: Ceramic coating?

TheDarkKnight
09-05-12, 02:23 PM
Have a high end detailer that puts a ceramic coating on the exterior of the car that protects it from swirls, scratches etc. only have to hand wash car and no waxing for 2-3 years. Can be applied to wheels as well, which is good for brake dust issues. Apparently this is leaps and bounds better than the simonize crap dealers sell. They are asking $750 for installation and a pre-install in depth detailing, removing any imperfections to paint.

Anyone have any experience in using this, or have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Mike

MSOsr
09-05-12, 02:39 PM
My car has been Opti-Guarded. The paint was detailed first and then I paid $200 for the Opti-Guard treatment. My car has stayed flawless since, requiring only washing.

Mike (loves the outcome)

larry arizona
09-05-12, 03:52 PM
Been detailing for years on the side and frankly have never been impressed with "paint protection" products. New car dealers its a scam. My V came with it (original owner fell for the scam) and it didnt do shit, First day I got it I clay barred it and pulled a shit ton of rail dust out of this so called protected paint (dealer charged $900).

I can say I am not up to date on this ceramic coating or even Opti gaurd (yes I have seen the pics and ur detailer did a great job).

But I get unreal results from dawn wash, clay, wheel with Meguiars #2 and wool pad, followed by 3M perfect it and foam pad, 2 coats of Zaino Z5 pro , 2 coats of Zaino Z2 pro and Z6 and Z8 for detailer the rest of the time. Its a long detail once a year and easy to maintain with normal hand wash (z7) and z6 and Z8 detailer. This is on Black too! $90 in zaino will get you easily 2 years of coverage.

cruiser68
09-05-12, 04:26 PM
But I get unreal results from dawn wash, clay, wheel with Meguiars #2 and wool pad, followed by 3M perfect it and foam pad, 2 coats of Zaino Z5 pro , 2 coats of Zaino Z2 pro and Z6 and Z8 for detailer the rest of the time. Its a long detail once a year and easy to maintain with normal hand wash (z7) and z6 and Z8 detailer. This is on Black too! $90 in zaino will get you easily 2 years of coverage.

+1 on the prep and zaino except I do 3 coats of z5 and 2 coats of z2pro with z2 in between. I can't get a year out of it so I usually do it spring and fall. Even with a decent winter, I can usually get 9 months out of it. Mine is also black and I haven't found anything I like better yet. Easy on, easy off, lasts a long time, looks great. Granted it is a long day to detail but well worth it.

larry arizona
09-05-12, 05:46 PM
Ahhh I put my to bed for winter. SO I suppose 2 x a year might be true.

Purple87SS
09-05-12, 10:39 PM
Oakes? He does good work. What's the charge for just ceramic protection? 2-3 yrs life, that's tough to believe if your car is a daily driver and will see northeast winters. Please keep us updated if you pull the trigger. I'm sure Oakes will also post the pics on his Facebook page if ends up doing it.

TheDarkKnight
09-05-12, 10:51 PM
Oakes it is! He quoted me between $650-800 depending on how much work he has to do to prep car. My new V isn't my daily driver, so I will garage it over the winter. Bring her out on a dry day here or there. Waiting on new wheels then I'm gonna have them do the car. Will post pics when done

NC_Tech007
09-11-12, 04:36 PM
Ugh, I think it's a scam. If this magic protestant works so good, why didn't the manufacturer just include that to all their cars?

MSOsr
09-13-12, 01:42 AM
I can tell you I've been detailing my cars for more than 30 years and the Opti-Guard is a game changer. The normal $600 "dealer prep" is a kid detailing the car and probably doing more damage to the paint than doing nothing. My car has never looked better after the "correction" followed by the Opti-Guard.

My 350Z had 59 layers of Zaino Z2 and was not as perfect as my V coupe.

Mike (was also skeptical)