: Infected by virus from this site

burg
09-06-12, 09:55 AM
The other thread has been going for almost a week and this problem still isn't resolved. No, the warnings are not a false positive. The admins should have pulled ads until they got to the bottom of this. Seriously... here we are a week later? Ridiculous and irresponsible. Anything for a $.

I decided to ignore the warning from both Google and Firefox this morning and managed to pick up a bunch of viruses/trojans/rootkits/or malware. Those calling this a false positive are wrong. After loading one of the forum pages from a Google search a UAC dialog appeared requesting confirmation for Flash to make changes. I repeatedly hit no, but the dialog continued to come up. I restarted and Microsoft Security Essentials picked up on the threats immediately: VirTool:Java/Fragload.A, Trojan:Win32/Medfos.gen!A, and Trojan:Win64/Sirefef.AF. Malwarebytes picked up two copies of Rootkit.0Access. Running TDSS Killer now.

Submariner409
09-06-12, 12:19 PM
This is the first indication that someone has picked up something other than an inconvenience. I flagged your post to the moderator/admin queue.

burg, What AV or internet protection software was operating on your system when you received indications of your "infection" ?

admin
09-06-12, 12:26 PM
Our SysAdmins are aware of the issues and are working on them right now actually.

burg
09-06-12, 01:07 PM
This is the first indication that someone has picked up something other than an inconvenience. I flagged your post to the moderator/admin queue.

burg, What AV or internet protection software was operating on your system when you received indications of your "infection" ?

Sub, Microsoft Security Essentials.

JimmyH
09-06-12, 02:05 PM
Did another full scan on my workstation this morning. Nada. And I clicked past all the warnings. I haven't gotten a warning in a few days now.

JimmyH
09-06-12, 05:05 PM
It seems that any trojans or rootkits are getting installed through java. My personal advice (not speaking on behalf of the forum) is to disable or uninstall Java. Unless you need it, get rid of it. Java is crapware software you shouldn't be using anyway.

burg
09-06-12, 11:23 PM
It seems that any trojans or rootkits are getting installed through java. My personal advice (not speaking on behalf of the forum) is to disable or uninstall Java. Unless you need it, get rid of it. Java is crapware software you shouldn't be using anyway.

It's possible, but I'm leaning towards Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash was the program listed in the UAC dialog that popped up after the page loaded.

drewsdeville
09-07-12, 12:49 AM

Says the guy who scans his computer with the AV software he/she claims they don't run...

Disabling or uninstalling Java to accomodate a broken site like this one is moronic advice. Java has specific advantages other common programming langauges that you'll find like C and C++, which is why it remains popular. Eliminating Java inherently limits compatibility (perhaps necessary compatibility) with many other applications.

JimmyH
09-07-12, 01:28 PM
you would know

Ranger
09-08-12, 01:04 AM

It's possible, but I'm leaning towards Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash was the program listed in the UAC dialog that popped up after the page loaded.
I wonder if any of this could be related to my inability to view YouTube videos posted here or otherwise?

Submariner409
09-08-12, 04:09 PM
Ranger,Go to Control Panel on your computer, open "Add or remove programs" and look at the list of what's on your computer. Right at the top will be an Adobe reader and maybe 2 or 3 Flash programs and updates. If there is NO mention of Flash, that may well be why you can't watch some types of linked video.

Over in your browser search box type in "adobe flash player", click and look at the downloads by Adobe.

JimmyH
09-08-12, 04:15 PM
No his flash player is broken. Happened to me a while back.

Submariner409
09-08-12, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that. During all this "attack" discussion I went to Control Panel and dumped the existing Flash player and 600+ mB of "updates", then downloaded the newest Flash (V. 11). The old player must have been screwed up because now online video loads and seems to play "faster".

Ranger
09-08-12, 05:15 PM
I already tried that at Jimmy's direction and supervision (uninstall and reinstall). No joy! :(
I currently have "Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX", "Adobe Flash Player 11 plugin" & "Adobe Reader X".

JimmyH
09-08-12, 07:39 PM
active x is for IE, plugin is for Firefox. Chrome has flash built-in.

dkozloski
09-09-12, 01:35 PM
You Flasher guys are weird.

JimmyH
09-09-12, 01:36 PM
that's what my wife says