: Reduced HP During Break In Period?

toddrossnan
09-11-12, 02:33 PM
I just picked up my 2012 CTS-V Coupe with 58 miles on it and am very happy. However, I must say that although the car is fast, it doesn't necessarily feel like 556hp.... I've driven many zo6's, standard vette's, and M3's and am wondering if maybe the computer is limited power or boost during the break in period.... It feels like 375-450hp if I had to guess. Anyone know for sure or have insight?

FLTRI
09-11-12, 02:40 PM
I asked the same thing, but in reverse. At about 1500 miles my car seemed to notably increase in power. I asked about it here, and was told there is no torque limiting or anything else on a new car to account for this. However, there was more than one person who said they felt the same power increase as they added a few thousand miles...

quikag
09-11-12, 02:49 PM
Engine will loosen up, but the speed is deceptive in the V since it's fairly well insulated and quiet. That said, I don't believe there is any reduced power program.

Is your boost gauge going up to 9psi? If it's at or around 9psi, then you'll be at 556hp as that is an SAE number.

toddrossnan
09-11-12, 02:51 PM
Great to know! Thanks for the reply. Just curios, what kind of gas mileage do you average? I'm getting 9.6 after 2 tanks with mixed hwy/city driving.

toddrossnan
09-11-12, 02:52 PM
The boost hasn't gotten close to 9psi... It actually barely moves at all. Only under hard acceleration have i seen it move

M5eater
09-11-12, 02:55 PM
sealing should improve over the course of the break-in period which may help a bit. Otherwise you shouldn't be hammering it during breakin, I would say it's far more resonable to assume this is a placebo versus there being an appreciable or measureable change in power output.

The other thing to consider is that unlike the metioned vehicles, power delivery in the V is buttery smooth, it's not visceral, and it's a 4200lb vehicle.

my B5 S4 with 278awhp kicked me back in the chair harder than the CTS-V does, and it (litertally) had just a little more than half the power.

FLTRI
09-11-12, 02:59 PM
Reference mileage, I get 12-14 in town, and 18 or so if I'm on the freeway. My lifetime average according to my OnStar app is 16MPG...

M5eater
09-11-12, 03:04 PM
Reference mileage, I get 12-14 in town, and 18 or so if I'm on the freeway. My lifetime average according to my OnStar app is 16MPG...

wrong thread! D=

quikag
09-11-12, 03:15 PM
It won't move much, if at all, under part throttle. Only under full throttle should the gauge get close to 9psi. Just watch the speedo next time you floor it for several seconds. It'll be climbing plenty fast.

M5eater
09-11-12, 03:23 PM
It won't move much, if at all, under part throttle. Only under full throttle should the gauge get close to 9psi. Just watch the speedo next time you floor it for several seconds. It'll be climbing plenty fast.

agreed.. in N/A form this engine makes > 100 HP more than a 3.6.. it takes a lot of 'go fast' from the pedal to get it to blow.

Crystal Red CTS-V
09-11-12, 04:09 PM
As others have said, the "feel" of the power is deceptive as compared to a Z06. My Z06 is much more "brutal" whereas the V is more "smooth" in its power delivery. Both are VERY fast!

WA 2 FST
09-11-12, 04:34 PM
I just picked up my 2012 CTS-V Coupe with 58 miles on it and am very happy. However, I must say that although the car is fast, it doesn't necessarily feel like 556hp.... I've driven many zo6's, standard vette's, and M3's and am wondering if maybe the computer is limited power or boost during the break in period.... It feels like 375-450hp if I had to guess. Anyone know for sure or have insight?

Is yours an auto or a manual transmission. If its an auto, you need to drive it in Sport Mode. Otherwise, from a standing start or low-speed roll-on, you are in 2nd gear all the time. Put it in Sport mode, lay on it from a rolling punch at 5-10mph and I think you will change your mind.

I felt the same way until I figured this out (after about 100+ miles), so I just wanted to throw this out there. Ignore completely if you have a stick tranny.

garfin
09-11-12, 07:13 PM
I've had a couple of new LSx engines, beginning with LS1 '98 Camaro SS and the LSA in my current V is the latest. As well, different friends have experienced breaking in new LS2 and LS3 engines. No experience (personal or by hearsay) with LS6 or LS9 motors, but there seems to be a common thread among peeps with this experience, that after a little time and mileage on the clock, (a few months, maybe 3 or 4 thousand miles, these LSx engines all of a sudden, "wake up" and come into their own. It's a common observation...

That being said, I asked a friend of mine, who is a GM exec, this exact question - whether the computer on these engines is programmed to "open up" the car after it was able to determine that a particular set of parameters had been met. His response at the time (many years ago) was, "If we did that on the cars, I wouldn't be able to tell you."

...FWIW

Best regards,

Elie

toddrossnan
09-11-12, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all of the responses! Overall, it's obviously fast enough.. I was just curious. I guess I'll have to post an update after 1500 miles and let everyone know if there is a change. Love the car!

Hotrod-Realtor
09-11-12, 09:09 PM
If you are worried about it, or just plain curious, throw it on a dyno and see what it says. If the number is too low you could take the evidence to the wife to prove why it needs to be modded. :bouncy:

Steve BigD
09-12-12, 02:57 PM
I had exactly the same feeling when I first got my new V. Now that I have 2500 miles or so it definitely does feel faster. That said I do notice that when I am first at a light and I accelerate the same way I did in my BMW540 the traffic in my rear view mirror falls very rapidly away. I don't feel the acceleration as much as I would expect from 556HP but it is really there.

Steve D
2012 Black Diamond Coupe/6M

quikag
09-12-12, 03:15 PM
Find an open highway, get to 60mph, and then floor it for 15 seconds. Let me know how fast you're going and if its 'fast enough.' :D

On the engine tune changing, that wouldn't make sense as many people with Vettes and CTS-V's, etc. dyno with very few miles on it and it's always making the stated horsepower. Some guys are crazy enough to have a car bought and immediately delivered to Ligenfelter and all the other good LSx shops. Those shops immediately throw the cars on the dyno for a baseline, sometimes with fewer than 50 miles on it. They always dyno solid horsepower numbers.

I do believe the cars overall 'loosen' up a little bit, but I think that's mostly all the drivetrain components getting broken in, so the cars can be a bit quicker with some miles on them, but I doubt the horsepower itself changes too much.

Zhariak
09-12-12, 03:27 PM
I remember one day I was driving when it was 1-2 weeks old... I was close to the break in number on the kilometers...

I remember gunning it on one straight away, it was as nice as the vehicle always had performed. Slowed down, turned at an intersection, then gunned it again, and out of nowhere 1-2 seconds after gunning it, this whole new level of acceleration and crazyness occured... It totally caught me off guard and the car had never done that before.

It was absolutely NUTS... And since then it's been standard.

I'm almost positive the cars are programmed to relax a little during break in...