: Clicking rotors...new Tech Order

Metacomet
09-06-12, 06:12 PM
What a clusterf...

Cadillac has now decided that the problem with the clicking front rotors is the far cheaper lug nut retorqueing fix

Took my 2011 CTS-V Wagon in with the chattering brakes

Dealer confirmed the racket and ordered the replacement rotors

Went in today as they had called to let me know the parts had arrived, and was advised that the rotor replacement bulletin had been revised back to the lug nut fix

After waiting a week for the parts to arrive, they changed the fix

They say can't put on the rotors cause Cadillac won't pay for them

Surprise, surprise

Of course they can't do the lug nut fix either, cause they don't have those parts either

Say they'll call me in a week to come in the 3rd time to get the brake racket fixed

Wonder when I'll be back in the market for a $70,000 GM car

Gary Veeeee
09-07-12, 10:24 AM
I'm having the same issue myself I've had the car for three weeks and been to shop three times I'm starting to get really pissed.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-07-12, 10:53 AM
Metacomet & Gary Veeeeee, email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to contact your dealerships next week and create service request cases for you to officially document your frustrations. I'm so sorry to see that you both continue to be exasperated with your clicking concerns!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Kingoftypos
09-07-12, 11:58 AM
There was another from NY too who was at the Meet and Greet in Englishtown, NJ last year. The latest news from his dealer was to tighten the lugs at over 200 lbs. According to his dealer, GM recommended that torque. We both said "yeah right". I highly doubt that a company would want to have lug nuts torque on so tight that they won't be able to be taken off with the wrench in the trunk. Besides, the lugs probably won't be able to handle that much pressure.

I must ask the both of you. When does this clicking happen? Light braking, hard braking or both? When you brake in a straight line, or when turning into a parking space?

KOT

Gary Veeeee
09-07-12, 12:13 PM
Mine does it with no breaking at all I hear it mostly at slow speeds with slight turn or hard turn. If I listen closely with the window down I can hear it in fast turn also. Itis extremely loud to to the point where if I'm in a parking lot at a local convenience store people actually turn
Their head to see what's coming it's almost embarrassing. I like when people turn their heads for the car, but not for this like we use to put the baseball cards in the bicycle spokes.

Kingoftypos
09-07-12, 12:46 PM
Let me guess, when brought into the dealer, they can't micmic the clicking when on the lift? Do they at least concur there is a clicking noise when driving around the parking lot at the dealer?

If it doesn't make the clicking when on the lift, then at tells me that it needs to have pressure in order to produce the sound. With out hearing it, I am thinking that there is wrong with the wheel and hub mating surface.

When I had my clicking noise, it was because I did something stupid. Some how, I didn't tighten all of my lugs. After a week or so of driving, my driver's rear wheel got looser and started to hear clicking noises. Turn to find out, 3 out of 5 lugs were finger tight. Obviously, you and your dealer have looked at that already. However, there is one more theory. That the wheel and hubs do not line up with the lugs.

For example, my CTS which is 1st gen can not use the wheels from any of the 2nd gen CTS. Because my lugs are at 115 by 5. While yours is at 120 by 5. However, there are several other sizes between that can "closely" match up. I hate to say it, but is it possible that someone screwed up at the manufacture plant? Absolutely. Either the wrong hubs were installed, or the wrong wheels. Or even the wrong lug nuts. I don't know, it's just my thoughts with out seeing the car. Perhaps you can tell the dealer about the SLIM possibility of one of the parts being wrong.

KOT

Gary Veeeee
09-07-12, 01:28 PM
Nope, when I turn into garage there is slight turn to the left into the bay area, they all
Hear it..I have a feeling they are not that experienced with the V. It is possible to have mismatched lugs dealers are always changing rims around had a similar issue with my Ram. Had to diff rims on front and rear.

Gary Veeeee
09-08-12, 05:26 PM
Well, got the car back last night and thank God we're fixed. The clicking seems to be solved for now I'm happy.

Kingoftypos
09-08-12, 06:51 PM
Do what did they say they did?

KOT

Gary Veeeee
09-08-12, 07:40 PM
As simple as it sounds the lugs were the fix .. However reading back threw the posts I think it's the stock polished rims.. There are many posts that state the noise went away when they changed rims. I think that's why some have it and some don't .

Metacomet
09-26-12, 01:49 PM
Update for clicking rotors

The noise was only apparent when I was edging into a parking space with the wheel turned

Of course that may have been that that was the only time other noise didn't mask the clicking

These are the black wheels on the Black Diamond edition

..anyway, the dealer got permission to install the rotors that had been previously ordered as well as lug nuts

Oh, while I was at it, and having been tipped off here to the possibility, mentioned what I had heard as a grumbling noise from the differential

Sure enough, it had the issue, and they tried changing out the lubricant...no luck

Now I will need to go back for the replacement differential gear set that has been ordered