: Interior Noise; Driving me nuts!

MCNE
09-07-12, 05:50 PM
Hello,

I have a problem with a noise coming from the rear passenger side cabin. Itís a little hard to describe but it sound like a rattle of something being loose. At first I thought it was coming from the rear door but after I sat in the back it seems localized over my right shoulder (pic). Now itís does not happen all the time but can be reproduce it when driving over a speed bump. I did have the rear checked at the dealership and they replaced a couple of small stabilizer bars (not the problem).

Any rough road I hear this noise almost like a speaker is loose or something is loose with the shock but I would think the dealership would have found that (shock). Before I start having things torn apart I thought to see if anyone has experienced anything like this before.

- Ok change because I can't attach or insert the picture. I'll look into why when I have more time but size it not the issue. Basically coming from around the rear headrest area/airbag the best that I can tell.

2007 STS 1SG

Thanks,

MCNE

carter's_sts
09-07-12, 07:17 PM
Noises are a drag. I hate them. A lot of the time the noise source is not where you think because it gets telegraphed and reflected around.

Best thing is to have someone else drive and you climb around and listen for it. I have even ridden in the trunk before to find noises (no not very safe).

Cadjiek
09-07-12, 08:37 PM
OK. I have to jump in on this one. I had so many rattles with my 07 sts it was pathetic. If you have a sunroof, push up on the glass and see if that helps. I hate to say it but I'm really enjoying the quiet ride of my new XTS. The sunroof on my sts had a terrible rattle. When I first heard it it sounded like it was coming from the console!! Carter is right. These rattles will telegraph all over the place.

Cadjiek

EChas3
09-07-12, 09:31 PM
^^^ Carter's right about car noises being tricky. It always sounds like a noise in the rear when I neglect to secure my sun visor!

MCNE
09-07-12, 11:16 PM
Yeah this has been going on for months and I've just had enough. This for it to be fixed but we've narrowed it down to a couple of triggers. One I can duplicate it rolling over a speed bump on the right side of the car. Two its the rear wheel the impact that make it happen. Again I don’t believe it’s the suspension. I'll try the sun roof but it’s a long shot.

Also this car was a quite as can be when I bought it. This came on with age.

madmanmogan
09-07-12, 11:26 PM
I had a rattle that drove me crazy. I ended up one day at a light running my hand down the back of the passenger seat and at the bottom I could feel a plastic piece. I remember that it felt very loose and I was going to look at it closer once I stopped but after I messed with it I never heard the rattle again. I cant really tell you what the piece is or looks like since I didnt get in the back and look (i am disabled and it would be difficult for me to do).

aliskerov
09-08-12, 12:52 PM
I've fixed some rattles in my sts, but the sunroof one kicks my ass. It has nothing to do with the tightening of the glass panel, it sounds like it's coming from the mechanism itself, or, perhaps it's a poorly insulated drain pipe hitting the headliner ir metal roof...I'd love to hear if someone finds a way to fix it; drives me absolutely insane.

EChas3
09-08-12, 03:44 PM
Body/paint shops know sunroofs much better than front-line service. Where would you take your car after a fender-bender?

MCNE
09-09-12, 02:22 PM
I guess I'll start with removing the back seats to track this down. It has to be smething simple; most people probably wouldn't even care. I have another car to drive so I can take my time with this.

Can anyone point me in the direction with highlevel seat removal instructions?

ddalder
09-15-12, 12:12 AM
I had a noise that sounds exactly like you have described. It sounded like it was coming from the right rear door and was reproduced going over bumps or rough roads. It turned out to be the rear shock. The GM technician rode in the trunk around the parking lot and could hear it using a special microphone he attached to the top. He also said he could feel it when he put his fingers on top of the shock. Based on what I was hearing, I would swear it wasn't coming from there, but a new shock later and the problem is fixed.

EChas3
09-15-12, 01:12 AM
Pro's know stuff.

buzz
09-16-12, 01:16 AM
We had the problem last spring. It turned out to be a broken shock. The dealer replaced both under warranty and no more rattle noise.

Loren
09-16-12, 01:53 PM
I had the same problem with mine, this may sound nuts but it was the driver side sun shade, it wasn't latched down and was rattling against the base.

Relate27
09-16-12, 02:43 PM
I have a 2007 sts4 and for last few weeks I had been having that same issue. every time I would go over a speed bump or pothole I would hear a rattle/noise coming from Right passenger seat. I took it into the dealer and they diagnosed my shock being out. they replaced the shock and all if good, now i swear i am hearing noises coming from the front shock now lol... good luck !

MCNE
09-24-12, 09:04 PM
I had a noise that sounds exactly like you have described. It sounded like it was coming from the right rear door and was reproduced going over bumps or rough roads. It turned out to be the rear shock. The GM technician rode in the trunk around the parking lot and could hear it using a special microphone he attached to the top. He also said he could feel it when he put his fingers on top of the shock. Based on what I was hearing, I would swear it wasn't coming from there, but a new shock later and the problem is fixed.
I stopped at a Goodyear shop tonight after work to look forsome tires and mentioned my little issue. I specifically wanted to know if theycould look at my rear shock. I was told to come back when I can drop the car,although I caught the manager’s curiosity so he took a ride with me. We both came to the same conclusion that the shock/Strut could have an issue. He actually road in the back and stuck his hand behind my seat as I went over speed bumps. Now that's going above and beyond I would say! I wanted to give the guy a tip J
My car has 3 months remaining on the CPO so I'm going back to Cadillac to have them look at this ASAP.

Actually will my CPO even cover the shocks...I need to check.

MCNE

MCNE
10-09-12, 03:40 PM
Closing the loop here but it looks like the Cadillac Dealership found the problem. They replaced and spot welded in a new door striker Apparently to old unit was loose or no longer secure and was causing the issue. I told them I didnt want to car back until it was fixed (7 days). Part I beleive they replaced...20801141.

Hopefully this might help someone else down the road.

TW

carter's_sts
10-09-12, 08:39 PM
Glad you got it fixed. That took them a long time.

ddalder
10-09-12, 10:52 PM
That's interesting. I'm going to investigate this further. During my last mod I disassembled quite a number of parts of the car. I've had some clunks going over bumps. One was diagnosed as the right rear shock. Replacement helped, but didn't completely solve the problem. There is a bulletin that applies to some STS's regarding brake calipers making a clunk as well. A specific VIN range in/around the 2008 model year also had a known issue with seat belt guide bolts causing a creak. The latest I've discovered is the XM receiver module on the top side of the rear deck shifts around without much effort, despite GM having installed a small amount of flocking tape. Additionally, there is a 10mm bolt that holds the module carrier in place on the underside of the rear deck. Mine was loose allowing the bracket holding the rear park assist module, rear integration module and remote control door lock receiver to bang. I also found the manual release cable for the trunk was able to strike the rear deck underside module carrier, some of the sheet metal and the amp. After applying flocking tape, foam tape and tightening things up, clunks/rattles are much less. There is still something I'd swear is coming from my LH 'B' pillar, but I've got to go for a drive with a friend to track it down. There seems to be a lot of problematic pieces on these cars (at least mine)!

malatu
10-10-12, 11:47 AM
He actually road in the back and stuck his hand behind my seat as I went over speed bumps.
:canttalk:

I did chuckle a bit!

ddalder
10-21-12, 01:22 AM
Closing the loop here but it looks like the Cadillac Dealership found the problem. They replaced and spot welded in a new door striker Apparently to old unit was loose or no longer secure and was causing the issue. I told them I didnt want to car back until it was fixed (7 days). Part I beleive they replaced...20801141.

Hopefully this might help someone else down the road.

TW
Thank you! I believe this is helping me right now :) I had a closer look at mine tonight and I suspect this is exactly what's wrong with mine. All four are "clicking" which is what's driving me crazy. This most often occurs as slower speeds, going over bumps or potholes. I'm going to replace them and see. I'm very optimistic this will solve my problem.

gsandhu
10-21-12, 01:35 AM
I have cutoff installed in my 2012 ctsv sedan an when I am at around 3000 rpm this annoying like rattling thing that sounds like a tiny loose spinning plastic wheel just annoys the hell out of me ... I have no freaking idea what it is :/

MCNE
10-23-12, 03:28 AM
Hey! Glad this is helping others. I swore I had an issue with the shock but who would have thought. I hope the other door doesn't have this same issue. My warranty is up in two months so I need to start saving for repairs again :(

ddalder
10-23-12, 10:09 PM
I found all four of mine are doing this. I'm starting to think this may be fairly common. The replacement parts are stocked in Canada. There are almost never parts for either of my cars in Canada so this in itself says something. On the positive side, the part is quite inexpensive.

ddalder
10-24-12, 11:25 PM
I replaced all four of my door strikes today and surprise... no more annoying noises. I grabbed each one (of the originals) and gave them a good wiggle and they all made a clicking noise. Driving down the road with the noise radiating and forces a little stronger than my grip translated to more of a clunk sound. There is definitely a design change from the original part to the new one.

Many thanks to the OP for this thread. This was really grating on my nerves and I didn't know where to go next. Now I'm not sure that I needed a new shock on the left. Replacing it changed the noise a little (or so it seemed), but never eliminated it. Glad I'm not looking at a $1,000+ shock for the left (yes, that's what GM sells them for in Canada).

In both photos, the new part is on the left (P/N: 20801141) and the original is on the right (P/N: 15883584).

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Miscellaneous/IMG_3872.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/dda1080/_STS%20Miscellaneous/IMG_3875.jpg

MCNE
10-24-12, 11:46 PM
Did you need to spot weld in any area? Not sure why they told me that was needed unless it was the mounting area. Still for a little over 100 bucks i couldnt be happier.

ddalder
10-24-12, 11:57 PM
No, didn't need to spot weld anything. This is an easy do-it-yourself repair for anyone who has this problem. I was very careful because I didn't know if there was a backing plate that would fall into the body when I removed the screws. I can't speak for pre-2008 cars, but there were no concerns with my '08. They may have spot welded the rivet on the back just as a precaution so this wouldn't develop the same play down the road. The rivets are inserted and then stamped. I suppose the problem may come back, but they do seem to be a little different design from the original. I'm hoping the design change was to correct this problem.

From what I saw with my inspection camera, they wouldn't be able to spot weld the mounting area for a rear door since there doesn't seem to be any way to access the back/inside the body. Front door would be possible I believe.

Ludacrisvp
10-25-12, 08:49 AM
Replacing the shock likely just reduced the amount of vibrations that were able to affect the striker in effect reducing the noise but not eliminating it. Based on the pics looks like it was redesigned to a simpler form that looks more solid. Will have to check mine out. Same part number for both front doors?

ddalder
10-25-12, 09:15 AM
Same part number for all four doors.

Ludacrisvp
10-25-12, 12:32 PM
Same part number for all four doors.
Hmm I guess I assumed the back doors would have been different due to likely being at an angle or something. (I dont open the back doors too often to have paid much attention.)

MCNE
10-25-12, 12:50 PM
The dealer also took my door penel off and looked inside the door. Thats probably where the spot weld took place.

ddalder
10-25-12, 06:46 PM
The dealer also took my door penel off and looked inside the door. Thats probably where the spot weld took place.
That's possible I suppose. It would be interesting to know.

Hmm I guess I assumed the back doors would have been different due to likely being at an angle or something. (I dont open the back doors too often to have paid much attention.)
Always worth confirming. They may be different in some vehicles, but not these.

Ludacrisvp
10-25-12, 06:51 PM
I just am skeptical of any dealer doing any form of welding on a car.

ddalder
10-25-12, 07:04 PM
I guess it depends. If the dealership has a body shop, I wouldn't be too concerned.

MCNE
10-25-12, 10:18 PM
Ill need to pull the invoice again but they did go inside the door. Something was making noise in there as well when the drove the car.

Also yes they have a body shop. One of the reasons they took so long. Was not a problem because I have fours cars but this time they nailed the problem.

Ludacrisvp
08-20-13, 02:47 PM
Ill need to pull the invoice again but they did go inside the door. Something was making noise in there as well when the drove the car..
Ever find out what it was in the door that they welded?