: Garage kept vs. non-garage kept

ZeroOctane
09-13-12, 02:49 AM
Got into this discussion with a friend the other day. My Seville has been garaged for most of it's life and I feel like that has contributed [significantly] to the fact that it's still here 20 years later and in pretty good shape too. He felt that besides preventing scratches and minor cosmetic issue's a garage does little else and garage kept shouldn't be given much weight. How do you guys feel about this, especially those who've had a lot of cars over the years.

77CDV
09-13-12, 02:53 AM
Garaged > not garaged

Aron9000
09-13-12, 03:05 AM
In the sunny south it makes a huge difference. I can guarantee your Seville wouldn't have any clearcoat left on it if it were parked 20 years in the sun. The leather would be all dried, cracked, and sun damaged, the dash would definitely be warped six ways to sunday. If it sat in the shade under a tree, its going to have all kinds of paint blemishes from bird crap, tree sap, hell where I live with all the severe weather the tree might have done fallen on it and done it in after 20 years.

A good carport where it is sheltered from the elements helps a good bit, but you still can't keep the neighborhood cat from climbing on it, punk kids from vandalizing it, etc.

Another thing indoor storage helps with is the preservation of the rubber parts, weatherstripping, window sweeps, hoses, etc. That stuff takes a beating with the elements, sun, and temperature change

ben.gators
09-13-12, 03:58 AM
I parked my Seville two years in Arizona and Hawaii sun, and the clear coat of the roof, trunk, and the front hood is gone! :( I think salty dust has a big effect too...

brandondeleo
09-13-12, 03:59 AM
It depends on your climate... Garaged is almost always better, especially if your car is particularly susceptible to weathering like convertibles. It's not a huge deal if a car's not garage kept, but it's always a plus when it is.

The-Dullahan
09-13-12, 06:25 AM
There's a reason companies specializing in insuring classic automobiles prefer you keep your vehicle in the garage.

EcSTSatic
09-13-12, 09:18 AM
It shouldn't even be a discussion. Your friend is suffering from garage-envy.

bigm57ict
09-13-12, 09:46 AM
I, too, suffer from that ailment.
Here in the midwest, it's not too bad. The sun is your biggest enemy.

M5eater
09-13-12, 09:59 AM
+1 to all above comments.
Unless you're trading in a vehicle every 4 years, UV rays kills everything. It's scientific fact.

Yellow headlights, clearcoat burning, interior fading...dirt/particle accumulation (leaves and such) in areas where they fall in.

in my particular case, there's a giant walnut tree that likes to put dings in the roof or suddenly drop 100lb branches on your rear driver side quarter panel.

Garage's area also climate controled most of the time, Dry, tempreate amosphere's are much better for plastic and organic components, or even metal parts. The reason my cast-iron exhaust manifolds and brake rotors haven't flash rusted is because she's in the garage. period.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-13-12, 10:08 AM
If you love it, you've gotta garage it. :)

Submariner409
09-13-12, 10:29 AM
Garage. No contest.

Stingroo
09-13-12, 10:33 AM
Clearly, he is jelly.

dkozloski
09-13-12, 12:29 PM
In and out of a heated garage in a subzero climate fills the car with condensation. It's better for the mechanical stuff but promotes having a soggy interior. The car is best garaged with the windows down to let the interior dry out between trips.

Stingroo
09-13-12, 12:36 PM
Now that I had never thought of.

Dkoz, do you garage both of your vehicles?

Jesda
09-13-12, 01:13 PM
The way I see it, imagine if you lived outside versus having shelter.

97EldETC
09-13-12, 01:25 PM
I have to park my ETC outside in the driveway. My mother's massive Outlook and IS take up the garage. Even my dad has to park his convertible outside, we both have covers, his is always covered, but I can't spend that time to tear mine off in the morning because I have school. What's worse, we live in the tip of a hill right under that CA sun. At least there are no birds!

The-Dullahan
09-13-12, 01:37 PM
Actually, yellow headlamps are not. My concern. Only my Expeditions have plastic lenses (everything else has glass) and the older one still has clear lenses. I clean it MAYBE once a year and Florida has a lot of sun. The paint is still great, except a small spot, which got tree sap on it when it was once lent to a half sister.

I hardly care about that one enough to put it in a Garage. I wish I could fit the Cadillac beside the Lincoln in the garage, but the garage is only just over 20 feet. :(

creeker
09-13-12, 02:56 PM
I have a good sized carport, but it still only holds one car, lately I have been parking my 92 eldo. in it, I figure the 07 magnum is younger and can handle
the weather better, the eldo. is in very nice condition, I want to keep it that way.

rodnok01
09-13-12, 03:24 PM
Def carport or garage is way to long life and good looking car. Even if you park under shade trees it can't but help(except for the limbs of course). I also use a frt window sun shade in the PA whenever possible. Of course some of the worst shape cars I've seen have been parked under big trees... go figure. Like others have said if you don't plan on owning it more than 3 or 4 years it's not a huge difference though. The stray cats in the area have scratched my neighbors cars like you wouldn't believe.

orconn
09-13-12, 03:34 PM
I think a lot depends on the climate that the car is exposed to and especially the amount of direct sunlight. My 1976 Seville was very rarely out in the open. As my daily driver it was garaged both at night but also during the day while parked during working hours. When it was subject to heavy sunlight it was only for a few hours on weekends. After 8 years the car still looked and felt like it was a year old. The interior was beautiful, even though clear coating had not in use the exterior paint, chrome and vinyl top were all in excellent condition. People couldn't believe it was an eight year old car.

The car's vintage also has a lot to do with how well a car stands up to exposure to the elements. Cars built before the 1990's seem to be more susceptible to smog and sun damage than cars built later. My 1995 Seville STS still looks great with only the driver's seat showing signs of wear (a re-dye would take care of that) and this car has been housed both inside and outside, but usually in the shade.

A car cover can go a long way in helping to preserve a car, both in garage and in outside storage. My 1964 Jaguar was kept in a heated garage most of its' later life. However, at two different times it was necessary for it to be kept outside in shady and car covered storage. The car cover really did its' job and I noticed not deterioration during these enforced exiles to the elements. This is saying something, because Jags of the same vintage are very susceptible to deterioration. When I sold it four years ago the consensus was that it was one of the nicest E-type "survivors" anyone had ever seen!

So I would say that keeping a car outside in a moderate climate, with care taken to keep it covered and out of the direct sunlight for prolonged periods is not seriously detrimental. However, I would also agree with those that say "garage" kept is probably superior in the long run!

creeker
09-13-12, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=rodnok01;3085503]Def carport or garage is way to long life and good looking car. Even if you park under shade trees it can't but help(except for the limbs of course). I also use a frt window sun shade in the PA whenever possible. Of course some of the worst shape cars I've seen have been parked under big trees... go figure. Like others have said if you don't plan on owning it more than 3 or 4 years it's not a huge difference though. The stray cats in the area have scratched my neighbors cars like you wouldn't believe.[/QUOTE

I have two driveways at my place,one is the carport and the other has an ornamental "umbrella" large shade tree with small leaves (which seem to be always shedding
and dropping pitch, it would be an ideal shade tree except for these two problems.

EChas3
09-13-12, 05:25 PM
I have to laugh at so many garages around here. They are so full of junk that the family's cars are relegated to the driveway.

Cars are most peoples' second most valuable real property. Leaving them out in the elements, doesn't seem smart.

orconn
09-13-12, 05:38 PM
^^^ Yes, but you have to keep all that "had to have" extraneous junk that resulted from "recreational shopping" (and probably still owe money on) safe from the elements!

drewsdeville
09-13-12, 06:22 PM
When most people's cars sit outside 8+ hours a day while at work - more often than not in big, shadeless parking lots, in the hottest temps and most direct afternoon sunlight the day will offer, the time it sits at home is negligible, in my opinion. The hours when most cars are parked home (evening, overnight), really don't do any damage at all. Who cares if it's covered or not during those hours?

In my experience, if the car recieves proper care, it will fare relatively the same if it's parked in a garage or not. As usual, you can only notice the biggest difference between garaged and not if neglect was a factor.

77CDV
09-13-12, 11:54 PM
Thought it was a pecan tree? Or do you have two nut trees trying to do your car in? :lol:

+1 to all above comments.
Unless you're trading in a vehicle every 4 years, UV rays kills everything. It's scientific fact.

Yellow headlights, clearcoat burning, interior fading...dirt/particle accumulation (leaves and such) in areas where they fall in.

in my particular case, there's a giant walnut tree that likes to put dings in the roof or suddenly drop 100lb branches on your rear driver side quarter panel.

Garage's area also climate controled most of the time, Dry, tempreate amosphere's are much better for plastic and organic components, or even metal parts. The reason my cast-iron exhaust manifolds and brake rotors haven't flash rusted is because she's in the garage. period.

ryannel2003
09-14-12, 12:05 AM
A good example of this would be my STS and my 323i. The STS was garage kept for its first 8 years and the paint was immaculate. There were very few scratches and with constant waxing looked new until its last day. On the other hand my BMW hasn't been garage kept and it shows... the clearcoat has small cracking in a few places that will require a repaint in the future, there is some scratching and some door dings. Overall, I would have preferred to buy a garage kept BMW but they are hard to find in better shape and harder to find for a good price.

Gary Veeeee
09-14-12, 01:34 AM
No matter where you live a garage would be the best place for storage even in the mildest climates there's always a chance of some type of damage caused by normal activity beyond your control. Such as a bird taking a dump,kids playing sports, a car pulling in your driveway, things falling off a tree as discussed before there's numerous things that could happen to the car besides the weather elements. A good breathable soft fabric car cover will give the car protection against weather elements, however you still have the chance of damage from activities going on around the vehicle. with a garage you're eliminating a lot of those factors and of course weather elements. Finally if you buy an older home before you park your brand-new Harley that is less than two weeks old. Always check to see if your garage door springs have safty wire through them. I think you can figure the rest out, garage door springs are like armor piercing rockets and have no mercy on any objects that may be in their way, such as a nicely painted new Harley motorcycle tank.

CadillacLuke24
09-14-12, 02:29 AM
Ouch. Methinks manual doors with track locks to hold them up would be great for worrisome individuals such as myself.

Hope you got the Harley re-tanked quickly and cheaply. Damn garage door spring anyway.

talismandave
09-14-12, 03:10 AM
A friend of mine who is missing most of the muscle on his forearm will attest to the force of those springs.
As to the garage vs outdoor, my folks had a heated garage for about ten years. For a daily driver in Wisconsin winters it was nice to hop into a warm car to go to work. Not so nice when you drive home covered with slush filled with road salt, then it melted leaving concentrated salt on wet finish to work it's magic on the metal. Next home they went unheated garage with a carport. For a collector car, no debate, for a DD, I'll vote carport.

tsgrpr97
09-14-12, 03:37 AM
When most people's cars sit outside 8+ hours a day while at work - more often than not in big, shadeless parking lots, in the hottest temps and most direct afternoon sunlight the day will offer, the time it sits at home is negligible, in my opinion. The hours when most cars are parked home (evening, overnight), really don't do any damage at all. Who cares if it's covered or not during those hours?

Overnight in a garage at least you don't have the dew that collects on outside cars.

I think I might store mine in the best conditions possible... :cool:

I work overnight, during that time it sits in a guarded lot in the dark. Then spends the entire day in a dark garage. I guess the only downside to that is a higher load on the battery and charging system - whenever its driven the lights are always on.

truckinman
09-14-12, 03:46 AM
I hate that I have to leave my car all week in a dusty ass parking lot. I get back every week to find a brown on black STS. Chrissy doesnt understand my infatuation with keeping my car clean and washing it every weekend. For one, I've heard that much dust can leave little microscopic scratches in the clear coat if on to long.

CadillacLuke24
09-14-12, 01:52 PM
:lol:

This is my main worry if I get a gf/wife.

She won't understand. :helpless:

orconn
09-14-12, 01:59 PM
There is an easy remedy for your fear, Luke. Pick her up at the local drive-in. Or look for a girl with her nose pressed to the show window of your local car dealership on Saturday night. Set attractiveness and sex appeal aside and go for "passion for cars!"

CadillacLuke24
09-14-12, 03:20 PM
Hahahahaha maybe I'll get lucky and find one with all three!!

truckinman
09-14-12, 04:02 PM
Hahahahaha maybe I'll get lucky and find one with all three!!

No....you won't.

orconn
09-14-12, 05:23 PM
^^^ With Lukes attitude and soon to be attained education he may well hit the jackpot! (A word to the wise, Luke, it helps to keep an eye out!).

talismandave
09-14-12, 05:49 PM
:lol:

This is my main worry if I get a gf/wife.

She won't understand. :helpless:

If that is your main worry, you know nothing of this thing called marriage.:helpless:

Koooop
09-15-12, 01:40 AM
Got into this discussion with a friend the other day. My Seville has been garaged for most of it's life and I feel like that has contributed [significantly] to the fact that it's still here 20 years later and in pretty good shape too. He felt that besides preventing scratches and minor cosmetic issue's a garage does little else and garage kept shouldn't be given much weight. How do you guys feel about this, especially those who've had a lot of cars over the years.

Your friend is an idiot.
Get a new friend with a brain.

truckinman
09-15-12, 02:52 AM
If that is your main worry, you know nothing of this thing called marriage.:helpless:

Lmao! Needle in a hay stack. I'm only engaged and I know this. Lol. Come march, I'll be experiencing it full force with both feet DEEP in the water that most call holy matrimony. Lol.

On a side not, I do love her more than anything in this world, so that helps a bit!

gdwriter
09-15-12, 03:25 AM
In my neighborhood, mine is one of the few where the cars are parked in the garage. I have a small shed in the backyard for the lawnmower and other assorted crap. The primary purpose for the garage is for parking the cars.

As The-Dullahan mentioned, a garage is often a requirement for classic car insurance. It is for my policy for Betty.

And I know from experience that parking in the garage does make a difference. After I bought Sabrina, I still had Cruella for more than a year before I gave her to my niece, but she lost her spot in the garage and was parked in the driveway. The driver's side quarter panel had been repainted at some point before my ownership, and the color was always slightly off compared to the original factory paint, but after a year parked outside, the difference was much more noticeable. The old girl has been since been exposed to two North Dakota winters and the clear coat is now coming off the hood. But this is also now a 22-year-old car, too.

Sabrina is now 12 years old with 134,000 miles on her, but she was obviously well cared for before I bought her 3 1/2 years ago, and I have always taken good care of my cars. Most people would think the car is 4-5 years old, tops.

CadillacLuke24
09-15-12, 04:10 PM

This is true, but believe me, my ol' man has been warning me since I wasa bout 5 "Don't ever try and figure 'em out. You NEVER will." :histeric:

talismandave
09-15-12, 10:28 PM
Your friend is an idiot.
Get a new friend with a brain.

...don't sugar coat it Koooop, we can take the truth, tell us what you really think.

....On a side not, I do love her more than anything in this world, so that helps a bit!
I assume you mean other than Cadillac's!:duck:

tsgrpr97
09-15-12, 10:43 PM
This is true, but believe me, my ol' man has been warning me since I wasa bout 5 "Don't ever try and figure 'em out. You NEVER will." :histeric:

Yup... when you have no idea what's going on your best bet is to:
1. Remain calm and SILENT :)
2. Spend the rest of the evening in the garage with your "old granddad"

Its gotten me through many weekends of married bliss

Koooop
09-15-12, 11:11 PM
...don't sugar coat it Koooop, we can take the truth, tell us what you really think.

I assume you mean other than Cadillac's!:duck:

I'll try, dunno if I can bite my tongue.

EChas3
09-15-12, 11:58 PM
Yup... when you have no idea what's going on your best bet is to:
1. Remain calm and SILENT :)
2. Spend the rest of the evening in the garage with your "old granddad"

Just make sure "Old Grandad" doesn't start doing your talking for you. He's loud and sometimes dangerous.