: Lube Center filled engine with conventional oil

Mikes936
09-06-12, 12:48 PM
I took my 2008 STS with V-6 in for an oil change. I did not go to my regular place because i needed a car wash and, this place gave free washes with an oil change. Without asking me ( I did not authourize any deviation from Mobile One, which is what the vehicle has always used), they filled my engine with conventional PennzOil. After 1200 miles, the check engine light came on. When I took it to an authourized repair shop, they checked it out and told me that the conventional oil had damaged solenoids, cam gears and the timing chain. Cost $2442. Can you tell me if conventional oil would damage the engine that quickly? If so, I plan to take action against the Lube Center.

Thanks
Mikes936

Submariner409
09-06-12, 02:59 PM
Maybe CCC will chime in, but it's extremely doubtful that changing between conventional, synthetic blend, or synthetic oils would damage an engine in any way.

Unless you specifically noted on the work order and/or spoke to the lube tech face to face with your Mobil 1 concerns, you don't have a leg to stand on.

Does your oil fill cap and/or an engine sticker say "Mobil 1 only" and does your owner's manual specifically recommend only Mobil 1 ?

Rolex
09-07-12, 09:02 AM
:moved: to the STS forum.

And this is the first time I've ever heard of oil damaging an engine. Smells funny to me.

dkozloski
09-07-12, 11:24 AM
Most V-6 installations do not include an oil cooler and absolutely require synthetic oil for its heat resistance. That being said, the result would be a lot of black oil and sludge and not parts failure.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-07-12, 11:53 AM
Mike, I browsed through your owners manual for you and see that page 5-20 of your owners manual says to look for three things when it comes to knowing which oil is alright to use:

• GM4718M
Your vehicle’s engine requires a special oil meeting
GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting this
standard may be identified as synthetic. However,
not all synthetic oils will meet this GM standard.
Look for and use only an oil that meets
GM Standard GM4718M.
Notice: If you use oils that do not have the
GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
engine damage not covered by your warranty.

• SAE 5W-30
As shown in the viscosity chart, SAE 5W-30 is best
for your vehicle.
These numbers on an oil container show its
viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity
oils such as SAE 20W-50.

• Oils meeting these requirements should
have the starburst symbol on the container.
This symbol indicates that the oil has
been certified by the American Petroleum
Institute (API). Look for this on the oil container, and use only those
oils that are identified as meeting GM Standard
GM4718M and have the starburst symbol on the front of
the oil container.

Your manual also points out "GM Standard GM4718M may not be available. You can add substitute oil designated SAE 5W-30 with the starburst symbol at all temperatures. Substitute oil not meeting GM Standard GM4718M should not be used for an oil change."

If you use oils that do not have the GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
engine damage not covered by your warranty.

If you'd like me to look into it further, please email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

KRSTS
09-07-12, 01:18 PM
GM can still use this as a reason not to honor a warranty.

Mrsanders3960
09-07-12, 01:31 PM
My two cents: I stay away from Pennzoil and the people who peddle it because I have seen the damage first hand after use. Years ago, rebuilt the engine in a 1992 Galant. Something went wrong and the timing belt broke after about 3500 miles. When the mechanic started taking the engine apart again he discovered some concerns and begin to open it up. Discovered that the Pennzoil was already beginning to clog ports and sludge out the engine again. Now the crazy is at 3500 I had already on my second oil change (first was after 1000 miles to checkup). I would not put that crap in my lawnmower. By the way, I don't know how it is where you are, but every dealer here in DFW (Texas) will wash your caddy with any service.

Submariner409
09-07-12, 01:50 PM
My two cents: I stay away from Pennzoil and the people who peddle it because I have seen the damage first hand after use.

So by default, Shell Oil, Quaker State, Pennzoil and Shell products (all made/mixed/marketed/sold by SOPUS - Shell Oil Products U.S.) are all "crap" ???

Nice try.

StuSTS
09-07-12, 02:10 PM
A few questions...

1) Did you tell them to use Mobil 1 and did they agree/
2) Do you have anything in writing confirming you required Mobil 1 and/or paid for synthetic oil?
3) If you knew they put in conventional oil, why didn't they change it the same day after the mistake was noticed?

Not having good answers to these questions will make it extremely unlikely you'll have success fighting the oil change shop.

1BadCadSTS
09-07-12, 02:35 PM
Reason why it says Mobil 1 on the oil thats ALL I use...

Avoid the issue before its created...

curtc
09-07-12, 02:45 PM
This is why I have mine changed at the local GM dealer. A lot of places don't use Mobil 1, but you are guaranteed to get it from GM, free car wash too at my local dealer, and every 6th oil change is half price...for about $15 more than doing it myself, they can have it for $15...

malatu
09-07-12, 02:54 PM
Do you think the timing chain was already shot before the oil change? How many miles on the car? Are the 2008 3.6 suspect to the timing chain problems associated with these engines?

Topless vette
09-07-12, 03:04 PM
Unreal... Apparentley someone at the shop that did the work on replacing the parts needed to go away for a weeks holidays or something. Did he give you the the old parts back ?? I always ask for my used parts back, who knows if they are mine or not, but I want em back.
just my 2 pennies.

scott9001
09-07-12, 06:18 PM
jeeze at my place of employment we wash and vacume every car that comes in unless its for emisions! i cant see conventional oil causing the problem and the oil company will stand up to there product normally if it can be proven to be caused by there product!

Subsailor613
09-07-12, 07:43 PM
I Walk in to my mechanics, and HAND them the oil, and filter, and they charge me $ 19.99 !
This way I know what oil is in my vehicle.

EChas3
09-07-12, 09:37 PM
^^^ Dittos Sub!

chazglenn3
09-08-12, 07:35 PM
I still do my own for reasons like this.

dkozloski
09-08-12, 08:48 PM
I Walk in to my mechanics, and HAND them the oil, and filter, and they charge me $ 19.99 !
This way I know what oil is in my vehicle.

I bet you take your own eggs to the restaurant too.

dl72
09-09-12, 03:01 PM
That is why if I take my car in to get an oil change, I bring Mobil 1 with me and give it to them to use. I just want them to change if and recycle the old oil.

PzNuts
09-10-12, 11:43 AM
Agreeing with the others. When a shop used to do oil changes for my car, I brought them the oil, filter, and told them to not touch anything else.

Regarding the issue at hand, I am not an expert but I have a hard time understanding why after 1200mi of the first oil change w/o full syn you would have issues unless sustained high speed/engine heat was involved. In which case, you should have the internals checked but I doubt they would find anything.

Mrsanders3960
09-12-12, 12:34 PM
So by default, Shell Oil, Quaker State, Pennzoil and Shell products (all made/mixed/marketed/sold by SOPUS - Shell Oil Products U.S.) are all "crap" ???

Nice try.

Not "trying" anything, simply stating my reality. And you are correct. I have only used mobile products in my cars since 2001.