: What do you thinks about all the car restoration flipper shows?

orconn
09-07-12, 03:45 PM
There sure do seem to be a lot of new shows on TV featuring shops that specialize in buying derelict cars "restoring" them (I use the term loosely) and then flipping them at auction. Ki nd of like the house "flippers" of a few years ago .... fixed the most obvious and cover up the rest and hope some sucker will take it off your hands.

Maybe the "Pawn Shop" guru shows have had their run and the cheap programming cycle is getting truly desperate!

cadillac kevin
09-07-12, 04:15 PM
There sure do seem to be a lot of new shows on TV featuring shops that specialize in buying derelict cars "restoring" them (I use the term loosely) and then flipping them at auction. Ki nd of like the house "flippers" of a few years ago .... fixed the most obvious and cover up the rest and hope some sucker will take it off your hands.

Maybe the "Pawn Shop" guru shows have had their run and the cheap programming cycle is getting truly desperate!

I do like counting cars on history (although they don't flip cars at auction). Last night, I watched a show on arts and entertainment channel called "car wars texas" and it was pretty bad. Take "storage wars texas" and "gas monkey garage" and toss them together and you get "car wars texas". A bunch of posers with fake rivalries will somehow make money on warmed over clapped out POS's, only thanks to the unlimited budget allotted by the show and the insanely high "resale values" that their warmed over piece of crap will bring. Someone paid 4k for a trashed out xterra that didnt run, and another of the people from the show shelled out 2500 (I think?) for a clapped out "bullet bird" Tbird.

Aron9000
09-07-12, 04:54 PM
Counting Cars is actually fun. That guy has a good sense of "taste" IMO, plus some of the custom fab work they do in that shop is just amazing. Taking that handicapped guy's harley and putting a sidecar on it so he can ride it was pretty damn badass.

orconn
09-07-12, 05:06 PM
Yeah, "Counting Cars" are the History Channel at least is somewhat entertaining. It was fun to see Elvira again!

"Pawn Stars" is pretty weak and the spinoff on restoration is also a loser. But "Cajun Pawn" at least has some interesting characters .... sort of! It is sad that so much TV tine is taken up with this kind of fluff.

The-Dullahan
09-07-12, 06:44 PM
If discovery can buy all those Imperials to blow up on Mythbusters, they can buy me parts for my Cadillac and make a show where I fix it myself and other peoples' cars. Then I will do Kevin's, Sting's Craig's and Murdock's cars to wrap up the season.

Didn't History have a show about some punkasses in a mercedes Hearse touring skateparks? Never seen it, but heard about it. The Hearse in question was on Ebay last week. I despise Mercedes, especially as Hearses.

That being said, Elvira is awesome in person to hang out with. Had lunch with her and Robert Englund once.

drewsdeville
09-07-12, 06:59 PM
Not a fan of most of these types of shows, but I did thoroughly enjoy Overhaulin' when it was still on.

Stingroo
09-07-12, 07:05 PM
Drew - they're bringing that back.

drewsdeville
09-07-12, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I heard, it's great. However, I no longer subscribe to any TV service, so I'll miss most of it until it comes available by other means.

Stingroo
09-07-12, 07:17 PM
Same.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-07-12, 07:49 PM
There's a few on Velocity that I really enjoy:

1- Carfellas. Three guidos run a used car lot in upstate NY. Shenanigans ensue.
2- South Beach Motors. Cool dude & his gorgeous wife run a classic car restoration & sales business. Lots of sweet rides featured every week.

brandondeleo
09-07-12, 07:50 PM
Wheeler Dealers!

Kad4Life
09-07-12, 08:51 PM
Mecum, can't believe what some stuff is going for .
A '63 Pontiac Catalina Drag car 570K ... FTW !!

tsgrpr97
09-07-12, 08:56 PM
There's a few on Velocity that I really enjoy:

1- Carfellas. Three guidos run a used car lot in upstate NY. Shenanigans ensue.
2- South Beach Motors. Cool dude & his gorgeous wife run a classic car restoration & sales business. Lots of sweet rides featured every week.

Did either of these ever start a second season?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-07-12, 09:55 PM
Carfellas did, but not sure about South Beach Motors.

CadillacLuke24
09-07-12, 10:56 PM
That gas monkey garage show is kinda cool, and overhaulin' is kinda cool too, but if you want a reality show, go follow Joe Schmoe around as he restores his '69 Camaro SS396 while working a fulltime job and caring for the wifey and kids. THAT would be some good tv.

cadillac kevin
09-07-12, 10:59 PM
That gas monkey garage show is kinda cool, and overhaulin' is kinda cool too, but if you want a reality show, go follow Joe Schmoe around as he restores his '69 Camaro SS396 while working a fulltime job and caring for the wifey and kids. THAT would be some good tv.

But that show would take 10 years and be boring as all get out (no nearly constant high stress situations or nearly impossible deadlines, rivalries, or any of that mostly made up/ fabricated for the show bullcrap which makes people watch "reality TV".)

77CDV
09-08-12, 12:08 AM
It's all brain candy....

orconn
09-08-12, 12:13 AM
^^^ More like bad deep fried food!

77CDV
09-08-12, 12:17 AM
Mmmmm.....deep fried..... :drool:

The-Dullahan
09-08-12, 01:05 AM
I'll be honest, the only two of these shows that have been mentioned that I have ever even heard of are "Overhaulin'" and "Pawn Stars"

I have, IIRC, thirteen television sets throughout my home. I do not watch any of them. Still, though I didn't watch it back then and wouldn't watch it now, it is good to know Overhaulin' is coming back. I have heard they do good things and do them for good people. Good to know.

Aron9000
09-08-12, 01:21 AM
Wheeler Dealers!

That's a great show. Lots of useful info on that show. Although I think sometimes they are completely unrealistic on their budget and what your handy shade tree mechanic can accomplish. I remember they bought a Porsche 911 with a grinding gearbox. Had to completely drop the engine/transaxle/rear cradle out of the car using a lift, IMO it was a huge job that was way way way out of the skill set of most people. Same thing when they bought a rusty Mini, dude was there fabricating patch panels with compound curves for the front fender/rocker, once again only a master bodyman could've made it look as good as him.

Playdrv4me
09-08-12, 04:01 AM
I'm a reality TV junkie, and the problem most of these shows suffer from (with the exception of some shows purpose built as entertainment or demonstration like the Powerblock or Wheeler Dealers) is that there comes a point of critical mass where it becomes blatantly obvious that the cast's income stream from being awful actors has outweighed whatever "business" they had in "reality". Cory, Rick, Chum-Lee and the old man are the modern equivalent of Leave it to Beaver. Same goes for the original Storage Wars crew, and the Rick's Restorations and Counting Cars crews were handed fortune on a silver platter with the Pawn Stars association.

I've said it numerous times that if there were ever an entertainment company I'd bet my dollars on its A&E Networks, including A&E and History. THIS OUTFIT PRINTS MONEY.

That's not to say I don't still enjoy all four of the shows above, as well as many of their "generic" counterparts on TruTV and spike, but I find myself rolling my eyes much more frequently at scenarios I know are set up purely for the TV value, like Cory buying Chum-Lee a Harley that he could most certainly afford for himself (ok that one might be a bad example... even obscenely wealthy people buy eachother nice gifts, right? But the whole Sturgis setup was horribly cheesy) or worse, BLATANT forced advertising such as the recent episodes of American Pickers where they always have lunch at Subway. I especially love Storage Wars scenarios where Brandi and Jared mention not feeding their kids if they don't bring back some new inventory RIGHT NOW. Give me a break.

And on the subject of Counting Cars, I'm sure most truly good and hardworking resto shops will tell you that so easily expecting 10, 15, and 30,000.00 profits from every project is a pipe dream.

These shows are always the most fun when they're fresh off the cutting room floor. Cajun Pawn Stars, "Shipping Wars" and Speed's "Hard Parts - South Bronx" are a great example of this, because they still don't have a guaranteed paycheck from TV land... yet.

ben.gators
09-08-12, 07:40 AM
Wheeler dealers

One of my favorite shows! Sometimes I start to think that English people produce the best car shows!

South Beach Classics
I like the show! Ted, the owner, is a very cool guy. But his wife doesn't have a likable character!

What's my car worth?

I like this show and the seasons that two dealers and one representative from auction America are in the show are my favorite. The bald dealer is the coolest dealer that I have seen in my life! Mrs. Lorraine McKiniry, the host, is the bonus on top of everything else. I think she has a contract with Cadillac too!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/300399_516593908356933_1460640404_n.jpg

You can find more pictures of her with Cadillac from here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/franklinteng/6362627765/

Desert Car Kings

I do hate this show! It is very obvious that everything is scripted! Yes, I know, many of such reality shows are partially or completely scripted, but normally producera try to hide this fact. But this subject is too much obvious in "Desert Car Kings"! Also there are couple of very annoying characters in this show. ​Jason, the son, or the mechanic with long hairs are on top of my dislike list!

There is a reality show that has nothing to do with cars, named Call of the wild man, and I do love the show! Yes, the show is scripted, and turtle man does a lot of exaggerations, but he is such a cool guy that I love watching the show!
http://jhansonphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/jhanson_turtleman_tear01.jpg

Stingroo
09-08-12, 07:59 AM
@ Ian: I like Storage Wars, but yeah Brandi is full of shit. Now they have like, a new F350 and an STS or something.

She's also a major c*ntasaurus regina. I hope she gets run over by a bus.

DouglasJRizzo
09-08-12, 08:00 AM
It's the same kind of disaster to the old car hobby that the '80s speculation craze was. Every idiot and his brother will drive prices up on nice bread and butter old rides hoping to finance their next house, then CRASH.. it takes a pitch over the edge.

I remember when the 59 Biarritz craze was going on, then WHAM.. White Post got stuck with one about 3/4 complete and took a bath on it. The owner bailed when the market tanked. They weren't the only house to get slammed that way either.

You restore an old car because you like the car, and you make it a labor of love. If you're strictly in it for the money, you're going to get bit, hard. And deserve it.

thebigjimsho
09-08-12, 09:22 AM
Yeah when I saw Chumlee rolling in a Maserati Gran Turismo on TMZ, I knew I had to take that show with a grain of salt.

The-Dullahan
09-08-12, 04:19 PM
It's all brain candy....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m12wzgtN0m1qheak6o1_500.jpg

Mmmmmm. Brain candy.

77CDV
09-08-12, 05:01 PM
^I am intrigued.

The-Dullahan
09-09-12, 12:45 AM
I have...unique friends. I don't really do Candy, but I make rare exceptions.

77CDV
09-09-12, 03:18 AM
Dress them up however you like, chocolate + walnuts = happy me! :)

donwon
09-09-12, 04:59 AM
The way they hurry up to finish a car by working all night, I wouldn't buy one of those cars.
I do watch the shows to see some of the cars and Elvira. I didn't know she was still around.

Gary Veeeee
09-09-12, 08:25 AM
I watch a few of the shows that offer some educational value. Reality TV is going way too far and is starting to get over redundant. Pawn stars is great the gas monkey garage loud and fast has a good flair to it and I like the car building show with Chip Foose. I think the show that offers the most talent is American restoration that was a spinoff from pawn stars. I think his name is Rick Vail. This guy can fix anything ,some of the stuff people bring to him to restore basically looks like rusted junk. When he gets a hold of it it looks like brand-new ,from cars ,motorcycles ,jukeboxes and Coke machines this guy is truly talented at his profession and is well educated on the history of items he reconditions. Next time Im in Vegas I would like to check his place out. Another good show that gives you some educational value on history is American Pickers. You can learn a lot from their show too. What I can't stand is the shows they put on that is screaming and yelling drama BS. These shows make no sense such as the repo guys and the other pawn shop I think in Jersey on a diff channel. However, some people like that stuff , this is just my opinion ...

brandondeleo
09-10-12, 04:08 AM
Personally, Coddington > Foose... Just me.

b4z
09-30-12, 02:11 PM
The show, desert salvage or whatever it is called does some of the worst paint jobs I have seen. Every now and then the camera gets too close and the paint quality it atrocious.

jayoldschool
10-01-12, 09:32 PM
Personally, Coddington > Foose... Just me.

Boyd did ONE big thing for hot rodding: brought billet to the mainstream. That's it. His best cars were designed by Chip (and others), and never reached that pinnacle again after Chip left. He was also a scumbag with the way he handled the public offering of "Boyd's" wheels, ran the company into bankruptcy, then immediately came out with his own "Boyd Coddington" wheels. I respect his early stuff (real early, see early 80s HOT ROD), but he died a bitter old man whose time had passed by. Chip is so far beyond Boyd that to compare them is silly. He also seems like a genuinely nice/happy person (and no, I haven't met him or Boyd).

orconn
10-01-12, 09:41 PM
It seems to me that these guys seem to think that they can sell moderately warmed over junk for thoroughly restored cars. I mean it seems like most of the cars one sees these guys flip are cosmetically cleaned up heaps done under the pressure of time and money with little regard for the qulaity or futre reliabilty of their product. One would think that their quality, as on dislplay on their TV shows, would make potential buyers really leary of buying anything they "restored."

cadillac kevin
10-01-12, 09:51 PM
It seems to me that these guys seem to think that they can sell moderately warmed over junk for thoroughly restored cars. I mean it seems like most of the cars one sees these guys flip are cosmetically cleaned up heaps done under the pressure of time and money with little regard for the qulaity or futre reliabilty of their product. One would think that their quality, as on dislplay on their TV shows, would make potential buyers really leary of buying anything they "restored."

Yup. Like on the episode of fast and loud I watched, Richard was pissed at a 10 y/o for calling out that his "hot rod" wagon had no interior aside from seat covers and has a rusty undercarriage (to make it more authentic (i.e. we're lazy asses and don't care about a finished product),) which richard shrugged off as a "style or culture or some B.S. he pulled out of his butt" as the kids dad happily paid 20k for a rusty piece of trash that I wouldn't pay 1500 for. If I had done the crap quality of work on their car on my own car, I would have been laughed at for doing crap work. But they do it on TV, so its totally ok.

talismandave
10-02-12, 03:00 AM
I totally agree with Jay on everything he said about Boyd and Chip. Foose is someone, that from everything I have ever seen or read about him, I would like to meet and spend time with. Boyd...never got that feeling about.