: Move from CTS-V to C63 AMG?

King335i
09-09-12, 08:25 PM
Has anyone here done this? Has anyone here driven both and can compare the two? I love how much attention the V coupe gets due to its radical and unique design IMO, the performance is amazing and all-in-all it doesn't leave much to be desired. However, I have had a nagging urge to get a C63 for a couple years now, and I was just wondering if anyone has made the move from the C63 to the V, or vice versa. I know it sounds cheesy but the "better" build quality, and most importantly that N/A hand-built 6.2L M156, have me thinking twice about the V. I know the V is faster and meaner though. I sat in a C63 coupe once and even though it actually isn't as nice as the interior of the V, it felt...nicer. I revved the V8 while stationary and the tach just jumped, that combined with the exhaust note and I actually noticed my heart rate rising.

Anyway, I'd love to get some input from you guys.

hulksdaddy
09-09-12, 08:58 PM
C63 is a beautiful car. IMO, definitely not as striking as the V coupe, but does have some advantages to it.

I wonder if you just might want "new"? I fight that A LOT. :D

neuronbob
09-09-12, 09:13 PM
I also think you've got the new car bug. I'm fighting this right now. The new C63 is gorgeous, but unfortunately I have no experience driving it to help you out. Sorry!

larry arizona
09-09-12, 09:16 PM
C63AMG coupe is $153K and a biturbo V8 right?

Trapspeed
09-09-12, 09:19 PM
^^^^^^^
No, sir. It's about 65K with the N/A 6.3 V8.

larry arizona
09-09-12, 09:22 PM
I am confused then. I just looked up the 2012 CL63AMG on MB website and its a bi turbo 5.5L with 518HP and starts at $153K.

Trapspeed
09-09-12, 09:25 PM
He's just looking at the C, not CL.

WA 2 FST
09-09-12, 09:25 PM
I contemplated a C63 AMG, but it is just not fast enough (stock) to get me to spend that kind of $$. I drove one and just felt like the V was the better car for me... plus, I knew I would be able to affordably mod my V and keep reliability (I'm at 570+rwhp now, and did these mods with 300 miles on the car). I even looked at trying to find a C63 AMG Black edition... but too much $$ for what you get, although I like the radical styling of the car.

But they are very nice cars, and if you are not going to mod a car, then you may find it to be more to your liking than the V.

dkozloski
09-09-12, 09:28 PM
It's noteworty that the German phonetic pronounciation of AMG is aye em ghey.

BWhite58
09-09-12, 09:34 PM
I considered a used E63 AMG before buying my V . No doubt it is one hell of a machine .

larry arizona
09-09-12, 09:35 PM
It's noteworty that the German phonetic pronounciation of AMG is aye em ghey. :histeric:

But I think I found a pic of the 2011 C63 AMG coupe. That is a good looking krautrocket. The black edition is even nicer. Only knock on it, is that is the UGLIEST SW and driver airbag combo I have ever seen (sorry I work for a SW and airbag supplier and I think we do that one :helpless:)

thebigjimsho
09-09-12, 09:51 PM
Too bad the coupe looks like an Accord coupe...

King335i
09-09-12, 09:52 PM
Too bad the coupe looks like an Accord coupe...

Yeah, that's been said once or twice :)

I've gotten over that though, the more I look at it the less it looks like an Accord coupe.

King335i
09-09-12, 09:53 PM
The 5.5 Biturbo E63 is also high on my list, but its astronomical price and sleeper styling keep me from pulling the trigger. Every time I see an E63 in person, though, I tell myself I'm calling my friend who works at the local MB dealer as soon as I get home. Sure enough on the way there I get 4 thumbs up and 3 "cool car!" comments--the E63 doesn't get that same response.

shchow
09-09-12, 09:56 PM
The CTS-V is negligibly faster than the C63 stock vs stock if running a straight line drag.
Running one on the street would be a drivers race.
But the Caddy would pretty much decimate the C63 on a track despite being a much heavier car due to having a much better suspension.
Going from the Caddy to the C63, I would consider it a step down from a sheer performance standpoint.
If you are into badges, the C is an entry level AMG (Black Series not included) and at my age, I would feel a little out of place driving it.
But, the C63 is a great car and I would take that over the M3 if I were considering a smaller performance car...

shchow
09-09-12, 10:02 PM
The 5.5 Biturbo E63 is also high on my list, but its astronomical price and sleeper styling keep me from pulling the trigger. Every time I see an E63 in person, though, I tell myself I'm calling my friend who works at the local MB dealer as soon as I get home. Sure enough on the way there I get 4 thumbs up and 3 "cool car!" comments--the E63 doesn't get that same response.

I almost got the E63, but having to pay nearly an extra 10k in order to get LSD was ridiculous (the LSD was bundled in with the PP at that time, MB has since unbundled them and you can get the LSD alone for an extra $2500).
Not to mention the rear end of the E63 looks like Hyundai.
Personally, I'm considering the CLS63 or the F10 M5 when my lease ends next year...

DRL650
09-09-12, 10:37 PM
I contemplated a C63 AMG, but it is just not fast enough (stock) to get me to spend that kind of $$. I drove one and just felt like the V was the better car for me... plus, I knew I would be able to affordably mod my V and keep reliability (I'm at 570+rwhp now, and did these mods with 300 miles on the car). I even looked at trying to find a C63 AMG Black edition... but too much $$ for what you get, although I like the radical styling of the car.

But they are very nice cars, and if you are not going to mod a car, then you may find it to be more to your liking than the V.

I had the same feelings as you. Well said. I/We have had a few MBs and in my opinion the build quality in the V is not far behind the MB? The V has came up and I think the MBs have actually came down? Until maybe the 150k plus MBs? I assume you are looking at this?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=c63+amg&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mbusa.com%2Fmercedes%2Fvehicl es%2Fmodel%2Fclass-C%2Fmodel-C63&ei=Z0VNULLFOoj28wSf8IDIAw&usg=AFQjCNGlX7PS0WmvcgxtGKnviU5rSvwrTwA
A handcrafted 6.3-liter V-8 with a patented dual-length intake delivers 451 hp and 0-60 mph in just 4.4 seconds.[†] Paddle-shifts of its 7-speed AMG SPEEDSHIFT MCT transmission occur with lightning speed in any of three driving modes, including expertly rev-matched downshifts. Every chassis element takes to cornering, braking and control with tenacious determination, thanks to extensive fitment of specially developed components, from the front axle to the 3-stage ESP®. Massive multi-piston brakes and 18-inch wheels set off exclusive bodywork, all wrapped around a cockpit inspired equally by its racing roots and the Mercedes-Benz standard of refinement. An optional AMG Development Package increases the V-8's output by 30 hp, and shaves the 0-60 time to 4.3 seconds.

buddyg
09-09-12, 11:51 PM
It's noteworty that the German phonetic pronounciation of AMG is aye em ghey.

Hilarious

MacBuster
09-10-12, 02:46 AM
I seriously considered the C63...but I live it a relatively high altitude, and did not want to take the ~20% power drop that a NA engine gets at this altitude. My current two vehicles are turbos, so the loss is much less. All of my future cars will be forced induction.

Indeed, the new 5.5 twin turbo that MB is doing is a much better engine for me than the 6.2, simply due to the altitude....much less sexy motor, however.

MacBuster
09-10-12, 02:47 AM
double

1997BlackETC
09-10-12, 12:57 PM
It's too bad with the E550 with the twin turbo motor, it can easily be upped in HP with the Renntech tuning, but the car is just way too numb and cushy. When I test drove one before I got my V, it brought back memories of my 1992 Cadillac Coupe deville. I know it's not meant to be sports car or anything, but the price is comparable to the V, not a bad looking car, just realized it was not for me.

King335i
09-10-12, 02:08 PM
It's too bad with the E550 with the twin turbo motor, it can easily be upped in HP with the Renntech tuning, but the car is just way too numb and cushy. When I test drove one before I got my V, it brought back memories of my 1992 Cadillac Coupe deville. I know it's not meant to be sports car or anything, but the price is comparable to the V, not a bad looking car, just realized it was not for me.

Yeah I hear you on that. I think the E550 coupe is sexy as hell though, if they made an E63 AMG Coupe, phew, they'd have a lot of happy customers.

Razorecko
09-10-12, 02:10 PM
Wait till the c63 goes turbo than revisit the possibility. Amg's make very badass turbo cars. Thats why their v12tt has been around for so long and is legendary. Tq detuned the v12tt is near 1000ft lbs. They know their fi systems

EX-amg
09-10-12, 02:58 PM
Hey King
As my forum name implies I am an ExAMG . I went from an 09 C63 sedan to an 11 CTSV sedan. I can honestly say the C63 was a beast but the V is insane. I do miss the exhaust tone on that car , I think it is one of the best stock sounding systems out there. Also IMHO the paddle shifters are far more responsive on the C63 especially downshifting ( unless there is something wrong with my V 😢 and I do have the paddles from S2T performance) . The negative of the C63 I think is the car is SMALL!!!! You literally have to climb up out of that car, it is very LOW, it is a car mainly for 2 people max. I had the sedan and couldn't fit adults in the back.
Bottom line is they are both nice cars but the V is far more comfortable and more readily upgraded for far less money. Don't forget the money you'll save on the V when it's time for service . The V comes with Cadillac Shield, the C63 service visits are quite expensive ( after all it IS a MB and that's " expected")
To me the V is a very comfortable family sedan BUT a serious sports car when needed. It's like getting two cars for the price of one!!
One last note to persuade you a little is I have received more compliments on my V than I ever did on my C.

quikag
09-10-12, 04:21 PM
I love the C63, especially that rev happy 6.2L (it's not 6.3 btw) AMG M156 mill. The newer speedshift 7-speed auto is very nice. Otherwise, I think the CTS-V is a better overall vehicle from long-term durability, ease/cost of maintenance, power both stock and modified, interior options and quality (yes, CTS-V interior is nice than C-class C63 interior IMHO), etc.

If I were to go AMG, I'd get the bi-turbo E63 or the C63 Black Series (it's supposed to be a track beast). C63 is honestly a SLIGHT downgrade from a CTS-V in the commonly accepted car hierarchy. :D

seandalal
09-10-12, 05:58 PM
i just moved from an AMG. Its a really nice car. When the next V coupe comes out I will be looking at both again closely. The V has the edge right now. But then there is designo if you have $$.

King335i
09-11-12, 02:33 AM
I mean, I know the V outperforms the C63, but I could stand to be a few tenths of a second slower to 60 mph. At the same time I don't think the 5.5 E63 would handle as well as the V, which hides its weight very well. Tough call.

roarkb
09-11-12, 08:02 PM
I owned both at the same time. Both were 09 sedans. Both are incredible cars. I found myself driving the V much more than the AMG. More comfortable and more fun to drive.

The AMG was in the shop more often and cost more to own. Loved the sound of its exhaust.

I still have the V and the AMG has been gone fore more than a year.

M5eater
09-11-12, 10:18 PM
I almost got the E63, but having to pay nearly an extra 10k in order to get LSD was ridiculous (the LSD was bundled in with the PP at that time, MB has since unbundled them and you can get the LSD alone for an extra $2500).
Not to mention the rear end of the E63 looks like Hyundai.
Personally, I'm considering the CLS63 or the F10 M5 when my lease ends next year...
it's the same situation with the C63.

F an E-diff. Not having an LSD in a 450HP car, then asking $2500 for a lousey 30% LF? Jesus.

larry arizona
09-12-12, 07:30 AM
The C63AMG comes standard with a one wheel wonder? $2500 for a LSD? Embarrassing!

SecretWeapon
09-12-12, 08:38 AM
If you know how to mod get the V. If you do not know which end of the wrench you put the socket on then get the MB. Seriously, most of the people I see riding around in a Benz have serious status and identity issues.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-12-12, 12:07 PM
King335i, I'm happy you've been receiving such helpful feedback from owners! If you'd like me to investigate any V questions further for you, please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

M5eater
09-12-12, 10:30 PM
The C63AMG comes standard with a one wheel wonder? $2500 for a LSD? Embarrassing!
it comes with an E-diff. which yes, is an open differential, but it uses brake force distribution to 'even out' the power output.

You can lay 2 strips of rubber with an e-diff, it's just not as efficient as a real LSD.

King335i
09-13-12, 12:16 AM
If you know how to mod get the V. If you do not know which end of the wrench you put the socket on then get the MB. Seriously, most of the people I see riding around in a Benz have serious status and identity issues.

Kind of a vague generalization right there. To be honest I notice a substantial difference in interior and general build quality when comparing my CTS-V to pretty much any MB. The CTS-V is close, but not quite there yet. The MB feels much more solid, even if it does come with some unfortunate dogma, but some people don't only buy MB cars for the "status". Some buy them for hand-built biturbo V8s with 560 hp & 590 lb-ft of torque. I love my V though, maybe I do just have the new car bug like some other posters had previously mentioned.

King335i
09-13-12, 12:17 AM
**Double post**

Torxila
09-13-12, 12:41 PM
I live within 5 miles of every major domestic and foreign car dealers. You can't swing a pole dancer by her ponytail without hitting a C or E class car. 95% of the population woudn't know an AMG from a C250 4matic if it ran over them.

Everywhere I go, and I meen "everywhere". people compliment my V coupe.(Evo Green with Satin Graphite wheels/Yellow Brembo's, smoked lamps/deep tint etc) Old geezers (Like me), Kids; men/women doesn't matter, this thing gets NOTICED.

I love AMG's, (Had a CLK55 back in '99), but as I "aged", my money stays in the retirement accounts and I buy what I get the best performance/value/$. Just happens it's the V coupe, this time. Who knows next time. AWD & 600hp in a refined car (sorry GTRer's) would be nice.

If you're young and can afford it, GO FOR IT. Sometimes the choices in life get narrowed down as commitments grow and health declines.

George

JFJr
09-13-12, 08:02 PM
Over-paying is great for those that are into impressing others; for the rest of us, we know where it's at, and could care less.

Jud

shchow
09-13-12, 10:38 PM
Kind of a vague generalization right there. To be honest I notice a substantial difference in interior and general build quality when comparing my CTS-V to pretty much any MB. The CTS-V is close, but not quite there yet. The MB feels much more solid, even if it does come with some unfortunate dogma, but some people don't only buy MB cars for the "status". Some buy them for hand-built biturbo V8s with 560 hp & 590 lb-ft of torque. I love my V though, maybe I do just have the new car bug like some other posters had previously mentioned.

The C63 comes with 560hp & 590lb/ft torque?

Oops, I see you mentioned the turbo motor, so I'm assuming you're referring the the C's bigger brethren...