: Grumble... Granite Curb Stone VS. Black Satin Wheel... Yay Curb Rash!

NickCat
09-06-12, 09:11 PM

The curb won of course... 2 mph while parking on a rural side street.

Gotta love when the granite curb stones get nice and old and lean outward about 5-10 degrees so the top is like a hot knife just waiting to slide through the melted butter that is aluminum.

So in defense, I've already ordered a set of these: http://www.wheelbands.com/
(I'm going black on black so they will be nearly invisible... but I'm also ordering a yellow set of inserts... just in case I feel a little crazy)
http://www.wheelbands.com/images/gallery/F150-white-wheel-closeup.jpg
(an example pic from their site on an F150)

I also ordered some touchup from Duplicolor to hopefully clean up the disaster site a bit before I apply the bands.

Worst of all... I was going to pick up a set of these about 6 months ago, then talked myself out of it. *kicks own ass*

I figured worst case it all looks terrible and at some point I get a new wheel or I wait until I've hosed up the other 3 and get the entire set repaired and painted.

McGuffy
09-06-12, 09:22 PM
Ouch. That wouldn't hurt any less if it were your own flesh.

NickCat
09-06-12, 09:31 PM
Ouch. That wouldn't hurt any less if it were your own flesh.

I'd have preferred that!!! :)

Neosporin is WAY cheaper than paint! ;)

tkracing
09-07-12, 01:55 AM
Sorry to see that... I just did the same but opted for a replacement on EBay.

Mike02z
09-07-12, 08:09 AM
399 per wheel for new OEM GM satin graphite wheels on eBay. I got my set there as I didn't like the polished wheels.

NickCat
09-07-12, 04:03 PM
Sorry to see that... I just did the same but opted for a replacement on EBay.

399 per wheel for new OEM GM satin graphite wheels on eBay. I got my set there as I didn't like the polished wheels.

Good to know... thanks guys!

brickfrenzy
09-08-12, 12:07 PM
I did the exact same thing to 2 of my wheels :( So in the short term I just colored in the scraped parts with a black sharpie, and I'll worry about it later, because I'm sure I'll screw up the rest of the wheels as well.

smackdownCTSV
09-08-12, 05:45 PM
Curb the other side too, get 2 new wheels and use the curbed wheels for DR's.

Xaqtly
09-10-12, 06:11 PM
I curbed one of mine too... STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID. I thought I had a good angle into a parking space, but I was too close to the curb on the driver's side. I can't stand it when that happens. I think I'm going to plastidip the rashed area so it appears black.