: AK or AR?

2blackcaddies
09-09-12, 09:13 PM
Hello all. I know this is a debate with no CLEAR definitive answer, but id like your input on whether I should buy a ak47 or a ar15 . I like the simplicity and big round of the Ak, but I like the AR because it's more accurate and an American design. Right now all I have is a really old 1911 and a glock 17 gen 3. Sooooo, I need a rifle, but can't make a decision. Sway me, please forum. Which is the better rifle?

DRL650
09-09-12, 09:23 PM
Im also listening..I have been thinking about the
Century Arms Saiga 7.62 x 39 Caliber Autoloading Rifle ?
http://www.gunsamerica.com/923900119/Guns/Rifles/Saiga-Rifles/Century_Arms_Saiga_7_62_x_39_Caliber_Autoloading_R ifl.htm

cadi509
09-09-12, 09:26 PM
This a classic ford vs Chevy, if your looking for a reliable shtf/ end of the world gun the ak would be it, but if your looking for the cool more accessories than batman gun the ar is it.... Me personally I would get a piston driven AR the strong components of an ak and the accuracy of the AR....... Also my brand would be lwrc

Ranger
09-09-12, 09:32 PM
AR hands down. MUCH better built and the size of the bullet is negligible. I have a spinning target with two 3/8" thick steel discs on it. One has a hole through it from an AR (.223).

cadi509
09-09-12, 09:36 PM
Really it comes down to one question what are you using it for..... Because an ak can be accurate within 200 yards and I believe the maximum effective range of your average AR with 62 gr bullet is 600yrds and to be honest most people dont even know how to shoot that far

Usernam3
09-09-12, 09:42 PM
Go for the AR15. The AK is a great gun, but it doesn't seem as accurate because of how the sights are spread apart. The .223 is really flat shooting round that'll go out to far with little bullet drop. If you plan on putting an optic on the gun, the AK really doesn't have a good place to mount it. You could put it mid gun, which personally, I find to be too far. Or you have the dust cover that isn't very good because it wiggles around. It also depends on what you want to use the rifle for. If you plan on taking it out and trying to shoot for groups and accuracy, the AR would be a lot better. Also, if you reload, go for the AR, it's cheaper to shoot reloaded AR ammo. I absolutely love shooting my Rock River AR. I'm not too sure about the AK, but if you don't like practicing with such expensive ammo, you can pick up a nice Smith and Wesson MP15-22 for about $400.

Rolex
09-09-12, 10:14 PM
Really it comes down to one question what are you using it for..... Because an ak can be accurate within 200 yards and I believe the maximum effective range of your average AR with 62 gr bullet is 600yrds and to be honest most people dont even know how to shoot that far

I'm with this guy. The 223 goes subsonic around 600 yards and it's impossible for a spotter to track the bullet path beyond that. But I've seen good shooters with 1:7 barrel and 75 gr ammo be on the money at 700 yards with 16" barrel AR carbine (bought off the store shelf).

I prefer the AR platform, so my vote is get the AR. The argument for one or the other comes down to what you want to do with the rifle. Either way they're both a lot of fun to shoot. :)

DRL650
09-09-12, 10:16 PM
Some good info here Which AR is the best bang for the buck right out of the box? Also my appology to the OP for getting off topic, but can someone give me real world info on this gun? http://www.gunsamerica.com/926150224/Guns/Pistols/Springfield-Armory-Pistols/1911-Type/Springfield_Armory_PI9132LP_45ACP_1911_Loaded_Targ et_with_11_Gear_System_Stainless_Steel_.htm

Jesda
09-09-12, 10:23 PM
Alaska is a challenging and expensive state to live in, but worth it if you're into the outdoors.

Northern Arkansas is beautiful as well.

Rolex
09-09-12, 10:29 PM
Alaska is a challenging and expensive state to live in, but worth it if you're into the outdoors.

Once again, my vote is AR. :)

orconn
09-09-12, 11:21 PM

Arkansas brought us Bill Clinton, Alaska gave us Sarah Palin and Koz ..... keep looking!

mackey
09-09-12, 11:58 PM
both are good in their own way, depends what youre using it for.

for cheap fun, i suggest a saiga 5.45

ammo is relatively cheap and if you keep it sporterized, it shouldnt cost more than 4-500 new.

for more inherent precision (just from how theyre manufactured) the AR. though that would not discount a properly built AK from being used as a precision rifle either.

dkozloski
09-10-12, 12:17 AM
I recommend a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester .338 Win. Mag. The AK and AR are for wimps.

CadillacLuke24
09-10-12, 01:51 AM
Winchester Model 94 .30-.30 FTW!

93DevilleUSMC
09-10-12, 10:12 PM
I say a good AR from a respected maker, like Colt, Rock River, Smith and Wesson, etc. Look for one that is bult to US govt. MIL-SPEC standards. With the AR, you get so many configuration and accessory choices, you can literally build your own rifle. However, there are plenty of good AKs, you just don't have as many options with them.

Shoot both and make your call; you can't go wrong.

Cadillac Kid03
09-10-12, 10:16 PM
AK all the way! AR is nice but not like a blacked out AK.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theARMORYchannel

cadi509
09-11-12, 01:07 AM
Again I say a LWRC AR is the way to go

GhostCaddy
09-18-12, 03:39 AM
Honestly, it comes down to:
What are you going to do with it?
What is you price range?
Consider the ammo cost
What accessories would you like to have?

IMPO, I would choose the AR. I've had both in many different variations. AR is lighter, able to carry more rounds with less weight(if need be). A variety of ammo choices. Different barrel lengths to suit your needs/wants.

Do you want an AR out of the box, or do you want to build your own? This can be as simple as choosing a complete lower, complete upper sans handguard and put the two together, you would be able to choose your own rail and whatever else you want to put on.

Higher end brands (LMT, LWRC, COLT, LaRue, Knights) are nice, but honestly I dont see the point, other than to say you spent $2K on a bare rifle. If I were you I would go to bravo company and buy there 16 inch upper, then go over to palmetto state armory and buy one of the lower kits which includes and upgraded trigger, all the magpul goodies and so on....
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm $439 mil spec flat top upper
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/psa-ar15-lower.html $145 lower parts kit
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/moe-lower-build-kit-black.html $100 stripped lower

$700 gun that competes with the top name brands at half the cost and with money to spare buy some optics. The lower has nothing to do with the accuracy of the gun. I currently run a BCM (bravo company) upper and have had ZERO problems with it. Runs like a champ.

hey8you
09-21-12, 06:59 PM
Why not both? Thats what i did.
http://i50.tinypic.com/4kafit.jpg

2blackcaddies
09-22-12, 07:30 PM
.... Prob will eventually get both... First will be Ak I think.... Much simpler and not as picky with rounds and maintenance. Which will be great if Obama gets in for a second term and USA collapses. AK is the better "end of the world gun" I think.

CadillacCastle
09-23-12, 03:21 AM
Buy both I prefer ARs for one thing is the weight and quality. I have a almost mint 1972 Colt SP1. In east Texas Walmart buy AR15s on layawat until Christmas $1197.00, Colt and 2 other brands. I miss my AK because it was a good gun with a side folding stock with a black plastic stock. Regular AKs are too cheap not to have one. I want another AK but keep thinking about the new Colt AR15, heavy barrel and retractable stock. They are both good guns.

Ranger
10-06-12, 08:48 PM
OK guys, I just HAD to revive this thread. Someone mentioned that the AR has more accessories. One of which is the "Slidefire". It is a simplest of accessories that makes it fire "full auto". Technically it is not full auto, but what is called "bump fire". NO INTERNALS ARE CHANGED. It's hard to believe, it still fires one round per trigger pull, but allows you to fire it at a faster cyclic rate of fire than an M16. I speak from experience. I just fired an AR with it last week and it does what it advertizes. One of which is to put a smile on your face (I was grinning from ear to ear). It will empty a magazine (and your wallet in very short order), but it's the most fun you can have with your pants on, and the best part is IT IS COMPLETELY LEGAL!

EDIT:
I believe it is available for the AK as well.

drewsdeville
10-06-12, 09:58 PM
yeah bumpfire accessories are quite popular for both of them. Like you said, it's fun getting as close to full auto as you can legally. However, outside of that, bumpfire is pointless, really.

DRL650
10-06-12, 10:12 PM
My son just bought a slr-107 made by arsenal looks real nice I will hopefully have a chance to fire off some rounds next weekend,I have been looking at this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=309471286

Rolex
10-07-12, 01:32 PM
yeah bumpfire accessories are quite popular for both of them. Like you said, it's fun getting as close to full auto as you can legally. However, outside of that, bumpfire is pointless, really.

Don't know where you're from, but where I live it's perfectly legal to own a full auto weapon. The slidefire stock allows you to have all the fun of FA without the time, trouble, and expense of jumping through all the nfa hoops.

Of all the gimmicks I've seen to alter rate of fire the slidefire is the most effective one.

hey8you
10-07-12, 03:56 PM
You guys are lucky. Slidefire is illegal in Ca. or as some gun owners here call it, The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Ranger
10-07-12, 08:45 PM
I think it is only a matter of time before it gets legislated to be treated the same as a full auto weapon.

MotownPimp
10-08-12, 01:58 AM
My choice:

When the ammo runs out, I can convert to web shooter & swing into the sunset.

:thumbsup:

Rolex
10-08-12, 10:05 AM
I think it is only a matter of time before it gets legislated to be treated the same as a full auto weapon.

The BATFE (ATF) is the only leg of gov that both makes and enforces its own laws. Seems like a conflict of interest doesn't it? Slidefire puts a laminated copy of the ATF acceptance letter inside the box with new slidefire stocks in case you encounter an over zealous LEO at the range (they're often times ignorant about nfa items, etc).

The Akins accelerator was also approved by the ATF for production. It was only AFTER Akins went forward with production and spent a fortune making them, that the ATF reneged. Akins lost everything and the units he sold were tracked down and destroyed.

So you're right. Enjoy your SF stock while it lasts.

2blackcaddies
10-18-12, 06:53 PM
Sooooo, just bought a gen4 glock 17 and a bushmaster m4 a3 both brand new. Love em, but still gonna buy a ak, a big pistol and a pump shotgun..... Before November just in case.....

Rolex
10-18-12, 08:40 PM
Before November just in case.....

:rofl:

Obama is the best firearm salesman EVAR.