: oil leak. water pump camshaft

stoveguyy
09-08-12, 03:11 PM
i have a good amount of oily residue on front valve cover next to water pump cam seal. i thought a working pcv system would cause a slight vacuum in valve cover so it would suck in air and not push out oil? i think pulling the cover is a pain in the ass? i did have engine out 4 yrs ago and did not replace cam seal.

Submariner409
09-08-12, 03:39 PM
You don't need to pull the cam cover. Disassemble the water pump drive, use a proper puller on the cam pulley, and the seal assembly comes out with 3 machine screws. Replace the water pump drive pulley with a proper installer or a correct sized metric bolt, nut, and stack of greased washers to press the pulley hub flush with the end of the cam snout.

No, the PCV will not always maintain vacuum in the engine guts. In just about any engine, high power/rpm piston ring blowby overwhelms the fixed PCV vacuum draw and then crankcase vapor and gas actually leaves the engine by BOTH the dirty air and clean air PCV tubing.

stoveguyy
09-10-12, 09:24 AM
is the seal available separately or does it come with the steel retainer? i see both versions at rock auto. or should i get it at the dealer?

Submariner409
09-10-12, 03:15 PM
You want the seal with the 3 - bolt "D-shape".

stoveguyy
09-12-12, 06:47 PM
i saw the seal with D shaped steel retainer. i also saw just the seal with no retainer. specs on both seals seemed to indicate they were the same OD/ID.