: Check engine help!?!?

CadyGirl23
09-05-12, 03:33 PM
I have a 1992 cadillac Seville . The service engine light comes on, the defroster comes on all by itself, can't shut it off and my O.B.D. says that there is no ecm data, no ipc data, no sir data,ect,ect..? Went to a local shop to have it hooked to a hand held scanner and it said no communication. Does anyone have any ideas??? Oh and it still runs, and runs great!
Thanks

dennis93coupe
09-05-12, 11:29 PM
You shouldn't need a hand held scanner, Cadillacs in your model year don't get along with scanners to well. I would say that if you can't pull codes on your dash, the BCM might be going kaput. I don't know enough about Seville's ability to display codes, what it normally will or will not. A lot of the OBD I weren't capable of displaying much more than BCM and PCM data. Have you posted in the Seville forum? If you want I could ask a moderator to move your post to a forum with more traffic.

cadillac_al
09-06-12, 09:07 AM
I guess you can't read your codes if the BCM is bad. A bad BCM will default to high defrost all the time. That is an annoying enough reason to start shopping for another BCM.