: Ford greenlights this Mark LT trash and KILLS the Lightning? WTF

Playdrv4me
12-12-04, 05:24 AM
Yea... In the same MotorTrend that has a nice new full page color ad of this Mark LT Truck trash, MT reports in their news section that there will BE NO FORD LIGHTNING until at LEAST 2008. That basically means its dead. This really pissed me off, the Lightning was actually a GOOD idea, it has a following and its a nice balance of cost to performance and even a little utility thrown in the mix. The excuse for all of this nonsense was that the new truck platform weighs "too much" apparently. How the Mark LT made it through when the Blackwood was such a disaster sales-wise, and the Lightning got the axe is beyond me... way to go Ford... oh well, I guess everyone is allowed a screw up once in a while.

Sorry, I had to get that out.

Jesda
12-12-04, 07:51 AM
I kind of like the LT. Hopefully the truck bed will actually be useable, unlike the Blackwood. Not really favoring the use of the Mark name on a truck, however.

Sandy
12-12-04, 09:12 AM
I agree! It's a nice truck, and they fixed everything that was wrong with the Blackwood, but putting the Mark name on it should be against the law!!!
The LT stands for Luxury Truck - BTW

DopeStar 156
12-12-04, 11:50 AM
I don't get it. Lincoln had Mark IX and Mark X concepts that looked awesome and made the next Mark a truck. What the hell is going on over there?

Sandy
12-12-04, 01:41 PM
Soup hands many too the in !! ;)

majax
12-12-04, 07:53 PM
Trucks are what Ford knows how to do best adn they are affraid or just don't know how to make a car, except the Town Car at least.(I guess) One of the major cars driven by millionares is the F150 so if you have a upgraded version of it those rich farmers will buy it.

Ralph
12-12-04, 08:06 PM
What the hell does an LT look like?? :eek: I love the Lightning!

Sandy
12-12-04, 08:15 PM
It looks like an F-150 Club Cab with a slightly longer bed and a Town Car Grille.

Ralph
12-12-04, 08:16 PM
It looks like an F-150 Club Cab with a slightly longer bed and a Town Car Grille.

Obviously NO SUPERCHARGER!

Sandy
12-12-04, 08:17 PM
http://www.powersys.com/auto_show2004/Lincoln%20Mark%20LT%20Pic%202-pt.jpg

Ralph
12-12-04, 08:18 PM
http://www.powersys.com/auto_show2004/Lincoln%20Mark%20LT%20Pic%202-pt.jpg

Visions of Blackwood failure are running through my head. :helpless:

Sandy
12-12-04, 08:21 PM
http://www.powersys.com/auto_show2004/Lincoln%20Mark%20LT-pt.jpg

http://www.powersys.com/auto_show2004/Lincoln%20Mark%20LT%20Pic%203-pt.jpg

DopeStar 156
12-12-04, 08:24 PM
LOL! I love how in that picture people are walking away from it and it's displayed in a far off corner.

Jesda
12-12-04, 08:59 PM
Not liking the Navigator tail lights on the new F150 body.

Playdrv4me
12-12-04, 10:32 PM
http://www.powersys.com/auto_show2004/Lincoln%20Mark%20LT%20Pic%203-pt.jpg

No excuse for this... NONE. :helpless:

Majax... My friend, Id normally agree with you, but the problem is they TRIED this already, and failed. You dont go and repackage the failure and market it to people with a different name, hoping your wet dream somehow comes true this second time.

Sorry, I just really dont like this. I have been happy with Ford recently, but I am very disappointed by this kind of thinking. We wait SOOO long and PATIENTLY for our favorite concepts to become reality, knowing how long it takes for things to get through the corporate washing machine, and then with the stroke of a pen something like this coughs out.... AND they kill a GOOD thing at the same time... AND make sacrilidge of a classic nameplate that had nothing to do with this abomination. Not that anyone will read it or care, but Im almost tempted to write a letter over this.

Sandy
12-12-04, 11:28 PM
You can go to the basement of your house, to the washing machine and peel off the emblem that says; "Westinghouse Washing Machine" and bring it upstairs to t your 'Fridge and stick it on there. THAT does not mkae your "fridge a washing machine and sticking MARK on that pick up truck, sure doesn't make it a real Lincoln Mark, and any Lincoln owner/fan will certainly know that. It's not a bad truck at all, actually it's pretrty darn nice....But Oooh that name has to go! It shoulda been named "LLT" for Lincoln Luxury Truck, or Lincoln LT. I shudder to think what they are gonna do to the next Town Car, due out in December of 2005.

Ralph
12-12-04, 11:43 PM
I shudder to think what they are gonna do to the next Town Car, due out in December of 2005.

Here is next years Lincoln Zephyr

Playdrv4me
12-12-04, 11:53 PM
Here is next years Lincoln Zephyr

Well see thats a GOOD concept for a compact sedan, to be based on the Mazda 6 Platform I think.

Ralph
12-12-04, 11:57 PM
Well see thats a GOOD concept for a compact sedan, to be based on the Mazda 6 Platform I think.

Looks like Lincoln is trying to get away from the Cadillac "edgy" styling. Except the LT. :helpless:

Sandy
12-13-04, 12:13 AM
I pretty much like that! But...I worry about quality and 1st year goof ups! The quality control is sky high in the 2003-2005 Town Car, and I forsee a substantial dip in that Zephyr. They can keep that name, too. Reminds me of a Ford Fairmont, Mercury twin name. Lincoln Premier wouild been alot better.

Playdrv4me
12-13-04, 12:31 AM
THAT does not make your fridge a washing machine.

:histeric:

Msilva954
12-13-04, 07:39 AM
I actually like the LT....reason being...it took nothing to develop.....and it allows Ford to make garrentteed money off of it while they are developing much better products down the pipeline.

I predict the Zephyr getting rave reviews.......I think it will be the next big thing in entry level luxury.

davesdeville
12-13-04, 07:30 PM
The navigator grille looks pretty good but that's about it. J Crizzle the taillights look hideous. The Mark name should have nothing to do with it either. WTF ford.

majax
12-13-04, 07:46 PM
That Zephyr also weighs a lot and does not have much power, though it is my favorite looking Lincoln exterior wise, I think.

majax
12-13-04, 07:48 PM
I predict the Zephyr getting rave reviews

I have yet to read anyone predict it to be anything to rave about, we'll see.

Msilva954
12-13-04, 08:24 PM
Mark my words.......it will be one of the nicest entry level cars out there.....america will have a true (actually much better) car then the ES330.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-13-04, 10:59 PM
the only time i ever concidered owning a blackwood has been over the past 2 months , because i seriosly thought they would never do that again , so it had a chance of being a collector car and i liked the way it looked

DopeStar 156
12-14-04, 12:41 AM
I thought the Zephyr was being built on the Ford 500 platform? I'm still heavily opposed to a Mark series truck. My Mark VII is rolling over in it's........ummm......new owner's driveway.

Playdrv4me
12-14-04, 02:54 AM
I thought the Zephyr was being built on the Ford 500 platform?

If it were, and was fitted with the 3.9, it might be a worthy successor to the LS, but alas, I am pretty sure its a Mazda 6 platform car.

Jesda
12-14-04, 05:22 AM
It'll be a nice little 3-series equivalent for Lincoln. AWD, hopefully 5-spd too.

skides1
12-14-04, 06:21 AM
Its FWD! I know you older deville guys like that but given the competition-crap. See the Ford 500 for the pre-example. Even if its AWD, I bet its about as good as the Jag x-type, a POS. I rode in one and it had the same motor as a 98 Ford Conture? Duratech narrow angle v-6. No wonder Jaguar lowered the price 4g's this year. POS=anything with the name FORD! Fu***n old rebuilt doge!

SuperSport
12-15-04, 04:10 PM
If the SVT Lightning is surely gone for good, it would be just my luck! My previous ride was a dark Shadow Gray '03 Lightning. 3800 miles on the clock when I traded down for this sh!tbox DeVille I'm driving now. I could no longer afford two new truck payments so the impractical toy had to be sacrificed. I couldn't give the thing away around here so I traded just to get out from under the payment. If anyone here has never driven one of these trucks let me tell you, they're out of this world! Unbelievable torque and that blower whine is music to the ears. I suppose I'll never have one again but there's always something different around the corner.