monitors (never use them haha), DVD, pandora, Netflix, hd radio, integrated Dash Command app in the head unit for gauges and checking/clearing Check engine lights and more!

My recommendation is you pull the Bose, it's complete crap IMO. You can upgrade every speaker to decent aftermarkets for $200 and trash that worthless 8" rattle can sub in the trunk, you will b much happier with the quality if your tunage!

etcts-v
09-21-12, 05:25 PM
Sorry for spelling errors damn wrote that on my iPhone! Damn autocorrect...

howanicm
09-21-12, 06:08 PM
Damn. Thats way more work than i want to do. The sound quality i can live with but that oem head unit i cant. I mostly want to be able to play mp3 cds and connect my phone for pandora.

03GrayDTS
09-24-12, 08:13 PM
Typically there is an adapter/harness that basically converts the audio from hi-level to low level outputs that will work with the Bose amps (vehicle specific adapter). If done right, you shouldn't have any issues. It's pretty much adapt new head unit to Bose amps, or bypass it and run whole new stuff. That's pretty much the deal.

howanicm
09-24-12, 10:19 PM
Typically there is an adapter/harness that basically converts the audio from hi-level to low level outputs that will work with the Bose amps (vehicle specific adapter). If done right, you shouldn't have any issues. It's pretty much adapt new head unit to Bose amps, or bypass it and run whole new stuff. That's pretty much the deal.

Thats the answer i was looking for! Thanks. I didnt want to spend $600+ on a deck and it dosent work properly ha

carlson_mn
09-24-12, 10:22 PM
Damn. Thats way more work than i want to do. The sound quality i can live with but that oem head unit i cant. I mostly want to be able to play mp3 cds and connect my phone for pandora.

You need to get a PA15-Vette and it sounds like you will be happy with the stock stereo. Get over the need to play CD's, lol. Play the MP3's from your ipod and if you have an iPhone you can stream pandora right into the stock stereo. I added my 15" sub, pulled out the bose, and the system sounds pretty good now. I can live with the bose mids and highs, they aren't bad, aren't great, but are acceptable.

howanicm
09-25-12, 02:17 AM
For some reason my car dosent go into xm stations. Also is the sound quality as good as a CD with the pa vette?

TallGuyJ
11-12-12, 04:36 AM
Probably been discussed since the car came out, but has anyone been able to replace the head unit and keep all the dic info? Because I actually use it often lol. Also for those who have an after market unit, how can you tell when your traction control or stability control system comes on? is there another way to tell besides looking at the screen on the stock unit?

----------

Probably been discussed since the car came out, but has anyone been able to replace the head unit and keep all the dic info? Because I actually use it often lol. Also for those who have an after market unit, how can you tell when your traction control or stability control system comes on? is there another way to tell besides looking at the screen on the stock unit? ()

Scott2012
11-13-12, 10:07 PM
There is a post out there.... Someone installed a basic CTS unit, had the dealer program it in. The Top screen is left in and radio cut out- modified to fit an after market double din. One would need the PAC unti to keep bose/on star/chimes... Or just bypass it all

The only thing holding me back.... Not sure about the cost and hassle (above) and not sure I want to go w/o the diagnostics in the stock radio

TallGuyJ
11-14-12, 04:47 PM
What about that app on the android marker Torque pro OBD 2., has anyone had any experience with it? Does it have all the dic functions we have on our stock unit?

ejn
11-17-12, 05:07 PM
There are many posts about keeping the DIC. Somewhere there is a good guide/tutorial on how to do. Search for "retain dic mod" it will be in the results somewhere. Basically you will remove most of your old existing stock radio. It requires cutting a circuit board and cutting up your trim piece to fit the new double din. Quite a bit of work. I plan on starting it soon on my CTS soon. Waiting on all the parts including a new stock stereo to hack up.

repnatl
12-15-12, 04:35 PM
I've been using the Bluetooth obdII and torque pro app and it does 99% of what the stock dic in my 06 srx. Things not included would be oil life trans life tire pressure and i dont think it shows voltage. But other than that i love the check engine alerts. Still have my stock radio for now.

rbsesq
12-15-12, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know if this unit is compatible with a Windows phone? (Windows 7). Having a hard time figuring this one out. Windows phones don't have Pandora, but instead have Slacker Radio. Not sure if anyone has run into this issue.

Wingsfan4life
12-22-12, 08:25 AM
I use Torque as well, good app to use..and I believe it does show Voltage...I was playing with different gauges and thought I saw one

RyRidesMotoX
12-29-12, 05:32 PM
What about that app on the android marker Torque pro OBD 2., has anyone had any experience with it? Does it have all the dic functions we have on our stock unit?

Its a free app. I use it all the time to clear my CAT inefficiency codes cuz I have been too lazy to tune the car after the headers went on. It shows pretty much anything you can through the ECU via the OBD2 port. I believe that the BCM (body control module) does safety stuff like TMPS, ABS, AIRBAGS, and other stuff so you won't have access to that. Anything engine related though, its on there.

DDS rollin a CTS
01-04-13, 08:16 PM

Will this app display the "fuel used" function from the DIC? That and the outside temp are the two I use the most. Having run out of gas twice I just don't trust my gas gauge past 1/2 tank but don't want to fuel up that often.

Brad1970
01-07-13, 11:53 AM
Seems like I read somewhere that if you lose the DIC, then you lose the ability to go into competition mode or some similar functions. I may be wrong on this as it was in a thread I read A WHILE back. Maybe they didn't know what they were talking about. Do you still have that function?

ZackLakatos
01-13-13, 12:18 PM
where did you find the trim piece for around the head unit??

Scott Sanda
03-10-14, 03:17 PM
The trim piece is from crutchfield. It will do single or double DIN. I just put one in my 04, with a Kenwood double din. Used an easy hook up adapter kit from crutchfield to keep my chimes, and hook up directly to the factory Bose harness/amp.

Looks great, works well. Great, detailed instructions.

Scott

rjoffe
03-10-14, 05:39 PM
Ooops (ignore me)

Abadus
03-13-14, 01:01 AM
I actually have this setup in my car. http://www.kawal.net/bluetooth.htm I talked to the guy and he made a custom harness for me because I wanted the female plug. Now I think he sells this as a package. I Bluetooth my phone into my head unit and it works great. I just pump it though the XM. My only real beef now is that I have really really crappy lows. I think my sub is blown. I plan on replacing it this summer just have to decide what speaker I want in there. I would prefer a 12 but I think a 10 in a simple drop in.

Lot of hassle to replace the head unit. This add on got me 90% of where I want to be.

ctsv247
03-17-14, 04:33 PM
Think I'm going Kenwood because (as far as I'm being told) is the only aftermarket head unit using genuine Garmin GPS.

Of all the functions I regret loosing, the volt meter is the only one I'll try and replace with some sort of aftermarket gauge....I know when my oil needs changing, I understand that it could be icy outside, I know when to turn on my headlights and I could really care less about the rest of it.....won't miss my factory head unit which has nice, "no chip" buttons and a clean screen if anybody is looking for a replacement!!!!!

fweasel
03-17-14, 10:16 PM
I like my Kenwood, Garmin NAV was one of the leading reasons I went that route. Persoanlly, I think the base model CTS radio conversion looks better and more OEM than using the Metra kit for a double din install.

FWIW, just got $600 for my OEM head and GPS DVD unit on eBay. That's pays for a lot of aftermarket goodies.

mackey
03-19-14, 09:43 PM
weren't you goin to post a how-to? :D

fweasel
03-20-14, 10:19 PM
weren't you goin to post a how-to? :D:lol: who me? I have two little kids, I'd never agree to that. I do plan on taking pictures as soon as it warms up outside. Everything I did has been well documented in other threads already.

mackey
03-24-14, 04:31 PM
musta misunderstood. :D

would love to see pics. Also are you controlling volume with the CTS volume controls or from the aftermarket head unit?

fweasel
03-25-14, 01:45 AM
My aftermarket head unit controls everything. The CTS radio is in place for cosmetics and the DIC functions only.

ctsv247
03-25-14, 10:27 AM
fweasel, which Kenwood did you go with? I've been looking at the 890hd listed below. What kind of phone are you using? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-eXcelon-DNX890HD-Garmin-Navigation-Bluetooth-AM-FM-CD-DVD-USB-BRAND-NEW-/271332705778?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item3f2cb085f2

fweasel
03-25-14, 03:52 PM
I have the excelon 890HD, very happy with it. The parametric EQ gives you enough control to tweak the system and most of the normally buried menus are easy to get to with hot buttons. The ergonomics are better than the last two excelon double din models I've owned and the current version of Garmin Nav software is hands down the best I've used to date. I was even able to edit the start-up and background images with a CTS-V logo.

I use a Galaxy S3 and the bluetooth phone part of that works flawlessly. I use an old 160gb iPod classic hardwired with the accessory cable as the primary source of MP3 files. Sounds better than bluetooth link on other head units I've used, search function is the best I've seen in a while, but it's a little slow to skip between multiple songs. Not sure if that's a refresh problem caused by the older model iPod, the huge number of files I keep on that iPod, or simply the data speed employed by the Kendwood iPod interface. I've been meaning to try a newer iPod Touch to see if that changes any thing, but its a minor annoyance that hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about.

My only real complaint has been the buggy Pandora App integration. Again, unsure if it's a Kenwood issue, Android, Samsung Galaxy, or Pandora issue. I was hoping to use it more, but rarely even bother with it.

ctsv247
03-25-14, 04:03 PM
Nice looking setup! I like the way you combined the 890 with CTS DIC but I probably won't even bother.

I'm looking at the Crutchfield reviews on this HU and I see "its been freezing up" and "it takes it a full 60 seconds to boot up" problems but I'm suspecting that these reports may be skewed because people report problems long before they do success.

Isn't there an e-brake bypass that you need to perform when wiring this unit in order to allow the user to enter new GPS destinations while the car is moving?? Someone noted that having to pull over to work with the GPS was a pita...

Last thing, does it look like this ebay kit would have everything I need to install this?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo-Installation-Dash-Kit-Combo-SD-DD-Harness-Interface-Antenna-CA2-/360884137068?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item54065eec6c&vxp=mtr

Thanks for your time!

mackey
03-25-14, 04:16 PM
Isn't there an e-brake bypass that you need to perform when wiring this unit in order to allow the user to enter new GPS destinations while the car is moving?? it's usually a ground wire that is wired to your parking/e-brake. most people just ground it out.
The CTS radio is in place for cosmetics and the DIC functions only.good to know though for me, i'd rather the volume control come from the CTS since i'll be using a tablet with no steering controls. i'll have to figure out how to get it to work or add a separate control in place of the volume knob.

fweasel
03-25-14, 04:51 PM
I'm looking at the Crutchfield reviews on this HU and I see "its been freezing up" and "it takes it a full 60 seconds to boot up" problems

Isn't there an e-brake bypass that you need to perform when wiring this unit in order to allow the user to enter new GPS destinations while the car is moving?? Someone noted that having to pull over to work with the GPS was a pita...

Last thing, does it look like this ebay kit would have everything I need to install this?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo-Installation-Dash-Kit-Combo-SD-DD-Harness-Interface-Antenna-CA2-/360884137068?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item54065eec6c&vxp=mtr
Older firmware, no longer an issue, or none that I've encountered with the most recent version installed at the factory.

Ground the parking brake wire. Nav still has a one time safety bypass acknowledgement, but after that, all features are available while driving, including watching the rear view camera! :lol:

Not sure what you're going to need for your car. I used a steering wheel control adapter to keep those buttons active, an ipod cable add-on, an On-Star add-on to keep that active with the dash center speaker, and then the usual power and line level wires run to the trunk where all of my amplifiers and crossovers are installed.

ctsv247
03-28-14, 09:25 AM
I too was lucky enough to sell my stock NAV unit for $600 on ebay.

Based on that I purchased a used Kenwood 890HD.

I chose this unit because it has all the features I need and it has Garmin Nav which I am used to. I bought used ($630) because I'm cheap and because ebay offers a warranty ( http://pages.ebay.com/warranty/squaretrade.html#q2 ) that gets as good reviews as the factory Kenwood warranty and I have 30 days to buy it....put the stereo in, if I don't like, turn around and resale without taking much of a hit, if I do like it, spend the $165 for the 2 year warranty and call it a day. The biggest challenge (that would affect me anyway) with aftermarket HUs is there ability to pair up with certain phones. Who's to really say for sure if this HU and my Iphone are going to play nice...only time will really tell.

For installation kits, I went with....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo-Installation-Dash-Kit-Combo-SD-DD-GRAY-Interface-Antenna-CA11-/360811941016?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item5402114c98&vxp=mtr

not the.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Stereo-Installation-Dash-Kit-Combo-SD-DD-AMP-Interface-Antenna-CA17-/360882807184?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACTS&hash=item54064aa190&vxp=mtr

because the first on has a nice detail embossed in it that really tends to breakup the sea of plastic created when you take out the stock NAV.

It will be at least a week before I can get around to installing this so I will take a few pics of the install if anyone is interested...it should be straight foward.

disclaimer....this picture is not of my car but hopefully, that's what it will look like when done....

fweasel
03-28-14, 07:56 PM
If you're worried about compatibility, flash the unit with the latest firmware before messing with any settings.

I just traded in my 890HD for the new 891HD. Should have it installed in a couple of weeks.

thebigjimsho
03-30-14, 06:02 PM
A nav with no buttons just looks too weird in this car...

ctsv247
03-30-14, 06:57 PM
The only thing weirder than the way the car looks without the stock nav is the way it works with it....

LS6-Cts
04-01-14, 12:02 AM
I was looking at a wiring diagram of the ebrake switch .I saw that the switch was the ground ebrake (which would be the light blue wire as the power ?) And if grounding it out.... wouldnt it leave the ebrake light on at all times ...curiosity ...im actually in the thoughts of bypassing to use dvd or navi while car is in motion