: 'Radar Cruise Not Ready' after increasing speed

StuSTS
09-05-12, 11:38 AM
Of course, the 4 yr bumper-to-bumper warranty expired TODAY, and a problem just crept up. The dealer can't take me until tomorrow which means this will be on my dime unfortunately. Here's what happens:

HUD on, ACC engaged. When I increase speed using the turn signal switch, the cruise control clicks off, the collision warning horn sounds, and 'RADAR CRUISE NOT READY' is displayed. No amount of waiting and no combination of restarting the HUD or cruise will solve. The only solution is to shut off the engine and restart it. Restarting the car solves the problem 100% of the time, so it isn't atmosphere related or any kind of dirt on the emblem that is causing it--definitely a short somewhere.

Has anybody experienced this? I'm mentally prepared for a new switch, which is about $60 and 1.6 hrs of labor according to AllData... hopefully it won't be more than $200 out of the door.

curtc
09-05-12, 12:59 PM
I get CLEAN RADAR occasionally, radar is CLEAN, nothing in front of me...can't use the cruise again unless I turn off the car and turn it back on, happens a few times/week...not too worried about it, not worth it.

EChas3
09-05-12, 07:46 PM
A very heavy rain has produced a 'Clear Radar' warning for me twice this Summer. I've still got some extended-warranty left so if it happens again, in it goes.

turnne
09-05-12, 08:56 PM
I get CLEAN RADAR occasionally, radar is CLEAN, nothing in front of me...can't use the cruise again unless I turn off the car and turn it back on, happens a few times/week...not too worried about it, not worth it.

I agree with you

I have gotten that message once when it was misting rain outside

Its has never done it again...though to be clear I rarely use the function

Warren

curtc
09-06-12, 12:53 PM
Couldn't drive without CC, would drive me insane.

EChas3
09-06-12, 09:13 PM
^^^ I hope I never have to drive another without it.

turnne
09-06-12, 10:06 PM
^^^ I hope I never have to drive another without it.

well I guess it would all depend on what it cost to fix....that could determine whether you fixed it or traded the car

I believe you traded a car because the HG was going south?

it seems to me if there was a way to not to the have the use the laser part of the cruise..if there was issues...it would be a lot better

My extended warranty specifically says "laser cruise systems are not covered"

actually I would have liked to have had the emergency braking features ...that others cars offered...that was regulated by their laser systems

Warren

Ludacrisvp
09-07-12, 01:00 PM
Ours uses radar, not lasers. So you should be covered.

StuSTS
09-07-12, 02:04 PM
Getting back on topic, the dealer couldn't duplicate my problem. Figures. I think it is unfamiliarity with the system. They seemed impressed by the car, and are a combined Buick GMC Cadillac dealer. Picking it up in a little bit and I'm sure it'll happen to me the first time out the gate!