: Interior Quality Issues Resolved?

dennych
09-11-12, 02:16 AM
Hey guys,

I attended the V labs last year and had a blast with the wagon. Fast forward to last week and it hit me that my current economy car is getting a bit dull. Did a whole bunch of research and reinforced how awesome this wagon was and no recent posts talked about major reliability problems. Also I didn't notice any interior issues during the Vlabs, but it probably wasn't at the top of my mind then.

So I was driving my brother's 2010 M3 while visiting parents and got a good feel for a performance car and what to expect. I know they are different vehicles, but compared to my 2005 Altima it was an interesting experience. As much as I like to joke about all BMW drivers being jerks in LA, I have to admit the interior of the M3 was spot on in terms of build quality and style and the handling was great. So I finally went to a local dealer today to test drive the CTS-V wagon in normal driving conditions. It was about 80 degrees out or so. As I remembered, the power was great, the car was comfortable, and the brakes were awesome. Dealer salesman was not very knowledgeable about the car and couldn't answer a few of my questions about the buttons and how to change the drive settings.

Now the bad stuff

1) The door on the wagon and all the sedan I checked out all emitted a creaking sound when I grasped the door. It made it feel immensely cheap and not something worthy of such an expensive and awesome car. The interior was pretty hot which probably had something to do with it but even on my cheapy altima, you don't have issues like that. Also I checked out the coupe-V door which did not have this issue.

2) The seats rocked back and forth (non recaro). It was awfully odd. Dealer said that was to absorb the acceleration.... I thought that was a bit silly.

3) sunroof cover is immensely disappointing. I was expecting the cover to be something more solid rather than a mesh, If I get one it is def without sunroof.

All in all I'm still on the fence between this and getting an M3. So my question is if you guys have experienced the first 2 issues and if there are any solutions? The door handle one seems a bit difficult to fix unless they completely change it.

neuronbob
09-11-12, 05:26 AM
My car is 3 1/2 years and 44k miles old, and I've owned it from new. I've never had the creaking door you describe. Doors slam as solidly as a vault. The sunroof cover is thin but is a non-issue. I think it is designed thus because with the double sized sunroof, there's not enough room for a solid cover to uncover both panels. The thin cover is like a shade in that it is rolled up as its retracted. My non-Recaros seats have never rocked. They did squeak a couple of years ago but the dealer fixed that.

larry arizona
09-11-12, 06:10 AM
Get the M3.

simgolfer
09-11-12, 09:47 AM
The interior of the M3 is no better than my wife's 328i. It carries its share of issues including IMHO a lack lack of style. Having said that, the V does have fit and finish issues. The AC in the Bimmer is lousy compared to the V.

JFJr
09-11-12, 10:17 AM
Now the bad stuff

1) The door on the wagon and all the sedan I checked out all emitted a creaking sound when I grasped the door. It made it feel immensely cheap and not something worthy of such an expensive and awesome car. The interior was pretty hot which probably had something to do with it but even on my cheapy altima, you don't have issues like that. Also I checked out the coupe-V door which did not have this issue.

2) The seats rocked back and forth (non recaro). It was awfully odd. Dealer said that was to absorb the acceleration.... I thought that was a bit silly.

3) sunroof cover is immensely disappointing. I was expecting the cover to be something more solid rather than a mesh, If I get one it is def without sunroof.

All in all I'm still on the fence between this and getting an M3. So my question is if you guys have experienced the first 2 issues and if there are any solutions? The door handle one seems a bit difficult to fix unless they completely change it.My car has 65,000 miles and I don't have those problems. Furthermore, I like the sunshade; it lets in just enough light for my ebony interior.

The M3 is a decent, although expensive, entry level high performance sedan. You can upgrade to the "V" later if you need more performance or just get bored with the M3.

Jud

larry arizona
09-11-12, 10:19 AM
If you are already concerned of the door handle creak and the sunshade being flimsy and you sat in an M3 and like both the door handle and sunshade in that better and the seats don't rock I am willing to bet you will be disappointed in the V and wont get over it.

If interior creaks take priority over the other features the V has to offer, by all means get the M3 and be 100% happy.

M5eater
09-11-12, 10:32 AM
As per Larry's response. There is simply no resonable situation where you'll be happy in a V if the mentioned problems bother you. The E90/E92 is a better made vehicle. period. Easier and cheaper to modify? Not a chance. Is it more solidly put together? yes. Is it more expensive to repair? YES.

All that said, if I didn't have plans to go crazy with the V after she's paid off, I would be perfectly happy in an E90, maybe even more happy than I am now. So long as it was a CPO or had an extended warranty.

If however you can overlook it's second-tier interior, and you wish to purchase one of the rarest vehicles on the planet and partake in Vagon myth and lore. Buy the V.

Razorecko
09-11-12, 11:55 AM
the '09's had the best build quality from what ive read

larry arizona
09-11-12, 12:29 PM
My 2010 V sedan is squeak free, recaros rocker free, sunroof is solid, heck my SC isolator never rattled. The only squeak I have is the Nav unit when it pops up and the interior temp is like 150F. I am sure I have the best built V that exists if you listen to this forum.

extrabolts
09-11-12, 12:56 PM
I spend some time in a M3 due to friends who own them, and the interior on the M3 is better put together. Very bland though, I do not care for the M3 interior. The aesthetics of the CTS-V interior are much better to me, but I do have odd issues that make the GM interior build quality stereotype true. The engine in our cars is very easy to work on compared to the Germans. The engine in the M3 is a fantastic engine, great sound, but in the end leaves me wanting more and modifying those is very expensive. I expect that the CTS-V will be cheaper to maintain longterm. My friend's new M3 went to the shop for a new differential just like my CTS-V did. I test drove both along with a lot of other cars and in the end am very happy with the CTS-V. If you want something to modify, it is hands down the best choice. If you want a well assembled interior, M3.

People tend to complain a lot on forums too. Coming from a 2005 Altima, you will be very happy either way!

M5eater
09-11-12, 02:47 PM
My 2010 V sedan is squeak free, recaros rocker free, sunroof is solid, heck my SC isolator never rattled. The only squeak I have is the Nav unit when it pops up and the interior temp is like 150F. I am sure I have the best built V that exists if you listen to this forum.

2010's had the best build quality from what ive read.

Although my sunroof has 0 noises, so 2012's are probably better :P

Gordy Petrovski
09-11-12, 05:09 PM
Put the car in 1st gear & take TC off. Now stomp on it & all those concerns will go away :bouncy:

Squirlz
09-11-12, 05:29 PM
I've had my 2012 wagon for one year and 7700 miles. I've had none of those problems and wouldn't change a thing.

buddyg
09-11-12, 08:07 PM
Hey guys,

it.

One of the all time dumbest things a car salesmen has ever said, what an idiot.

lazy7
09-11-12, 08:42 PM

My 2010 V has no issues whatsoever. Brakes are fine. No rattles. No problems. My opinion the best car GM has ever made. But about those recaros - yea... they do have a little bit of play in them but I don't care! 'Cause when I push the right pedal and approach light speed I'm not thinking about wiggly seats.

Mike02z
09-11-12, 09:21 PM
My 2011 Sedan has almost 10k miles. None of the issues that you described. I'm almost 300 lbs and my Recaro's don't move at all. I would prefer that I did not have the Ultra View roof but I didn't want to order the car and this had everything I wanted except the roof.

My only issues have been clicking wheels and an occasional rattle at speed in the driver side B-pillar. Other wise, it's been perfect.

dennych
09-12-12, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys

To clarify, those cars were out and it has been hot lately. If from previous research, people mention the door creaking is related to heat. Like I said before, it's not a deal breaker but very concerning that such an expensive car would have a door handle that felt so cheap. I want to also mention that the V Coupe did not suffer this issue given the different door design. I think the quality of the door handle is somewhat important as opening and closing the door will be a common occurrence.

It's good to hear that any rocking of seats is taken care of. I also want to note the V wagon I drove did not seem to be in the best condition for a new car despite having low mileage. The white seats were already dirty.

As for the M3 interior, that's entirely up to opinion and I was just stating mine. The particular one I was driving had the nice red leather and carbon leather trim. I thought it looked and felt great inside. However the interior is only one aspect I'm considering when weighing the two, though it is an important one.

larry arizona
09-12-12, 06:17 AM
dennych,

I will be 100% honest with you. The forum has a rash of BMW trolls that come on here and nit pick every detail of the V they can and it gets really old. At first I thought you were one of them. Frankly I think there are a lot of BMW slappies that are concerned that the V has been kicking their ass the past 4 years for $30K less. The new M5 is better but I wouldnt say its kicking anyones ass.

If you are truly interested in a V, take a look around and you will not come close to this performance and styling in any other vehicle at this price point or maybe even several price points higher. There are some minor and I do mean minor complaints on the V. Some door handles creak, some roofs rattle, some rotors click,some seats rock. Mine does none of this. But its balls out fast.

dennych
09-12-12, 02:53 PM
dennych,

I will be 100% honest with you. The forum has a rash of BMW trolls that come on here and nit pick every detail of the V they can and it gets really old. At first I thought you were one of them. Frankly I think there are a lot of BMW slappies that are concerned that the V has been kicking their ass the past 4 years for $30K less. The new M5 is better but I wouldnt say its kicking anyones ass.

If you are truly interested in a V, take a look around and you will not come close to this performance and styling in any other vehicle at this price point or maybe even several price points higher. There are some minor and I do mean minor complaints on the V. Some door handles creak, some roofs rattle, some rotors click,some seats rock. Mine does none of this. But its balls out fast.

I wouldn't doubt it about BMW Trolls. I can assure you I am not one of them. I don't own any BMWs and I think they are overpriced and realize they are extraordinarily expensive to fix. I think I mentioned in my original post that being a BMW actually a negative considering all the BMW Jerks there are in socal :)

larry arizona
09-12-12, 03:13 PM
Well I hope you make an educated purchase based on your research. If you do come the way of the V family, you will be added to a family of mostly happy brothers with a few misfitting whiners :duck:

Seriously I wish we all lived closer so that we could hang out drink beer and race every weekend

hulksdaddy
09-12-12, 09:40 PM
Get the V, it's cooler. :cool2:

Trapspeed
09-12-12, 10:07 PM
Seriously I wish we all lived closer so that we could hang out drink beer and race every weekend

Amen, brother.

hulksdaddy
09-12-12, 10:57 PM

As long as you're buyin'...:drink2:

larry arizona
09-13-12, 06:36 AM
As long as you're buyin'...:drink2:

Not a problem. Got a kegerator with 4 half barrel capacity in the mancave.:bouncy: