: panoramic sunroof squeek fix... could it be this easy to solve?

VTKE
09-11-12, 11:14 AM
i have been one of the biggest cry babies where it comes to my ridiculously loud and obnoxious sunroof squeak and therefore felt obligated to post about my findings toward the apparent resolution... at least for the last few hundred miles. i went on a quest to locate the fastening system for the frame and discovered without having to remove any panels or the headliner that there are at least six 8mm bolts that can be accessed simply with a 3" extension and a deep well socket. there may be more i can't see, but tightening each of these moderately (all were less than tight) to truly snug has eliminated the crazy squeak. mind you, there are still Recaro rattles and a slight momentary squeak when the body flexes in awkward situations like angling over a speed bump or a sharp turn at incline, but in general, gone!!! it's nice to hear the SC "whine" again because i don't have to damage my ears with my radio turned up so loud. i'm sure someone will dispute my solution, but i'm extremely happy even if i have to repeat the process periodically. try it and enjoy... it's so nice to hear the old V8 make it's unique and intended music again :)

FFBOS
09-11-12, 11:31 AM
Where are they located

VTKE
09-11-12, 12:59 PM
Where are they located

look just above the plastic headliner molding. pull down on the soft rubber slide that sits on the headliner and look out toward the edges above the doors. you'll see the brackets and bolts to tighten. 4 black and two white on my car. i don't know how else to describe it and i can't get into it for a picture. i'll try if you need me to, but i'm sure it won't do it justice.

larry arizona
09-11-12, 08:07 PM
makes sense to me. Good find and good job. STICKY this!!!!

VTKE
09-12-12, 08:47 AM
makes sense to me. Good find and good job. STICKY this!!!!

how do you sticky it?

larry arizona
09-12-12, 08:59 AM
I think moderator needs to

Griffin337
09-12-12, 06:08 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post this.. I am going to go try it now!

WA 2 FST
09-12-12, 07:11 PM
This was the same resolution I had with a clicking front wheel ... lug nuts were not tightened to spec from factory. If they weren't even snug for the sunroof... that is ridiculous. Mine isn't squeaking, but I am going to check them. Thanks!!

JOEYCTS-V
09-13-12, 12:00 AM
look just above the plastic headliner molding. pull down on the soft rubber slide that sits on the headliner and look out toward the edges above the doors. you'll see the brackets and bolts to tighten. 4 black and two white on my car. i don't know how else to describe it and i can't get into it for a picture. i'll try if you need me to, but i'm sure it won't do it justice.

Does the plastic headliner molding need to be removed? I couldn't see where those bolts are that you were talking about. I even tried looking at it with the sunroof opened.

VTKE
09-13-12, 08:38 AM
Does the plastic headliner molding need to be removed? I couldn't see where those bolts are that you were talking about. I even tried looking at it with the sunroof opened.

no it does not. if you look out towards the doors in the back seat (for my wagon) and just about a half an inch above the headliner you'll see the bolts. they're really not difficult to see if you push the rubber strip down and get your head up in their at the right angle. they're plumb with the sunroof frame.

VTKE
09-18-12, 08:38 AM
an observation after a few hundred miles since tightening the bolts... i'm happy to say that it has greatly reduced the amount of squeaking from the sunroof, but unfortunately it has not eliminated it completely. what i do notice now is all of the other various rattles and such coming from so many places i've decided not to try to pinpoint them and just turn up the radio again. fleeting joy in my car...

thebigjimsho
10-03-12, 09:36 AM
It's ashame there is such a difference in build quality in these cars. I wish people could enjoy their Vs like I do...