: Spring Mountain V-driving school

blkvcts09
09-08-12, 04:46 PM
Spring Mountain motorsports is now offering a 1 and 2 day school for V's. They have sedan's, coupes and wagons. just got the call from them Fri. you can call 800-391-6891 or e-mail donna@acespringmountain.com

FLTRI
09-08-12, 05:24 PM
Any idea on the price for the school???

OldRoadDawg
09-08-12, 08:59 PM
Any idea on the price for the school???
http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/driving-school/cadillac-v-series-academy

pat2t2f
09-08-12, 09:57 PM
That looks like fun. 1 day is $1,595 and 2 days is $2,895 outside Las Vegas.

Gary Veeeee
09-08-12, 10:05 PM
This must be a different course not the one from Cadillac right? I got invited to Florida and they also have one in Vegas for a full day it's 950. I was thinking about going I'll check this out to see if it's better thanks. I also read a post talking about one they went to for free that was offered by Cadillac.???

jft69z
09-08-12, 11:51 PM
I went there earlier this year for the 3 day Corvette ZR1 school. This place is first class all the way, from the excellent instructors, top notch facility & on site condos that are WAY better than any other hotel/motel that I have ever stayed at. It was the cleanest place I have ever stayed.

If it's like the Corvette school, it will be well worth it to go. It's not just geared to people that will race their V, but will also teach you a bunch of skills that you can use in any vehicle you drive. Crash avoidance, threshold braking, wet skid pad, vehicle control, etc are all skills you will practice in the cars, all while the instructors are in constant 2 way radio communication with you, correcting & teaching you in real time. You'll find that they really love their job & the main goal for them is that you learn these skills, but in a really fun, comfortable, and non-stressful atmosphere. If you're having trouble with a skill, they'll stick with you until you get it, and not make you feel embarrased or stupid, really true professionals....

I still find myself looking at roads & curves different now after taking the school. Like they tell you, you can spend all sorts of money trying to make your car faster, but the best investment for increased speed & safety will be to start with your driving skills.

Fireverm
09-09-12, 10:31 AM
I just signed up last week for the one-day course on Nov 30th. It was the $950 option through Cadillac, I wasn't aware there was a 2 day course as well.

OldRoadDawg
09-09-12, 10:37 AM
That looks like fun. 1 day is $1,595 ...
In addition to Spring Mountain, there is Monticello (http://monticellomotorclub.com/hpde/index.php) in NY for the east coast.
They show $1595 for 1 day. They used to give a discount for 'V' owners. Not sure if that still holds true. Excellent road course layout. A few guys on the forum have taken their training.

garfin
09-09-12, 10:43 AM
I went there earlier this year for the 3 day Corvette ZR1 school. This place is first class all the way, from the excellent instructors, top notch facility & on site condos that are WAY better than any other hotel/motel that I have ever stayed at. It was the cleanest place I have ever stayed.

If it's like the Corvette school, it will be well worth it to go. It's not just geared to people that will race their V, but will also teach you a bunch of skills that you can use in any vehicle you drive. Crash avoidance, threshold braking, wet skid pad, vehicle control, etc are all skills you will practice in the cars, all while the instructors are in constant 2 way radio communication with you, correcting & teaching you in real time. You'll find that they really love their job & the main goal for them is that you learn these skills, but in a really fun, comfortable, and non-stressful atmosphere. If you're having trouble with a skill, they'll stick with you until you get it, and not make you feel embarrased or stupid, really true professionals....

I still find myself looking at roads & curves different now after taking the school. Like they tell you, you can spend all sorts of money trying to make your car faster, but the best investment for increased speed & safety will be to start with your driving skills.

Couldn't agree with you more! Spent the day there at the end of March, courtesy of GM and the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School putting the new Camaro ZL1 and ZR! 'Vette through their paces on the track. It was an incredible experience! First class facility all the way - my balcony even overlooked the track!
The instructors were great and it was amazing how they can see what you're doing when they're driving the lead car and you're behind them. I got yelled at pretty good over the 2-way for not turning my head enough to look ahead on one of the really tight left turns!

Best regards.

Elie

Gary Veeeee
09-09-12, 11:03 AM
In addition to Spring Mountain, there is Monticello (http://monticellomotorclub.com/hpde/index.php) in NY for the east coast.
They show $1595 for 1 day. They used to give a discount for 'V' owners. Not sure if that still holds true. Excellent road course layout. A few guys on the forum have taken their training.

Old dawg, do you have any more info on this
to look up? the same company ? This would be great for me. Thanks

Gary Veeeee
09-09-12, 11:05 AM
Old dawg, do you have any more info on this
to look up? the same company ? This would be great for me. Thanks

Never mind sorry ,I see the link .....

jft69z
09-09-12, 01:41 PM
The instructors were great and it was amazing how they can see what you're doing when they're driving the lead car and you're behind them. I got yelled at pretty good over the 2-way for not turning my head enough to look ahead on one of the really tight left turns!

Best regards.

Elie

Yeah, they do that to everyone, including correcting your (my) hand position on the wheel, lol. All while they're ahead of you at 90 mph and they are looking at you in their rear view mirror. They also have spotters all around the track talking to the leader to help you as well.

On a side note, I think they give Corvette Forum members a discount, it would be worth asking Donna if they offer the same to our forum here too.

Xaqtly
09-10-12, 06:01 PM
I know I've posted these pics before, but these are from when my gf and I did the school last year. I agree with everything above, it's a fantastic school and an awesome experience. It is really pricey, but I thought it was pretty much worth it. They didn't have the Vs when I did it, those are a new addition.

If anybody from out of town goes to do that, post somewhere, maybe those of us in Vegas can meet up. Pahrump is only 45 mins outside of Vegas... depending on your right foot, haha.

http://xaqtly.com/z06.jpg

http://xaqtly.com/zakz06.jpg

Gary Veeeee
09-12-12, 10:23 AM
Did they get into any theory or training on using the paddle shifters on the automatic models. I'm having a very difficult time getting used to that without a clutch. It's a lot harder than I thought. Also seems when I do use the shift paddles I get a lot of clunking in the tranny when it shifts. Anybody experience that on their's?

jft69z
09-12-12, 11:33 AM
All the cars we drove (ZR1, Z06, & GS) has manual transmissions. If you ask, they will help you with any questions/issues you have. If they don't have an answer immediately, they'll find out for you. Your best bet is to call Donna over there & ask if they have both manual & auto equipped cars.

garfin
09-12-12, 12:39 PM
Did they get into any theory or training on using the paddle shifters on the automatic models. I'm having a very difficult time getting used to that without a clutch. It's a lot harder than I thought. Also seems when I do use the shift paddles I get a lot of clunking in the tranny when it shifts. Anybody experience that on their's?

I had 1 session on the track there in an automatic ZL1 Camaro, and as impressed as I was with how well the transmission performed and responded, I also had a difficult time trying to get used to it! Upshifts and downshifts were instantaneous and you gotta love the perfect rev-matching every time. My biggest difficulty was not being able to get used to the paddle action when the wheel was turned by more than a few degrees. So I asked the instructor about this and his response was that I really shouldn't be telling the car to shift when the steering wheel is turned! I totally get that, but there's definitely more flexibility in this regard with a good ol' gearshift and clutch, with a bit of heel-and-toe action thrown in for good measure!
I can definitely see participating in a lapping day with that automatic - and I have no doubt it would be a challenge for me to learn it and become comfy behind the wheel. However, I certainly can't visualize the experience being as rewarding as blasting around a track with a manual.

Best regards,

Elie

JoshV
09-12-12, 01:18 PM
I have been looking for a school just like this one to go to. When you say there is a $950 option through Cadillac is it just when you buy the car or can you get that rate after you have owned the car for a while. I just bought mine but it was used. I looked on Cadillac's Owners website but didn't see anything about it.

Xaqtly
09-12-12, 01:18 PM
When I was there they did have a couple automatic grand sports, but they were only used for the wet figure 8 lesson. All the vettes we took out on the track were manuals. They even taught people who had never driven a manual how to drive them, and put them on the track. Though I'm guessing if you ask to drive an auto they can give you one. I don't know about the Vs.

Houdini
09-12-12, 01:30 PM
I have been looking for a school just like this one to go to. When you say there is a $950 option through Cadillac is it just when you buy the car or can you get that rate after you have owned the car for a while. I just bought mine but it was used. I looked on Cadillac's Owners website but didn't see anything about it.

Check out http://www.cadillacvseriesacademy.com/

I'm registered for the full day on sept 30th at the autobahn country club in Joliet IL near Chicago. Can't wait!

jft69z
09-12-12, 01:30 PM
However, I certainly can't visualize the experience being as rewarding as blasting around a track with a manual.

Best regards,

Elie

That's because the manual cars are faster, hahahaha!!! (j/k,.... somebody had to go there:histeric:)

Gary Veeeee
09-12-12, 06:12 PM
Personally I would've rather had a manual when I purchased. However the wife has to drive it too. She can drive manual but it's not the prettiest sight. However, I would not underestimate her driving ability in the automatic she is a Spitfire. The car we got rid of was a Magnum wagon she drove the hell out of that car with the hemi engine. I warned her this car is a whole new animal. She makes me nervous when she takes it alone she likes to go fast but I don't think she realizes how much horsepower this car really has. Those tires break loose very easy, but she will learn I think I'm taking her to the track with me as a participant also. No doubt the car is great in an automatic ,no complaints on the way the car drives at all. I would like to be able to get maximum performance with the paddle shifters and I am sure will come in time ,it's just weird. I feel like I want to take my foot off the gas when I shift my brain is thinking as if I am driving a manual. When I do this that's when the clunking happens and everything goes Awkward...I just need some practice.

Gary Veeeee
09-12-12, 06:25 PM
That's because the manual cars are faster, hahahaha!!! (j/k,.... somebody had to go there:histeric:)

Theoretically so, however if the driver can't properly use manual the automatic has its own advantages. Of course not on the racetrack but as a everyday daily driver I love having my automatic in stop and go traffic. Now I read the manual is rated at like 195 around there. Automatic was 175 in a straight line why is this the ability to shift quicker, different weight , or driver ability to properly clutch at the correct RPM to avoid break loose of the rear wheels? All the above?

garfin
09-12-12, 06:57 PM
Theoretically so, however if the driver can't properly use manual the automatic has its own advantages. Of course not on the racetrack but as a everyday daily driver I love having my automatic in stop and go traffic. Now I read the manual is rated at like 195 around there. Automatic was 175 in a straight line why is this the ability to shift quicker, different weight , or driver ability to properly clutch at the correct RPM to avoid break loose of the rear wheels? All the above?

Autos are electronically governed at 175 mph in order to limit output shaft speed on the 6L90E.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-cadillac-cts-v-road-test-speed-and-stopping-ability-page-2

Best regards,

Elie

Gary Veeeee
09-14-12, 12:29 AM
Autos are electronically governed at 175 mph in order to limit output shaft speed on the 6L90E.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-cadillac-cts-v-road-test-speed-and-stopping-ability-page-2

Best regards,

Elie

Elie , thank you for sending the link. That's a good article.