: Cadillac dealership or other mechanic

golfin0304
09-12-12, 09:14 AM
My CPO warranty just ended on my 2006 STS. Do you guys still use the dealer or another mechanic when something goes wrong? Do other mechanics know how to work on the STS?

DarkMingBlueSTS
09-12-12, 09:41 AM
I would say it depends on what goes wrong...normal mechanical motor/trans problems I would take it to somebody that you trust but anything electrical I would take to the dealer...just my opinion

KRSTS
09-12-12, 09:52 AM
These cars are so complex and require so many special tools. I would take it to a dealer you trust if you want it fixed right the first time. It may cost you more but I think it is worth it in the long run, especially if your going to keep the car. You can certainly have routine maintenance done elsewhere. Just my opinion.:D

curtc
09-12-12, 01:10 PM
Yeah, easy stuff I'll take to a local shop with cheaper labor rates, such as the motor mount I just had replaced for $454...Cadillac dealer wanted almost $800 for the same job.

But like others have stated I would take it to a GM dealer for anything complex.

EChas3
09-12-12, 10:26 PM
^^^^ Good points all.

Find a good independant shop close and keep (or build) a relationship with the best Cadillac dealer nearby. I can't recommend other GM dealers unless you already trust them.

The 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum has links to most common stuff.

Enjoy the ride.

Lifer
09-14-12, 05:35 PM
Minor example - 2006 STS V8. On its 4th dead battery since build of Oct 2005. All warranty replacements. Dealer wants $250 for a new Delco battery. It is a nice dealership, comfortable waiting rooms, nice decor. Has to be paid for somehow.

Got an as-good batter at my Walmart store. $108 with tax. I put it in - fits fine.

Just a minor example.