: 6 MT V wagon fever. Couple questions for those who ordered one

neuronbob
09-08-12, 08:01 AM
I am strongly considering selling my V sedan to get a 6MT wagon with Recaros. As much as I hate debt, and love my newly paid off '09, I have started to get the fever again. I thought I'd get something fuel efficient, but after owning a V, I would get bored with a lesser drivetrain. This time, I won't compromise like I did with my V sedan; I don't have Recaros now because I couldn't get them at the time I purchased in '09. I have looked for a set of Recaros in junkyards to no avail for over two years.

From the looks of it, I will almost certainly have to order through a dealer because there are very few used V wagons, and none in my favored color combo (Radiant Silver/ebony). I found a used 6AT V wagon with Recaros in my area recently but they are asking way too much for it, and I really want 6MT this time.

Main question is are there any deals on ordered 6MT (not auto) V wagons lately or will I be generally shafted to pay closer to MSRP with this specific and much rarer model, as opposed to a 6AT V wagon, or a sedan or coupe? Any dealers out there where I can get the car for supplier pricing?

Other question is more general for 6MT sedan/wagon/coupe owners. How heavy is the clutch? I am used to driving nice, light, easy-to-shift Honda manuals. They all shift like butter and the 6MT in my S2000 is simply God's own shifter, it's so easy to use. Question is relevant because should I actually go through with this, it will be my daily driver, even in the winter, just like my V sedan. In fact, it would be my first stick daily driver in almost 20 years. Unfortunately, no dealers around here even have a 6MT V of any kind to test-drive.

At the end of the day, the difficulty in finding a 6MT wagon will probably keep me in my sedan....which is financially the sensible thing to do, anyway.

larry arizona
09-08-12, 09:15 AM
The clutch is awesome. Its the easiest M I have driven. Even the wife says its super easy. I would not describe its as a light clutch but not heavy at all.

Johnxlrv
09-08-12, 09:22 AM
Good to know, cus I am thinking that I may add a Vagon to my collection. Having a Honda del sol dd, the mt is almost too easy, even after 455k miles...had a certain 94 mustang cobra that I bought new...that clutch was about as stiff as I ever had driven (pure horror in stop and go traffic)

Always thought it a matter of leverage and pivot points vs clutch spring...good to know the V ,mt has it down. The recent hoopla about which is faster doesn't matter, mt are just enjoyable!

blacaddy
09-08-12, 10:52 AM
Hey neuronbob...did you see the 2011, 6mt, grey wagon on Ryan Chev Cad of Buffalo? I don't know anything about it but it might be worth checking out>>>>Just a heads up to add some stimulation to your 'WANTER' for a 6mt V Wagon....

Trapspeed
09-08-12, 11:08 AM
Good to know, cus I am thinking that I may add a Vagon to my collection. Having a Honda del sol dd, the mt is almost too easy, even after 455k miles...had a certain 94 mustang cobra that I bought new...that clutch was about as stiff as I ever had driven (pure horror in stop and go traffic)

Always thought it a matter of leverage and pivot points vs clutch spring...good to know the V ,mt has it down. The recent hoopla about which is faster doesn't matter, mt are just enjoyable!

Mustang clutches were some of the worst I'd ever driven. Anything was an improvement over that.

neuronbob
09-08-12, 11:21 AM
Hey neuronbob...did you see the 2011, 6mt, grey wagon on Ryan Chev Cad of Buffalo? I don't know anything about it but it might be worth checking out>>>>Just a heads up to add some stimulation to your 'WANTER' for a 6mt V Wagon....

I missed that in my last search, thanks. It's certainly tempting.

garfin
09-08-12, 12:14 PM
The clutch is awesome. Its the easiest M I have driven. Even the wife says its super easy. I would not describe its as a light clutch but not heavy at all.

I would echo the comment here about it being the easiest manual I've ever driven... and my '10 V sedan is also my all year round DD.

Best regards,

Elie

pat2t2f
09-08-12, 02:18 PM
I ordered my 13 wagon with recaro's and I paid invoice for it. Still waiting anxiously for it to arrive

neuronbob
09-09-12, 06:04 PM
Quick additional Sunday question: How are the GM manufacturer cars maintained? By GM itself? By a dealer? Just trying to figure out how reliable they are; that'd be a way to save money on a purchase. Many of the wagons in the used market (as referenced in the thread linked above) are manufacturer vehicles. They apparently can't be CPO'd and so are sold at auction.

V-swagon
09-09-12, 06:11 PM
I purchased my 2011 BDE V wagon, a6, loaded with 6000 miles on it from the dealer that was a GM program vehicle bought at auction. It is a CPO vehicle. I notices after I bought it, it had a tire replaced, rim repaired, and front bumper repainted. Everything else looks great. 6 year 100k mile warranty.

larry arizona
09-09-12, 06:20 PM
GM manf cars can be a number of different types. Early saleable vehicles (those are the first of the first vehicles built that GM deems saleable on a new model) are the most risky as they are generally captured fleet vehicles and used to do fast feedback for GM. If there are intial problems with design they will be seen in these vehicles. They are passed to alot of different employees and who knows how they are driven.

The type of GM vehicle you want is an executive vehicle (Directors and above get a company car and generally a higher end one like the V). These are driven my older more responsible men who are not going to beat the piss out of them in there suits and ties.

There are also a pool of FUN vehicles vettes, camaros, V's etc. that all employees of GM get to take home for a week once a quarter. These get beat pretty hard.

OldRoadDawg
09-09-12, 07:02 PM
Quick additional Sunday question: How are the GM manufacturer cars maintained? By GM itself? By a dealer? Just trying to figure out how reliable they are; that'd be a way to save money on a purchase. Many of the wagons in the used market (as referenced in the thread linked above) are manufacturer vehicles. They apparently can't be CPO'd and so are sold at auction.
About 7 yrs back I use to do some work for my local Cadillac dealer. They would buy 'Executive' cars through an internal GM auction site called Smart Auction. Not sure if they still do it that way. The cars, which were then held at various facilities scattered around Detroit, would get picked up and brought back to PA.

Most were very clean and had, at most, only 2 or 3K miles, so I doubt they ever made it to the first routine service before being sold. The buying dealer would service and detail them and sell them as new "Executive" cars, since they had never been registered, arriving with the manufacturers certificate of origin.

Only the GM dealer can issue CPO warranty and they would have no need to do that, because it was still a 'new' car.

I bought a 2004 CTS exec car and never had any issues with.

jenlain
09-09-12, 08:39 PM
Other question is more general for 6MT sedan/wagon/coupe owners. How heavy is the clutch? I am used to driving nice, light, easy-to-shift Honda manuals. They all shift like butter and the 6MT in my S2000 is simply God's own shifter, it's so easy to use. Question is relevant because should I actually go through with this, it will be my daily driver, even in the winter, just like my V sedan. In fact, it would be my first stick daily driver in almost 20 years. Unfortunately, no dealers around here even have a 6MT V of any kind to test-drive.

At the end of the day, the difficulty in finding a 6MT wagon will probably keep me in my sedan....which is financially the sensible thing to do, anyway.

Had an s2000 previously and it is certainly the best manual trans I have ever used. The manual in the V is excellent, though not quite as good as the s2000. Clutch is fine for daily driving and not too heavy. Shifter is precise, but throws are a bit long. I find it to be better than the one in my BMW.

neuronbob
09-09-12, 08:51 PM
I purchased my 2011 BDE V wagon, a6, loaded with 6000 miles on it from the dealer that was a GM program vehicle bought at auction. It is a CPO vehicle. I notices after I bought it, it had a tire replaced, rim repaired, and front bumper repainted. Everything else looks great. 6 year 100k mile warranty.

GM manf cars can be a number of different types. Early saleable vehicles (those are the first of the first vehicles built that GM deems saleable on a new model) are the most risky as they are generally captured fleet vehicles and used to do fast feedback for GM. If there are intial problems with design they will be seen in these vehicles. They are passed to alot of different employees and who knows how they are driven.

The type of GM vehicle you want is an executive vehicle (Directors and above get a company car and generally a higher end one like the V). These are driven my older more responsible men who are not going to beat the piss out of them in there suits and ties.

There are also a pool of FUN vehicles vettes, camaros, V's etc. that all employees of GM get to take home for a week once a quarter. These get beat pretty hard.

About 7 yrs back I use to do some work for my local Cadillac dealer. They would buy 'Executive' cars through an internal GM auction site called Smart Auction. Not sure if they still do it that way. The cars, which were then held at various facilities scattered around Detroit, would get picked up and brought back to PA.

Most were very clean and had, at most, only 2 or 3K miles, so I doubt they ever made it to the first routine service before being sold. The buying dealer would service and detail them and sell them as new "Executive" cars, since they had never been registered, arriving with the manufacturers certificate of origin.

Only the GM dealer can issue CPO warranty and they would have no need to do that, because it was still a 'new' car.

I bought a 2004 CTS exec car and never had any issues with.

Thanks for the comments on the manufacturer cars. Is there any way one can tell whether they were executive cars or "fun" cars? The ones I'm looking at have over 10k miles each and so couldn't be sold as new in any shape or form.

Had an s2000 previously and it is certainly the best manual trans I have ever used. The manual in the V is excellent, though not quite as good as the s2000. Clutch is fine for daily driving and not too heavy. Shifter is precise, but throws are a bit long. I find it to be better than the one in my BMW.

I appreciate the comparison from someone who knows the S2000!

thebigjimsho
09-09-12, 09:44 PM

However, does the S2000 have 551lb/ft of torque? The manual is extra easy because you don't have to shift as much...

doc_spartan
09-10-12, 12:43 AM
I have a 13 MT wagon with Recarro's.

I would not describe the clutch as light...if I lived in a high stop and go traffic area I would not enjoy this nearly as much as I do.

If you like having a soda in the cup holder it interferes with your arm / shifter position.

Of course none of that matters....when you shift out of first into second, and give it a little gas it's like nothing else ever.....as the wall street journal guy said..."take it up to 4000 rpms, slip the clutch, your brain dims like its midnight on the green mile, and where ever you were you ain't anymore.

If you live anywhere near Waterloo IA your welcome to come give it a try.

MacBuster
09-10-12, 02:41 AM

In a previous job life my wife was a GM manager/executive. (She has now moved on to working for an oil company. Thank God. GM isn't a particularly good company as an employee, IMO.) Anyway, we had a Z06 home for a couple of weeks once. The car was eventually sold through a dealership and it ended up local. I actually ran into the subsequent owner in a grocery store, and as luck would have it, he had bought the exact unit that had been in use as the Executive Demo. I recognized a couple of the door and wheel dings.

Anyway, I got chatting with the guy, who was very proud of his Z06. I did not have the heart to tell him what I had done to his baby.

It would be like running into an old fling at the grocery store and telling her new husband... "your wife was a dirty, dirty girl."

neuronbob
09-10-12, 06:49 AM
However, does the S2000 have 551lb/ft of torque? The manual is extra easy because you don't have to shift as much...

Yeah, I would suppose that having lots of torque would help. :). S2000 was made to be an F1 homage, so part of the experience is to rev to 9k rpm and to have laser-sharp handling. It is a unique experience and I enjoy it for what it is. It makes driving my torque momster V that much sweeter.